"Snow" Tires?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Snow" Tires?

Interesting. I've never used them, and I probably still won't, but it's interesting anyway.
    Any difference that makes no difference is no difference.

Old Blue- New Tricks
    91 Festiva FSM PDF - Dropbox

We use to have an AMC Eagle 4 x 4 that we had studded snow tires on all 4 wheels. There wasn't anywhere that thing wouldn't go in ice or snow. Our driveway is partially shaded by trees and any ice that formed on the road would be there all winter. I use to punch the gas on the ice to see what the tires would do. When you looked at where you spun the wheels on the ice, there were chewed strips in the ice where the studs had dug into the ice.
    You gonna race that thing?
    http://www.sdfcomputers.com/Festivaracing.htm

Comment

Studs are illegal in southern Ontario. They are legal in Northern Ontario. They chewed up the roads too much. Salt is completely legal. Bye, bye sheet metal. That is why there are no more Festivas around here anymore.
      Last edited by bravekozak; 10-15-2013, 07:23 AM.

Comment

Seriously? You've never used them? You don't know what you're missing then.
        91GL BP/F3A with boost
        13.79 @ 100, 2.2 60' on 8 psi and 155R12's

Comment

Nope, never used them at all. Almost nobody does here. I have some friends from Vermont that don't even bother since they moved here.

You just either slow down or have a fun/horrific drive - depends on your perspective. My first snow storm as a working adult I had a 98 Cavalier 5 speed. Thing was WAY tail happy, and would slide on a dry road in the summer through the curves. It had no front sway bar, and cheapo all seasons. That was fun.

Anyway, nope. All seasons all the time.
          Any difference that makes no difference is no difference.

Old Blue- New Tricks
          91 Festiva FSM PDF - Dropbox

Comment

Originally posted by Festy46 View Post
            We use to have an AMC Eagle 4 x 4 that we had studded snow tires on all 4 wheels. There wasn't anywhere that thing wouldn't go in ice or snow. Our driveway is partially shaded by trees and any ice that formed on the road would be there all winter. I use to punch the gas on the ice to see what the tires would do. When you looked at where you spun the wheels on the ice, there were chewed strips in the ice where the studs had dug into the ice.
            I own an AMC Eagle and I've got it in a shop right now hopefully putting a "new" engine in it soon!
            -Rafe-

Things I have for sale.
            Random Festiva Parts
            Festiva Non-Swoopy Power Drivers Mirror

Comment

I wouldn't go without winter tires. The difference they make is beyond description.
              Ian
              Calgary AB, Canada
              93 L B6T: June 2016 FOTM
              59 Austin Healey "Bugeye" Sprite

"It's infinitely better to fail with courage than to sit idle with fear...." Chip Gaines (pg 167 of Capital Gaines, Smart Things I Learned Doing Stupid Stuff)

Link to the "Road Trip Starting Points" page of my Econobox Café blog

Comment

Studded tired are so awesome.
                91 Festiva L "Erika" b3t swap on the way
                06 Jeep Cherokee Overland
                95 Aspire (sold)

Comment

Working...
                X