does anyone rebuild manuial rack and pinions on here

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• does anyone rebuild manuial rack and pinions on here

anyone rebuild them or steer me in the direction of a rebuild kit for one not just seals

Send a pm to M3ntal. He was offering kits and I believe he also rebuilds them.
    Jerry
    Team Lightning

Owner of Team Lightning
    90 L "Peewee" B6D. Bought new May 16,1990
    92 L Thunder BP G5M-R Turbo B6T electronics. Jan 2016 FOTM winner SOLD
    93 L Lightning. BP

Not a user of drugs or alcohol, Just addicted to Festiva's

Comment

Ive got his # even better thnx

Comment

How would, or if could this apply to aspire?

I have 6 manual racks, and one power assist that needs rebuild and I need to double check if rack and bushings are the same.

Sent from my rooted HTC Supersonic using Tapatalk 2 Pro

Comment

I rebuilt an aspire manual rack with marks bushings, I was having some major steering issues at the time and I swapped in 3 different racks, but the problem didn't change regaurdless, so I can't say the result was good or bad.

Aspire racks interchange with Festiva racks, the thread pitch for the inner tie rods is the same, and the mount locations are the same, but the gear inside the aspire rack is thicker than the Festiva rack by enough that marks bushings won't work unless you bore them out a little more. It's easy with sandpaper but if you go a couple thousandths too far you'll feel slop in the wheel. Also mark uses a set screw to press the bushing against the gear to hold it in place, it popped out on me, then I tightened it down more and the bushing cracked and a chip fell out. I drilled holes in the bushing and used longer set screws to prevent lateral play 180* apart.
          2008 Kia Rio- new beater
          1987 F-150- revived and CLEAN!!!
          1987 Suzuki Dual Sport- fun beater bike
          1993 Festiva- Fiona, DD
          1997 Aspire- Peaspire, Refurb'd, sold
          1997 Aspire- Babyspire, DD
          1994 Aspire - Project Kiazord
          1994 Aspire- Crustyspire, RIP

"If it moves, grease it, if it don't, paint it, and if it ain't broke don't fix it!"

Comment

I've re-built some as well - a manual festy rack just fits in one of the USPS flat rate boxes that costs around $17. I should re-build one or two and do it as an "exchange" program. I make delrin bushings just like mark did.

Not trying to steal his business... but if he can't get one done for you let me know and we'll work something out.
            ~Nate

the keeper of a wonderful lil car, Skeeter.

Current cars:
            91L "Skeeter" 170k, Aspire brakes, G15, BP, Advancedynamics coil overs, etc. My first love.
            1990 Kawasaki Ninja 250 - my gas saver, 60+mpg - 40k
            2004 MotoGuzzi Breva - my "longer range" bike - 17k

FOTY 2008 winner!

Comment

Originally posted by skeeters_keeper View Post
              I've re-built some as well - a manual festy rack just fits in one of the USPS flat rate boxes that costs around $17. I should re-build one or two and do it as an "exchange" program. I make delrin bushings just like mark did.

Not trying to steal his business... but if he can't get one done for you let me know and we'll work something out.
              How much would you charge to rebuild two for me? I and will bring them to you at madness 704-794-2041
              Barbie Car - '90 L-plus_2nd Gen SOHC B6+rear turbo @ 8 psi
              Festycul - '9? 5spd_full roll cage, completely gutted, hydro g-series, B6T @ 15psi, rocketchip ecu,Willwood master cylinder, Mit. Galant VR-4 rotors, Hawk racing pads, capri knuckles, 323 LCA's, BrideLow Max seats, 5pt. harness, lexan windows, fuel cell, aluminum radiator, 323 coilovers
              Elvis - '93 L 5spd_B3+T build in progress
              WhiteGirl - '93 GL Immaculate shape, deciding what to build with it?

Comment

My southern find has the power rack, and they ran it with no boots, and you can easily clock 11-1 and nothing happens. Heh. Reason I asked if the rack and pinion were the same between power and non power assist.

Last edited by jason_; 09-24-2013, 06:51 AM.

Comment

sure wish I knew the aspire rack was same as festy I scrapped a aspire with power rack.

Comment

so who thinks that brass bushings could be made for the rack seems like it would work

Comment

Someone gives me some serious tight #s I could turn something on the lathe.

I don't have anything handy to tear apart that's not dd, and the one that is apart I don't know what a good factory measurement would of had been.

Last edited by jason_; 09-24-2013, 12:04 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by 1chrisapple View Post
                        so who thinks that brass bushings could be made for the rack seems like it would work
                        Oilight Bronze would be better than brass. Wears longer and is impregnated with oil.

Corksport makes shifter bushings out of the same material.
                        Last edited by drddan; 09-24-2013, 12:35 PM.
                        Dan

Red 1988 Festiva L - CUJO

Black 1992 Festiva GL Sport - BLACK MAGIC

I'm just...a little slow... sometimes:withstupid:

R.I.P.
                        Blue 1972 Chevelle SS-468 C.I.D. B'nM TH400-4:56 posi-Black racing stripes-Black vinyl top-Black int.
                        Black on black 1976 Camaro LT-350 4 bolt main .060 over
                        Silver 1988 Festiva L

My Music!
                        http://www.reverbnation.com/main/sea...t_songs/266647

Comment

thnx dan

Comment

Originally posted by drddan View Post
                            Oilight Bronze would be better than brass. Wears longer and is impregnated with oil.

Corksport makes shifter bushings out of the same material.
                            looked it up and wow it's not cheap by anymeans
                            McMaster-Carr is the complete source for your plant with over 595,000 products. 98% of products ordered ship from stock and deliver same or next day.

Comment

or you can get the delrin rod like m3ental used much cheaper
                              McMaster-Carr is the complete source for your plant with over 595,000 products. 98% of products ordered ship from stock and deliver same or next day.

Comment

Working...
                              X