1992 Festie

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1992 Festie

I thought I was getting a really good bargin when I bought my Festie for $700. So far here is what I have done.

New Windshield Washer Pump
    New Windshield Washer Nozzle
    New T-stat (it did not have one)
    Radiator flush and kit
    New Radio
    New Speakers w/wiring
    Replacement Passenger Mirror
    Replacement Drivers Mirror
    New Interior Dome light
    New LED lights inside the cabin
    removed Viper Alarm system
    removed Air horn system
    Purchasing full rear window washer/wiper system and reseviour

Still need to do -

Repair/Replace seats (either replacement seats or covers)
    Repair Emergency brake
    Get all washer units in working order
    install Read Window Defroster
    Repair/Replace the air control duct on the back of the car under the tailgate door (1 is missing)
    Fix High beam headlights
    Get dome light working with switches (only works when you turn it on)
    Get speakers for front of car hooked up
    Fix or replace Radio Bezel which is clear caulked to the dash
    Fix Both driver and passenger window regulators so window roll up and down properly
    Add some noise suppressing material under carpet so muffler system isn't so loud (this I think is just because it is a super little car)
    Replace broken Left Front turn signal lense (being held together by the same clear caulk as on the dash board)
    Replace Right rear brake light (being held together by black epoxy resign)
    Replace chewed and chipped radiator fan for better cooling
    Replace cracking heater hoses to the radiator.
    Find a battery hold down that is correct for the car (I am sure the factory did not use bungy cords)
    Find the bezels for under the headlights

Well I guess that should be about all I can think of just off the top of my head. I paid $800 for my son's Dodge Intrepid and it needs 2 struts and that's it. Kind of thinking I made the wrong choice. It does get about 40 mpg, but at this point I am not sure it will be worth it.
    She likes it, but I am paying for most of the repair parts and doing all the labor
    Last edited by iriegnome; 11-08-2013, 04:14 PM.

Oh, I just thought I would share a little lack of encouragement towards myself and write down all the things I did not want to have to do as I bought my children their first cars.. Just a little whining on my part.

Comment

Other than the e-brake, I would consider all those to be fairly minor tinkering things, and many of them are not critical or urgent. If you sell it I think you will regret it. If you don't have a JY near you to get parts from, I'm sure there are people here who can help. You will never find another car than a Festy for $700 that is as reliable and economical, and easy to work on.
      90 Festy (Larry)--B6M (Matt D. modified B6 head), header, 5-speed, Capri XR2 front brakes, many other little mods
      09 Kia Rondo--a Festy on steroids!

You can avoid reality, but you can't avoid the consequences of avoiding reality--Ayn Rand

Disaster preparedness

Tragedy and Hope.....Infowars.com.....The Drudge Report.....Founding Fathers.info

Think for yourself.....question all authority.....re-evaluate everything you think you know. Red-pill yourself!

Comment

Well, it is easy to work on. It is a little difficult now that it is 29 degrees out. Spring time will make things easier. Yes, most of the things are tinkering kinds of things, but washers, high beams, e-brake and such are more safety issues. Since I am having my 16 year old new driver use this car, it needs to be as safe as possible and I think that actually includes the interior light as well.. like I said, a little whining on my part.

Comment

Oh, I also need to replace the fuel door due to the lock/spring closer is rusted out and falling off, so the fuel door doesn't really close all that well.

Comment

Ok whiner :smile:

I will make you feel a little better ...I paid $1100 for my 92 GL, and I am swapping the motor out because the motor it came with is shot!
            It also need new axles and front wheel bearings.

But on the bright side it is a rust free festy from texas and the e-brake does work!
            Dan

Red 1988 Festiva L - CUJO

Black 1992 Festiva GL Sport - BLACK MAGIC

I'm just...a little slow... sometimes:withstupid:

R.I.P.
            Blue 1972 Chevelle SS-468 C.I.D. B'nM TH400-4:56 posi-Black racing stripes-Black vinyl top-Black int.
            Black on black 1976 Camaro LT-350 4 bolt main .060 over
            Silver 1988 Festiva L

My Music!
            http://www.reverbnation.com/main/sea...t_songs/266647

Comment

Well I installed the new radio with a couple of speakers I had here. Left side of the radio is blown. Not working at all.
              So I get to add a New Radio onto the list.

Comment

seems minor to what I had to do when I bought my last festiva or the one before that. but oh well it's all in the fun of
                owning one and they can't all be brand new like my first one was in1991. chin up and power thru it.

92 GL was red automatic Ms Va., now Zinc Yellow

Comment

Originally posted by drddan View Post
                  I will make you feel a little better ...I paid $1100 for my 92 GL, and I am swapping the motor out because the motor it came with is shot!
                  Whiner.
                  90 Festy (Larry)--B6M (Matt D. modified B6 head), header, 5-speed, Capri XR2 front brakes, many other little mods
                  09 Kia Rondo--a Festy on steroids!

You can avoid reality, but you can't avoid the consequences of avoiding reality--Ayn Rand

Disaster preparedness

Tragedy and Hope.....Infowars.com.....The Drudge Report.....Founding Fathers.info

Think for yourself.....question all authority.....re-evaluate everything you think you know. Red-pill yourself!

