Resuscitation of my Festiva

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Resuscitation of my Festiva

Eight months of no-shows, low-ballers, and tire-kickers have destroyed my motivation to try selling the white B6T car for now, so I threw plates and insurance back on her yesterday and set to work. She fired right up after I charged the battery, checked the basics, and did some preventative maintenance like a fresh oil change.

Issue #1: White Smokescreen

On a very cold, steamy, and wet day after eight months of exhaust moisture buildup and having pressure washed the heck out of the engine bay, I expected a fair bit of white smoke. It was more than I expected though... and because it isn't that thick or smelly, I think my head-gasket is probably okay for now. My theory is that I just had to cook the moisture buildup out of the exhaust baffles and soundproofing. Perhaps there's a buildup of moisture in the intercooler I should check/drain as well. It is still pretty impressive white/clear smoke on cold start-ups though, even after putting an hour or two of driving on her.

Issue #2: Blue Smokescreen

Imagine what your tailpipe emissions would look like without valve stem seals. Eight months of neglect created a billowing cumulonimbus monstrosity of blue oily smoke. After five minutes of idle/warm-up and three blocks of driving, it was gone. Is this the norm for eight months of sitting stationary? My guess would be a combination of gaskets re-sealing, seals re-oiling, and fasteners re-torquing themselves. Could have also been residual oil buildup in the catalytic converter from back when I had blown turbo seals. Either way... it seems to be mostly gone now.

Issue #3: Bipolar Engine

0-4000RPM is smooth as silk... great pep, spool-up, and idle - drives like a brand new motor and pulls a lot harder than my 289 Cougar. That said, under very specific conditions, she falls flat on her face: full boost, full throttle, and high revs. Fuel pump is a fresh 255LPH Walbro, fuel filter is a fresh Fram unit, and boost is still factory governed. Given this never happened before, I'm leaning towards (pardon the pun) crappy gas. She's 2/3 full... half of which is eight months old and the other half of which is 87 octane. Thoughts on this one? My strategy is either to top it up with 94 or just run it down and start back on 91 again.
    1988 Chevy Sprint Turbo 997cc

To give you a better idea of what a cold start-up looks like, here's a one minute video.

Comment

I'd throw a bottle of HEET gas dryer in there--there are two formulations, one in a red and one in a yellow bottle. Get the one which says it's isopropyl alcohol. That should clear up your gas issue (water in the gas from sitting).

Glad you kept it BTW.
      Last edited by TominMO; 10-25-2013, 03:56 PM.
      90 Festy (Larry)--B6M (Matt D. modified B6 head), header, 5-speed, Capri XR2 front brakes, many other little mods
      09 Kia Rondo--a Festy on steroids!

You can avoid reality, but you can't avoid the consequences of avoiding reality--Ayn Rand

Disaster preparedness

Tragedy and Hope.....Infowars.com.....The Drudge Report.....Founding Fathers.info

Think for yourself.....question all authority.....re-evaluate everything you think you know. Red-pill yourself!

Comment

Aaron, you need to pull your plugs and take a good look at your piston tops before you start it up next time (cold engine), i'm betting that you have valve seal issues or coolant leaking into the chamber. you shouldn't be smoking like that (instantly) just from moisture buildup (that's not all water BTW).
        Trees aren't kind to me...

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),
        94 Justy 4WD, 87 Fiero GT, plus 2 parts cars. That's my fleet.

Comment

Originally posted by TominMO View Post
          I'd throw a bottle of HEET gas dryer in there--there are two formulations, one in a red and one in a yellow bottle. Get the one which says it's isopropyl alcohol. That should clear up your gas issue (water in the gas from sitting).

Glad you kept it BTW.
          Roger that - thanks Tom!

Originally posted by FestYboy View Post
          Aaron, you need to pull your plugs and take a good look at your piston tops before you start it up next time (cold engine), i'm betting that you have valve seal issues or coolant leaking into the chamber. you shouldn't be smoking like that (instantly) just from moisture buildup (that's not all water BTW).
          Sounds good, Arty. I'll take a good look first thing in the morning and let you know what I find!

