Spindle Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Spindle Question

I have an aspire rear on my 93 festiva and have a question about the reverse spindle threading. When I did the swap I went for the adage of tightening towards the front of the vehicle, meaning reverse threads on drivers side. I've seen a few posts recently that suggest it should be on the passenger side. Can anyone confirm this? If so is there a logical reason why?
    1993 Festy, 1.6SOHC, Aspire Suspension
    Stripped to bare bones, SCCA RallyX

Reverse threads on passenger side. I don't have a logical reason

Sent from somewhere west of here via Tapatalk!
    Last edited by fastivaca; 11-05-2013, 04:12 PM.
    Ian
    Calgary AB, Canada
    93 L B6T: June 2016 FOTM
    59 Austin Healey "Bugeye" Sprite

"It's infinitely better to fail with courage than to sit idle with fear...." Chip Gaines (pg 167 of Capital Gaines, Smart Things I Learned Doing Stupid Stuff)

Link to the "Road Trip Starting Points" page of my Econobox Café blog

Comment

Thanks, From what I gather I guess that's how they built them. The confusing part is that means the wheel is naturally trying to loosen the nut on both sides, which defeats the purpose of reverse threading. (regardless of the spindle washer) Any chance you know if the tab on the spindle mount should be on the top or bottom?

Comment

Sorry Duplicate post.
        Last edited by Team Lightning; 11-05-2013, 04:28 PM.
        Jerry
        Team Lightning

Owner of Team Lightning
        90 L "Peewee" B6D. Bought new May 16,1990
        92 L Thunder BP G5M-R Turbo B6T electronics. Jan 2016 FOTM winner SOLD
        93 L Lightning. BP

Not a user of drugs or alcohol, Just addicted to Festiva's

Comment

All the tabs I've dealt with are on the top. That's the spot where the nut is bent into the axle to secure it.
          Last edited by Team Lightning; 11-05-2013, 04:46 PM.
          Jerry
          Team Lightning

Owner of Team Lightning
          93 L Lightning. BP

Comment

Originally posted by Team Lightning View Post
            All the tabs I've dealt with are on the top. Tha'ts the spot where the nut is bent into the axle to secure it.
            The tab i'm describing is on the base of the rear spindle mount pictured here (in black) on the bottom, that seemed like the logical fit. But while I have them apart I figured id see if there was a proper way to put them back on.
            IMG_1526.jpg

Comment

It looks correct to me from your photo.
              Jerry
              Team Lightning

Owner of Team Lightning
              93 L Lightning. BP

Comment

The passenger side spindle is left hand threads.
                And the driver side should be right handed threads.

I'm assuming its so that the nut wouldn't by some chance become overly tightened
                And bind the wheel bearing and increase rolling resistance.

But on the same note it shouldn't come loose or become tightened
                Since there is a wheel bearing nut cover that locks the nut in place
                and has a codder pin through the spindle to hold itself (wheel bearing nut cover)in the correct position.

Also in the factory service manual.
                All the illustrations/pictures shows that flat spot/tab on the spindle on the top side.
                Last edited by rmoltis; 11-05-2013, 05:18 PM.
                Running 40psi.....in my tires.

http://aspire.b1.jcink.com/index.php?showtopic=611&st=0

Comment

I'm confused, he says his Aspire spindles use crimp nuts, all of my Aspire spindles have cotter pins and castle nuts, is there a difference in Aspire years.
                  An idea can turn to dust or magic, depending on the talent that rubs against it.

Comment

All mine have the crimp nuts. I have 2 Aspire swapped cars. 1 is a 96 and the other is a 97.
                    Last edited by Team Lightning; 11-05-2013, 07:37 PM.
                    Jerry
                    Team Lightning

Owner of Team Lightning
                    93 L Lightning. BP

Comment

Both my aspires have had the wheel bearing nut covers with the codder pin through the spindle.
                      Years 95+96.

I think previous owners may have just had maintenance done.
                      And the mechanics used crimp nuts on certain vehicles.

The factory service manual breakdown of the rear drums shows wheels bearing nut covers & codder pins only.

But I only have the 96 model year fsm.
                      Last edited by rmoltis; 11-05-2013, 08:53 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by rmoltis View Post

I'm assuming its so that the nut wouldn't by some chance become overly tightened
                        And bind the wheel bearing and increase rolling resistance.

But on the same note it shouldn't come loose or become tightened
                        Since there is a wheel bearing nut cover that locks the nut in place
                        and has a codder pin through the spindle to hold itself (wheel bearing nut cover)in the correct position.

Also in the factory service manual.
                        All the illustrations/pictures shows that flat spot/tab on the spindle on the top side.
                        Thanks, I haven't been able to find a diagram for the rear, should be interesting because I'm not sure it will fit in the backing plate that way. I had a bearing failure as you can see in the picture and it knackered up the spindle. The nut was half melted, the outer bearing completely gone but luckily it was the normally threaded one so hopefully re-cutting the threads won't be too much of a chore. Don't suppose anyone has spare spindle nuts?

Comment

Originally posted by sc72 View Post
                          I'm confused, he says his Aspire spindles use crimp nuts, all of my Aspire spindles have cotter pins and castle nuts, is there a difference in Aspire years.
                          Count your blessings. Castle nuts and cotter pins are much more positive and don't have you running out to buy new stake nuts (which very few folks do) on a regular basis.

Comment

ford changed the Festy spindles in 92 to accept a cotter pin and castelatted cover. I also think they made BOTH side the same thread. (righty tighty, lefty loosy). it would seem logical that they continued this setup on the Aspire spindles also.

Comment

Originally posted by F3BZ View Post
                              ford changed the Festy spindles in 92 to accept a cotter pin and castelatted cover. I also think they made BOTH side the same thread. (righty tighty, lefty loosy). it would seem logical that they continued this setup on the Aspire spindles also.
                              I never understand why car manufacturers do the things they do from year to year.

I'm sure the wheel bearing nut cover and codder pin was for ease of maintenance.

But maybe they had problems with the threads not being reverse on one side.

Maybe it was a combo of people not using stake nuts correctly and coming loose causing wheels to fall off.

my fsm for my aspire says.

Last edited by rmoltis; 11-06-2013, 04:22 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X