worn crank keyway

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• worn crank keyway

So just curious how does one fix a slight rounded keyway edge.

My solution was to just add a small weld bead to crand and grind/ file very precisely to get a sharp edge agian.

Was this an acceptable repair. I know u r not supposed to weld cast iron with a mig and 75/25 but it was just a 2 second weld

are you trying to fix key stock, or fix the crank nose?
    Trees aren't kind to me...

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),
    94 Justy 4WD, 87 Fiero GT, plus 2 parts cars. That's my fleet.

Comment

Crank nose keyway was rounded a little so i welded and ground it down is this acceptable

Comment

depends on how you welded it... cast takes a high nickle filler and needs preheated, otherwise it's a cold weld and if you know anything about welding, that's a bad thing.
        Trees aren't kind to me...

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),
        94 Justy 4WD, 87 Fiero GT, plus 2 parts cars. That's my fleet.

Comment

Yup. Preheat and on cast you need to use 99% nickel rod. I've done it.

Sent from my rooted HTC Supersonic using Tapatalk 2 Pro

Comment

Since you already welded it and shaped it I would say put it together and run it. I've welded a couple of things with mig that should have nI rod. if it works its fine if it doesn't it will let you know. Mac

Comment

Ya it wasnt even enough to really get hot just enough to sharpen the keyway back up

Comment

Working...
              X