Purchasing a new Festiva?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Purchasing a new Festiva?

I guess by the title you can tell the question. I am a first time Festy buyer and I just want some opinions on whether or not I should go through with this deal. Its a 1991 Festiva L with about 300,000 miles. The seller is asking $900 for it. It needs some serious body work (which he is helping with) but it runs great and has had many components recently replaced (timing belt, battery, brakes). Thoughts and opinions are appreciated!

If the 'serious body work' is rust, CHECK the rear beam mounting points. That is the largest rust concern on these cars. 300k miles is high, but if it's been taken care of, it should have atleast another 50-100k+ out of it.

$900 for a rusty (if that's what it is), 300k miles base-model Festiva is fairly high.. though if the suspension is in good/great shape, that will cut down on a lot of 'after-sale costs'. Check it over, make sure it's drive-able. Take it on the interstate to about 60 and feel for wheel wobbles, ect.

Anyway! Welcome to the site and good luck in your future Festiva endeavors! Adding your location to your profile is always helpful, too. Someone local might be able to help if you need something.

-Joe
    White '92 GL 5-speed BP, G series, Aspire/Rio swapped, "Nancy"
    White '89 LX 5-speed, Aspire swapped, Weber carb
    1988 LX 5-speed
    ​​​1993 L 5-speed B8, E series, Aspire/Rio swapped

Gone:

1986 Chevrolet Sprint 1990 L Plus Auto

Comment

I was able to test drive it and it really does run great. The clutch is smooth and there is no wobble out of the ordinary for a vehicle that old. Thanks for your help Joe, I'll do my best to keep everybody posted.

Comment

Good luck! If you get it, please post pictures for us! We don't care if it's been rolled 10 times, we still love Festiva pictures.

If you get it, you might need an injection or two. The 'Festiva Flu/Bug' is a silent killer (to your pocketbook, family, and driveway)! You start thinking "Would getting a 40 x 40 pole barn be that bad of an idea.. I need a place to park my Festiva collection.." :p

-Joe
        White '92 GL 5-speed BP, G series, Aspire/Rio swapped, "Nancy"
        White '89 LX 5-speed, Aspire swapped, Weber carb
        1988 LX 5-speed
        ​​​1993 L 5-speed B8, E series, Aspire/Rio swapped

Gone:

1986 Chevrolet Sprint 1990 L Plus Auto

Comment

"wobble out of the ordinary for a vehicle that old"

There shouldn't be any wobble, regardless of age. However, any wobble is pretty darn easy/cheap to fix on these little cars.
          If the motor and trans is good on a Festy, it's worth buying and fixing anything else wrong with it. You'll make up any loss in gas mileage and insurance costs.

Comment

Okay thanks yall. I don't know if my age shows on my profile but I'm young and new to the whole car buying experience. I know enough about cars to get me through the day but this is going to be quite the project. Thanks for all the help

Comment

Working...
            X