Comment

I am! :smile: .... but I WAS just trying to make him feel better
                    Last edited by drddan; 11-08-2013, 07:36 PM.
                    Dan

Red 1988 Festiva L - CUJO

Black 1992 Festiva GL Sport - BLACK MAGIC

I'm just...a little slow... sometimes:withstupid:

R.I.P.
                    Blue 1972 Chevelle SS-468 C.I.D. B'nM TH400-4:56 posi-Black racing stripes-Black vinyl top-Black int.
                    Black on black 1976 Camaro LT-350 4 bolt main .060 over
                    Silver 1988 Festiva L

My Music!
                    http://www.reverbnation.com/main/sea...t_songs/266647

Comment

Did you find out who stole your tools.
                      An idea can turn to dust or magic, depending on the talent that rubs against it.

Comment

that Intrepid... what engine does it have?

...and no, the struts are NOT the only thing it needs (.50 BMG through the block should be added to the list). pay close attention to the tierod adjusting sleeves and the inner tierod bushings, as well as the rear subframe mounts. the front ends of those cars are ALWAYS falling apart.
                        Trees aren't kind to me...

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),
                        94 Justy 4WD, 87 Fiero GT, plus 2 parts cars. That's my fleet.

Comment

Originally posted by iriegnome View Post
                          I thought I was getting a really good bargin when I bought my Festie for $700. So far here is what I have done.

New Windshield Washer Pump
                          New Windshield Washer Nozzle
                          New T-stat (it did not have one)
                          Radiator flush and kit
                          New Radio
                          New Speakers w/wiring
                          Replacement Passenger Mirror
                          Replacement Drivers Mirror
                          New Interior Dome light
                          New LED lights inside the cabin
                          removed Viper Alarm system
                          removed Air horn system
                          Purchasing full rear window washer/wiper system and reseviour

Still need to do -

Repair/Replace seats (either replacement seats or covers)
                          Repair Emergency brake
                          Get all washer units in working order
                          install Read Window Defroster
                          Repair/Replace the air control duct on the back of the car under the tailgate door (1 is missing)
                          Fix High beam headlights
                          Get dome light working with switches (only works when you turn it on)
                          Get speakers for front of car hooked up
                          Fix or replace Radio Bezel which is clear caulked to the dash
                          Fix Both driver and passenger window regulators so window roll up and down properly
                          Add some noise suppressing material under carpet so muffler system isn't so loud (this I think is just because it is a super little car)
                          Replace broken Left Front turn signal lense (being held together by the same clear caulk as on the dash board)
                          Replace Right rear brake light (being held together by black epoxy resign)
                          Replace chewed and chipped radiator fan for better cooling
                          Replace cracking heater hoses to the radiator.
                          Find a battery hold down that is correct for the car (I am sure the factory did not use bungy cords)
                          Find the bezels for under the headlights

Well I guess that should be about all I can think of just off the top of my head. I paid $800 for my son's Dodge Intrepid and it needs 2 struts and that's it. Kind of thinking I made the wrong choice. It does get about 40 mpg, but at this point I am not sure it will be worth it.
                          She likes it, but I am paying for most of the repair parts and doing all the labor
                          That's a lot of scratch you paid for a car with that many deficiencies. On the other hand $800 won't even get you a decent set of tires for a domestic 4x4 or hubcaps for a Mercedes. I got my first Festy for $50 (10 years ago) only because the naive 'little old lady owner' faced new brakes, exhaust, ball joints etc etc etc that all added up to $1500 at the dealer. I was back out on the road with it for $300 in parts and a couple of weekend's of work. And 150,000 km later it's still going except that I've always hated auto trannys. These "lousy" little cars are addictive, I'll give you that. Led me to seek out two more Festys that were 5 speeds. Climb a curb, run straight through a snow bank or park in the motorcycle rack at a grocery chain store and these 'run forever on a tank of gas' cars can really grow on you.
                          Too bad they didn't do like VW and continue to make the 'same' car for 1/2 century. I don't doubt that the reason all 3rd world Beetles are white in colour is that the serial number and colour description of the car is the only thing original that remains after 50 years once a determined owner decides to stick with a brand and dispense with the paperwork of new, or transfer, ownership.

That and when you discover there are other idiots, like yourself, that freely share their knowledge of these cars, and their parent/offspring engines to make a grocery getter into a track burner

Comment

I must say, I am glad to know so many people have the same style issues with their cars that I have. I had expected a fix here and there, just a little overwhelmed with so many things. However, I do realize that while most of these things that I need to do are fiddley, I should also admit, I hate turning wrenchs. Don't have much a real choice. By the way, I owned my Aspire for 8 years before the transmission blew up. At that time there were no replacements available. I love these little cars.

Comment

your defiantly not alone man, I hear stories all day long of people saying they bought Festivas for 50 dollars or have had multiple ones given to them ect, ect. I've actually never bought one cheap nor have I ever owned one that was particularly "nice". In fact the clunker of a work car I own, was supposed to only have a fuel leak but turned out to have 3 holes on the engine block, along with all the windows being broke out and a handful of other issues I ended up with a ridiculous amount of time and money it.. oh well! I'd do it again and I have! Every one of my Festivas has turned out to be a real project of its own, perhaps one day Ill buy one that's good to go lol.
                              89 LX (461xxx miles original motor and trans, retired)
                              90 L (restoration in progress)
                              91 L (saved from abusive owner lol)
                              92 L (DD)
                              88 (model unknown, rust free, possible project)
                              88-89 (parts car. practically picked to the bone)
                              93 GL (parts car)

Comment

Working...
                              X