Comment

+2 that's too much smoke right off the bat like that

Comp test it

The hesitation is likely from old gas
            1991 Mercury Capri XR2 "GTXR2" BPT Swapped AWD Conversion

Rocketchips!
            High Flow B3/B6/BP VAF Adapters for sale!
            Bolt-on Weber Carb Adapters!

Comment

This was the car you were trying to sell cheap (at least IMO) just before Christmas last year? Holy cow, and what a shame. My problem in entering a bid was the exorbitant ($1500) shipping cost to Ontario.

Comment

Originally posted by Bert View Post
                This was the car you were trying to sell cheap (at least IMO) just before Christmas last year? Holy cow, and what a shame. My problem in entering a bid was the exorbitant ($1500) shipping cost to Ontario.
                Were you not in a position to fly there and drive it back? That would have been cheaper.
                90 Festy (Larry)--B6M (Matt D. modified B6 head), header, 5-speed, Capri XR2 front brakes, many other little mods
                09 Kia Rondo--a Festy on steroids!

You can avoid reality, but you can't avoid the consequences of avoiding reality--Ayn Rand

Disaster preparedness

Tragedy and Hope.....Infowars.com.....The Drudge Report.....Founding Fathers.info

Think for yourself.....question all authority.....re-evaluate everything you think you know. Red-pill yourself!

Comment

Originally posted by Bert View Post
                  Yep... but you know what, I'm happy to keep it until the right offer comes around.

Originally posted by Rocketman View Post
                  +2 that's too much smoke right off the bat like that

Comp test it

The hesitation is likely from old gas
                  Roger that, Matt. Thanks bud. I threw a 15oz bottle of Lucas octane fuel something something in the tank, and the placebo effect has been awesome so far.

Comment

There's a picture from cylinder three. Though it is really hard to see even with a high power flashlight, there were either little droplets or specks of something by the looks of it.

This car normally cranks very quickly and starts up sometimes almost instantly, but this morning was a little rough. A few minutes later after polishing up my grounds and removing some bolt rust, she was good as new.

Comment

PCV valve was clogged with so much gunk I could barely even believe it. Seems to have killed off 90% of the smoke though!

Comment

Ran a half can of Seafoam through the intake manifold this morning. Oddly enough, there was very little smoke beyond what I already had. It seemed to actually smoke LESS with the Seafoam than without it oddly enough. How on earth does that happen? One strange thing I noticed was that my PCV line (clear vinyl tubing) got steamy and foggy... perhaps indicating that some of the Seafoam got into the crankcase somehow. Any thoughts on that one? I did order valve stem seals this morning also.

Comment

Hi Aaron... just noticed your "Saturday Night Live" license plate
                          Last edited by fastivaca; 10-28-2013, 04:34 PM.
                          Ian
                          Calgary AB, Canada
                          93 L B6T: June 2016 FOTM
                          59 Austin Healey "Bugeye" Sprite

"It's infinitely better to fail with courage than to sit idle with fear...." Chip Gaines (pg 167 of Capital Gaines, Smart Things I Learned Doing Stupid Stuff)

Link to the "Road Trip Starting Points" page of my Econobox Café blog

Comment

Excessive blowby? Comp test #'s?
                            1991 Mercury Capri XR2 "GTXR2" BPT Swapped AWD Conversion

Rocketchips!
                            High Flow B3/B6/BP VAF Adapters for sale!
                            Bolt-on Weber Carb Adapters!

Comment

Unfortunately, when my valve cover gasket failed to properly seat, cylinder four's spark plug hole filled with scalding hot oil. The car continues to run perfectly fine, but it has filled the spark plug hex nut gap in melted rubber or something... making it effectively impossible to get a socket on the piece. Getting that junk out so the spark plug can be removed/cleaned/gapped for compression testing is important, but I don't know how exactly given residue from chemicals may seep into the combustion chamber and a propane torch may damage or compromise the coating of the spark plug.

Comment

Working...
                              X