Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hot wire or Bypass highlight relay control module??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hot wire or Bypass highlight relay control module??

On the way to work, dark and raining, I put the headlights on. I only ever, since owning the festy, had just the high beams. I already ordered new bulds and was going to replace them for starters this weekend, they are on the way..

lights came on then went out. I have parking lights and dash lights. The bright light indicator on the dash is out. By reading a couple posts here, figured it might be the relay. I am many miles from home and most my tools. is there a quick and easy way to by pass the relay and hot wire until I get home.. still raining and it will be dark on the way home... by the way this past weekend, i did put a meter on the headlight bulb harness and had voltage which made me order new bulbs. 12v on low and 12v on high beams, even though only high beams worked..

just need a quck fix ideal today..

Thanks
    David
    93 L

Same thing just happened to me. I pulled the headlights and changed the relay behind the passenger light. The relay is mounted to the inner fender next to the airbox. Also check the two behind the drivers headlight. Of course check your fusible link marked "head" first.

Sent from Kingston Ga from my hillbilly handheld
    90 festy with 92 FI motor. Digital camo paint. BHAF. short throw. currently 47 MPGs

Comment

Fusible link ok.. inner fender near the airbox, havent look there.. what is the relay by the bottle on the driver's side.. you mention two on the driver's side. are those little buggers mounted relays or are part of the wiring harness going to the lamps?
      Thanks

Comment

On the drivers side there is 3 relays. I had to replaced the ones that had h270 written on them they are below the bottle. Easiest access is through the headlight socket with the headlight removed. Hope this helps

Sent from Kingston Ga from my hillbilly handheld
        90 festy with 92 FI motor. Digital camo paint. BHAF. short throw. currently 47 MPGs

Comment

festy1.jpgfesty2.jpgI attached a couple pics. what is this relay for in pic#1 or is the headlight relay inside the light bracket? and in pic
          #2 same question is this relay for the headlights?

Comment

Anyone have a wiring diagram of the 93's headlamp system they can share/post?

Comment

Here's the diagram for a 92. Sorry, can't locate my 93 AllData disc at the moment but this should get you very close.

If a hammer doesn't fix it you have an electrical problem

WWZD
              Zulu Ministries

Comment

The '92 and '93 schematics look exactly the same, same connections and wire colors.
                When I'm good I'm very, very good and when I'm bad I'm HORRID.

Comment

thanks, tough to read, but I can make it out. hope I can get home before it gets dark here... anythoughs which wires to try to jump to bypass the relays? If I ground the system as it looks like in the diagram for the headlight switch you think that might pop them on?

Comment

I have power to the headlight relay, I can hear and feel it clicking when I pull the bus fuse on and off sending it power. The two red wires have voltage. can I jump red/blk to one of the red wires and the other red to the white on the relay connector? I was told there is two headlight relays one on the driver's side (found it) and one behind the air box.. that one I haven't found. on the diagram I only see one relay marked headlamp relay. the other relay is for the parking lights. is that the one behind the air box? I am lost and any suggestion would be very helpful... another question how do i rule out the switch on the steering wheel?

Comment

took suggestions from other threads, I sprayed the headlight switch where it rotates, where it attached to the colum and in the key slot with WD-40.. I am awaiting the magic.... daddy needs headlights...

Comment

UGH! WD-40 was a no go.. I took off the twisty cap from the headlight switch.. contacts looked cleand.. sprayed them anyways. hosed down the entire multi position module.. no lights..
                        So I jumped the heads lights. I ran a jumper wire from a splice in the driver's side red/blue wire on the the headlamp to the postive battery.. brights poped on.. brights lights had already been adjusted down from the low beams not working when I got the car. hoping to get the wheel off and pull the multi switch to do a good connections test. wire colors did not match to the drawings. The wires look factory.. got to get the schematics...

I found on ebay the FSM for the entire eletrical system for the 93 festiva.. it will be here soon.. I will chase out everything again.

pain in the neck to keep opening the hood and connecting the jumper to the battery for lights...

Comment

^^ Wire it to a toggle switch and 12v relay until you find the gremlin
                          If a hammer doesn't fix it you have an electrical problem

WWZD
                          Zulu Ministries

Comment

Done! I took the wheel off and sprayed the hell out of the switch off the column. Note the cap off the head light stalk must be pinched to removed.. opps broke it, however it still works, may take a little hot glue in the cap and slide it back on. sprayed the stalk after cap was off. And then heavy spray of WD40on every part within the switch assembly, then blown off with compressed air.. It works, everything, dims, high beams and flash to high beams. put everything, back, wheel, column covers, and finished..

Thanks to everyone.
                            David

Comment

Working...
                            X