One thing led to another

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• One thing led to another

So I bought my 89 festiva a few months ago. It has no back seat and needed new front tires. I knew that going in when I bought it. Well the other day I got a flat tire, and thus began a fun little project. I relaized I didnt have the lug wrench to get the tire off. But I had a 14mm socket that I was trying to use. Needless to say I couldnt get the tire off no matter how many times I pulled and jumped on the wrench. I ended up breaking one socket trying to get it off with the breaker bar I had. Then I tried an impact drill and still no go...I went to auto parts store and bought deep creep and finally that mixed with another carbon socket I bought I was finally able to get the tire off. I then tried to get the tire plugged at a few different places. But because the tire was so old and worn it wasnt until I went to a few different places that I was able to get it plugged but it was leaking and didnt work. I had this number of a lady who lived about 1.5 hrs away on the other side of the island in makaha that had a 97 festiva she had posted on CL and still had no luck selling it. I went to her house early in the morning and wish I had the money to get it towed so I could use it for parts. But it was blue and was sitting for a good while because the mass flow air sensor went bad and she wasnt able to get the part to fix it. Well I ended up buying a two tires off of her and bought her backseat for $65. I got home and put the new tire on and the backseat in. The seat belts were tough to figure out how to get it though, there is no slice in the back plastics where the seat belt slides through so I just put it through a little different way. Ill post pictures later. But just wanted to share the experience. I knew find 12 in tires would be hard to find but man, unless i order through tire rack or something these tires are gonna be tough to come by. But the car is running great and the gas mileage is still awesome, so I think it will be worth the trouble to deal with the tire issues. Next project will fixing my alignment because its off and body work to prep for a paint job.

This forum is awesome btw, loving all the great people and community here.

Tires are a problem even in california. Even when you purchase 14 or 15 inch wheelx not everyone wants to stock a low progile tire so that rubbing will not occur.
    1993 GL 5 speed

It's a MazdaFordnKia thing, and you will understand!

Comment

I imagine that in Hawaii it will be even tougher to find 12" tires. Try to find some 13" Metro rims (1995 and later) so you can upgrade to better and more available tires. You can even mix and match 12s and 13s; I'd recommend putting the 13s on front and 12s on the rear. And as a bonus you will end up with a full-size 12" spare, not a temporary tire.
      90 Festy (Larry)--B6M (Matt D. modified B6 head), header, 5-speed, Capri XR2 front brakes, many other little mods
      09 Kia Rondo--a Festy on steroids!

You can avoid reality, but you can't avoid the consequences of avoiding reality--Ayn Rand

Disaster preparedness

Tragedy and Hope.....Infowars.com.....The Drudge Report.....Founding Fathers.info

Think for yourself.....question all authority.....re-evaluate everything you think you know. Red-pill yourself!

Comment

Now you know why I have a 3/4" breaker bar with impact sockets in my arsenal. Nothing can stand in it's path.
        Last edited by bravekozak; 10-13-2013, 06:46 AM.

Comment

^^ And a cheater bar.
          90 Festy (Larry)--B6M (Matt D. modified B6 head), header, 5-speed, Capri XR2 front brakes, many other little mods
          09 Kia Rondo--a Festy on steroids!

You can avoid reality, but you can't avoid the consequences of avoiding reality--Ayn Rand

Disaster preparedness

Tragedy and Hope.....Infowars.com.....The Drudge Report.....Founding Fathers.info

Think for yourself.....question all authority.....re-evaluate everything you think you know. Red-pill yourself!

Comment

Originally posted by TominMO View Post
            ^^ And a cheater bar.
            Worked on a certain axle nut, that is for sure!
            Contact me for information about Festiva Madness!
            Remember, FestYboy is inflatable , and Scitzz means crazy, YO!
            "Like I'm going to suggest we do the job right." ~Fecomatter May 28 2016.

Comment

No cheating!

No mercy.

No retreat.
              Last edited by bravekozak; 10-13-2013, 12:36 PM.

Comment

Thanks for the great feedback and thoughts. Its def a problem to find and buy tires here. Even looking for some metro rims seems impossible. But its all worth the trouble because I love this car. Thanks for the links to breaker bars. I am def gonna invest in one so I dont have to keep borrowing a friends!

Comment

buy a torque wrench and put them on right the first time. breaker bar to remove and torque wrench to install. total cost outlay for both tools: $35 at HF and worth the $$$.
                  Trees aren't kind to me...

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),
                  94 Justy 4WD, 87 Fiero GT, plus 2 parts cars. That's my fleet.

Comment

Originally posted by FestYboy View Post
                    buy a torque wrench and put them on right the first time. breaker bar to remove and torque wrench to install. total cost outlay for both tools: $35 at HF and worth the $$$.
                    Great point. Thanks, I love HF such great deals on stuff and decent quality it seems too.

Comment

Also, 69 ft/lbs to install. Easy number to remember
                      -Zack
                      Blue '93 GL Auto: White 13" 5 Point Wheels, Full LED Conversion, and an 8" Sub

Comment

I always put antiseize on the lugs which helps with getting them off

Comment

Don't forget to put some on the center hole too....that way you only have to beat them off with a BIG hammer once...

Comment

Working...
                          X