Carbed and FI cam difference

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Carbed and FI cam difference

I may have found something out by accident. I have an '89 LX that I bought in 2006 (carbed). It had a cracked block so I bought an Aspire engine and installed it using the Aspire hla rockers and the Festy camshaft (originally with mechanical lifters). The cam is stamped with a "B101". Then I switched to a 1st gen B6 from an '89 Mazda 323. Hla lifters like before with the B101 cam. This car has had a rough idle and low vacuum (16 inches and jiggling needle) it seems like ever since I bought it. (of course the original motor was screwed) Yesterday I was playing in the garage and found a cam that I bought at Pull a part 2 years ago but never installed it. It was from a '91 Festy and the casting number is "B308". I went ahead and put it in and viola! 20 inches of vacuum and the idle was smooth! I think it may be important to use the correct cam with the correct lifters. Don't mix a carbed cam with HLA's and vice versa. I know someone will say I must have been off a tooth or something but over the years I have checked for that about 6 times. I hope this helps someone.
    Last edited by zoe60; 10-31-2013, 10:57 AM.

Fi and carb cams are the same. The fi festy has a fuel pump lobe still. Its the whole aspire cam design that is not
    1993 GL 5 speed

It's a MazdaFordnKia thing, and you will understand!

Comment

^X2

I've used all 3 types of rockers on the same cam. No issues. I think something else was going on here.
      Any difference that makes no difference is no difference.

Old Blue- New Tricks
      91 Festiva FSM PDF - Dropbox

Comment

I always thought so too. Just thought I would throw it out there. The cam is the only thing I changed and it solved a big problem I've had with this car. Almost didn't post this but I thought it might help someone. I always blamed it on the intake but it runs fine with it now. I know I'm not gonna put the B101 cam back in! It will be interesting to see what it does to my fuel economy.
        Last edited by zoe60; 10-31-2013, 12:02 PM.

Comment

well if it solved ur problem with rough idle and low vacuum then it don't matter what everyone else says at least u got her going better than ever.anybody have proof the cams are the same between them other than the fact they used them and they worked .lol

Comment

I think Matt posted that they are the same, IIRC. When he first started here and someone said there should be a difference. Lemme search.

EDIT: My apologies. Brain fart. See correct info below. Specs are valve lift.
            Originally posted by mattdickmeyer
            hyd '90-'93 B3 .374 IN .378 EX
            mech '88-'89 mechanical has slightly less lift typically .008-.012
            hyd roller '94-'97
            .382 lift IN/EX
            So almost the same.
            Last edited by sketchman; 10-31-2013, 01:29 PM.

Old Blue- New Tricks

Comment

Originally posted by 1chrisapple View Post
              well if it solved ur problem with rough idle and low vacuum then it don't matter what everyone else says at least u got her going better than ever.anybody have proof the cams are the same between them other than the fact they used them and they worked .lol
              Yeah, I'm no mechanical engineer and I know nothing about measuring cam lobes but I just drove a hundred miles and the difference is night and day. Who knows, it could have been something else that I mistakenly did. When I got home I threw my B101 cam in the trash!

Comment

My thinking was that it could have been a more worn cam. Especially with the sliding rockers. Then when you changed to a slightly larger engine the problem was more noticeable. IDK, though. I could see that if the mech cam is already a TINY bit smaller to begin with, that after 100s of Ks of running then put into a bigger engine it would show more. But again, that's just speculation.

Old Blue- New Tricks

Comment

Does anyone remember of the top of their head what the fms performance and competition cam lifts were?
                  Last edited by bravekozak; 10-31-2013, 02:46 PM.

Comment

Just found some by accident.

FMS Comp Cam .449" IN .445" EX

Again lift at valve.

Old Blue- New Tricks

Comment

Is there an oversize exhaust valve available for B3 or b6?
                      1993 GL 5 speed

It's a MazdaFordnKia thing, and you will understand!

Comment

Matt's valves.

Old Blue- New Tricks

Comment

Working...
                        X