Spring cutting methods

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Spring cutting methods

Discuss feasibility and time required to cut coil springs by the following methods:
    1. Cutoff wheel
    2. Sawzall
    3. Emory board

I do not have access to cutting via fire/laser.
    90 Festy (Larry)--B6M (Matt D. modified B6 head), header, 5-speed, Capri XR2 front brakes, many other little mods
    09 Kia Rondo--a Festy on steroids!

You can avoid reality, but you can't avoid the consequences of avoiding reality--Ayn Rand

Disaster preparedness

Tragedy and Hope.....Infowars.com.....The Drudge Report.....Founding Fathers.info

Think for yourself.....question all authority.....re-evaluate everything you think you know. Red-pill yourself!

I would say the cutoff wheel/disc would be the quickest and easiest.

Sawzall would be a bit more time consuming and unless you had a way of holding the spring(s) firmly, may cause the blade to grab and vibrate the spring which could cause very little cutting being done, along with possible blade grab/bend.

Emory board?? May leave a nice surface for painting but not much else.

Comment

I just cut my rio Springs about 20 minutes ago I use the Vice to hold the whole thing up a stone grinder, spring compressors an impact driver to tighten down faster. I did not remove the springs from the assembly I just take the tension off above where I cut. I had to make a second and a third cut one time to get the pieces out but it's all done. I'm not going to be putting them in this week I still have to do the rears and daily drive this car. In the picture you should be able to tell how much coil missing now I already threw away the pieces
      1993 GL 5 speed

It's a MazdaFordnKia thing, and you will understand!

Comment

Same as previous post; electric hand grinder with cutting (as opposed to grinding) disc works like a charm. No muss no fuss and if heating and loss of temper are concerns then merely take frequent breaks or quench with water.
        Dremel I'm very familiar with and is functional but mostly an undersized 'hobby toy' for cutting springs. But what the heck is an 'emory board'?

Comment

Originally posted by Bert View Post
          Same as previous post; electric hand grinder with cutting (as opposed to grinding) disc works like a charm. No muss no fuss and if heating and loss of temper are concerns then merely take frequent breaks or quench with water.
          Dremel I'm very familiar with and is functional but mostly an undersized 'hobby toy' for cutting springs. But what the heck is an 'emory board'?
          Emory board is for filing fingernails, etc. Just threw that in for a joke. It would take about 100 years to cut a spring with an emory board! (And lots of emory boards too.) I gots better things to do with that time.
          90 Festy (Larry)--B6M (Matt D. modified B6 head), header, 5-speed, Capri XR2 front brakes, many other little mods

You can avoid reality, but you can't avoid the consequences of avoiding reality--Ayn Rand

Disaster preparedness

Tragedy and Hope.....Infowars.com.....The Drudge Report.....Founding Fathers.info

Think for yourself.....question all authority.....re-evaluate everything you think you know. Red-pill yourself!

Comment

Cut off wheel. Took me about a minute each.

A good wheel will go through a spring real fast. You might want to place something over the other coils so you don't knick them.

Sent from my SPH-M930BST
            Festiva: Because even my dog can build a Honda.
            ---------------------------------------------------------------------------

'90 L. B8ME/Kia Rio 5 speed. Rio/Aspire suspension swap. :-D
            '81 Mustang. Inline 6, Automatic.
            '95 Eagle Summit Wagon. 4G64 Powered.

Comment

I used a 4" grinder and cutting disc to cut the springs I cut.
              Jerry
              Team Lightning

Owner of Team Lightning
              90 L "Peewee" B6D. Bought new May 16,1990
              92 L Thunder BP G5M-R Turbo B6T electronics. Jan 2016 FOTM winner SOLD
              93 L Lightning. BP

Not a user of drugs or alcohol, Just addicted to Festiva's

Comment

How much stiffer are Aspire front springs vs. Festiva ones? And how much taller?

Disaster preparedness

Comment

I used a hacksaw, wasn't too bad.

Comment

Did a search. Copied this info from a post by floydiancomplex, re Festy springs:

Front Rates, Diameter and Length:
                    14.5" Length Drivers side 14" Passenger side. I think the 1/2" difference is so the car will ride properly with the driver seated--or maybe my old springs were just worn unevenly.
                    4" Outer Diameter up front with about 5/16" wire diameter leaving about 3.625 inner diameter.
                    Front rates are rumored to be either 90 LB/IN or 110 LB/IN. My personal belief is 110 LB/IN

Rear Rates, Length and Diameter:
                    Rear Length is 13.25" on both sides
                    Rear outer Diameter 3 7/8" with about 5/16" wire Diameter leaving about 3.25" inner diameter
                    Rear Rate has been firmly established at 90 LB/IN
                    Last edited by TominMO; 11-07-2013, 08:53 PM.

Disaster preparedness

Comment

Working...
                    X