Resonator Yea or Nay?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Resonator Yea or Nay?

Have any of my fellow Festiva owners bought this? Mine is rattling and it sounds like a truck even with a new muffler....will this quiet my rumble? Or is there another remedy?

Free Shipping - Walker Exhaust Intermediate Pipes with qualifying orders of $109. Shop Exhaust Pipes, Intermediate Pipes at Summit Racing.

Thanks...Mark
    92 GL, 98k
    77 Chevy shortbed

I don't even see a resonator on there.

Usually I just add a glass pack where a resonator would be. Helps tone things down a bit.
    91GL BP/F3A with boost
    13.79 @ 100, 2.2 60' on 8 psi and 155R12's

Comment

If you want just a resonator instead of the full pipe you can get one cheaper from Ebay. We just installed a 2" stainless system on my car and a Borla Pro XS muffler. I've been thinking of getting the Ebay resonator to help tone it down a little on the top end...but I need to try running it with the cat installed first
      If a hammer doesn't fix it you have an electrical problem

WWZD
      Zulu Ministries

Comment

When I had my dickmeyer header installed I had a 2" stainless steel exhaust bent up with

Magnaflow stainless cat 2"in/out
        Magnaflow Stainless resonator 18"long core (longest one I could find w 2" in/out)
        And a magnaflow stainless straight through center in/out 2" in/out (matched closely to stock size muffler)
        With stainless tubing bent and stainless welds 2"

I must say that it sounds great.
        It's got a nice tone to it louder than stock.
        Quiet at idle and lower Rpms.
        And sings at higher rpms with a nice clean note.

Not too loud
        Not too raspy
        Not too deep
        Not to high pitched
        No rattling
        Etc.

I would reccomend a resonator it cleans up the sound quite a bit.
        Keeps it from sounding like a Honda with too big of exhaust.

My last header back exhaust on the same car had
        Tri-y header
        Stock cat
        No resonator
        Stock muffler
        1.75" bent pipe from the cat back.

And it had a sound I didn't enjoy.
        It was high pitched at higher revs.
        And the note wasn't clean at all.
        Almost rattly sounding.
        And it was louder than it should be even at low-mid rpms
        And I didn't enjoy it at all.
        Last edited by rmoltis; 09-27-2013, 01:43 PM.
        Running 40psi.....in my tires.

http://aspire.b1.jcink.com/index.php?showtopic=611&st=0

Comment

None of my standard over-the-counter and front to back on the car Walker exhaust systems have included a resonator and I've never had any noise problems.

Comment

Red Rocket had a bad rear muffler which fell off, had a pipe from resonator back put on, sounded good, not too loud. Took it to get inspected and failed because it did not have muffler. Had a glass pack put on which was louder than with pipe from resonator back. Passed inspection. Have found less picky inspection place.

White Rocket came with no cat, no resonator and generic oval muffler in back. A bit loud but sounds good. Car seems a bit friskier than Black Rocket which has cat, resonator, and generic oval muffler.

Red Rocket 2 has everything from the cat back rotted off. Sounds loud and awful.

I've been taking all my vehicles to an independent muffler shop for years. I tell them what I want, guy puts it up on the lift, bends pipe, welds, done. I am careful to always warm up the exhaust system before shutting down. Even to the extent of going an extra mile or two after a short trip. Keeps the system from rotting off too soon.

Paul
            Last edited by Paul39; 09-27-2013, 08:56 PM.
            Red Rocket 1988 L, 133,XXX miles, 4 sp. AC, hit guard rail in snow, RIP, saved everything but body
            Black Rocket 1988 L 207,XXX miles, 4 sp. AC, engine, trans, wire harness, radiator from RR
            Red Rocket 2 1988 L 138,XXX miles, 4 sp
            White Rocket 1989 L 128,XXX miles, 4 sp. AC

Comment

Originally posted by avitsefdrof View Post
              Have any of my fellow Festiva owners bought this? Mine is rattling and it sounds like a truck even with a new muffler....will this quiet my rumble? Or is there another remedy?

Free Shipping - Walker Exhaust Intermediate Pipes with qualifying orders of $109. Shop Exhaust Pipes, Intermediate Pipes at Summit Racing.

Thanks...Mark
              I was going to order that same part from summitracing. I called and talked to a rep there about the resonator not being pictured
              and he told me the pictures are not necessarily the same as what you will be getting and it has a resonator.

I got this from Rockauto instead. The pipe is slightly larger than the original and it did not have a resonator but it sounds fine.

1992 FORD FESTIVA 1.3L L4
              WALKER 47613 Pipe $ 75.89 $ 0.00 1 $ 75.89
              WALKER 31367 Pipe Flange Gasket / Seal $ 1.46 $ 0.00 2 $ 2.92
              WALKER 18210 Muffler $ 33.79 $ 0.00 1 $ 33.79
              Discount $ -5.63
              Shipping First Class Mail, Ground $ 21.27
              Order Total $ 128.24
              I installed these parts on the 92GL that I recently sold.

I ordered a pipe and exhaust earlier this year for my 89 and it did have a resonator.
              Ordered it on Amazon from AP Exhaust Products (Part 78123) 70.79, Exhaust Part 3278 36.14.
              I could not tell much difference in the sounds.
              Last edited by 1990new; 09-27-2013, 09:30 PM. Reason: Wrong exhaust order...

Comment

My editing time ran out...

I had a hard time getting the heat shields to fit around both of them.. (easier on the one without the resonator).
                Finally did get them attached but had to used larger pipe supports from hardware store to go around the pipe.
                Last edited by 1990new; 09-27-2013, 09:34 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Paul39 View Post
                  I am careful to always warm up the exhaust system before shutting down. Even to the extent of going an extra mile or two after a short trip. Keeps the system from rotting off too soon.

Paul
                  I thought that too. 10 years of 30 mile 1 way trips to work and back, I can't win. The moment it's welded, it'll ruin. Burns off galvanize/coating and it's downhill from there.....

Factory Welds and costing and gaskets/donuts/flange clamp is the only way. My opinion.

Sent from my rooted HTC Supersonic using Tapatalk 2 Pro

Comment

Thanks for all the input/replies everyone.....
                    92 GL, 98k
                    77 Chevy shortbed

Comment

1990new...did your cars have a stock sound after the install? I don't want a fart can sound....too old for that. Thanks again. lol
                      92 GL, 98k
                      77 Chevy shortbed

Comment

1990new...did your cars have a stock sound after the install? I don't want a fart can sound....too old for that. Thanks again. lol
                        I'm not 1990new but I have 3 Festys and none have, or had, resonators on them and they sound like any other small car. I have noticed though that the Walker downpipe from the exhaust manifold to the Cat is double wall construction and likely that helps keep down noise. In the same vein I've never had a hankering for tube headers only because they're inherently noisy.

Comment

Just like Bert said, the sound is normal for a small car.... and I'll bet I'm older than you.
                          Last edited by 1990new; 09-28-2013, 05:08 PM.

Comment

Working...
                          X