Will this cable work?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Will this cable work?

Since my speedo doesn't work I'm thinkin its the cable....but since I cannot get one of the screws out of the bezel without destroying the bezel or dash I haven't confirmed that yet. I've got a manual tranny/5speed....will this cable work for me?

or, if it will, does anyone have one for less?

Thanks guys, Mark
    92 GL, 98k
    77 Chevy shortbed

I would not buy the cable until I determine exactly what the problem is. Besides, not all cables are the same length. The tach cluster cables are slightly longer in order to reach the far side of the cluster. Do you have a tach cluster? If not, do you want one? If so, what color? Orange or white lettering?

Did you strip the screw head? If not, use a brand new bit to get it out. A drill would be great to provide the torque needed. I usually use my variable speed Metabo Big Bull at the highest torque, slowest speed. Otherwise, I like to use a diamond tip Wera to provide some extra bite.
    Last edited by bravekozak; 11-15-2013, 08:02 AM.

Comment

First thing you want to do is establish that the cable is actually at fault. Remove the sending unit at the tranny and then pull out the cable. If it's still squared at both ends then there's nothing wrong with the cable. Oftentimes you can remove stripped screws with a small set of ViceGrips. If they're flat head and recessed you may have to drill them out. There is also an inexpensive bit called an E-Z Out that is a reverse thread and expanding drill bit for removing stripped-head screws of the Robertson/Philips and Torx variety. I have used them on occasion and they do work.

Comment

brave and bert....thanks for the replies....the nut on the back of the bolt/screw is spinning and there is no easy way to get to it....its on the top right of the cluster so its tough to get to..I'm thinkin of gently grinding off the screw head..:cry_smile:

I do have a tach cluster in orange and a tilt column that i'm putting in when time allows...so i'll have to determine at that time exactly what the issue is with the cable....thanks for the tips....I usually buy now and regret later...lol.
        92 GL, 98k
        77 Chevy shortbed

Comment

Originally posted by avitsefdrof View Post
          ..the nut on the back of the bolt/screw is spinning and there is no easy way to get to it....its on the top right of the cluster so its tough to get to..I'm thinkin of gently grinding off the screw head..:cry_smile:
          If I recall, the cluster is attached via screws through captive spring clips. You did get the bezel or trim piece off I gather? You wonder what auto shops do when they've quoted someone $50 to replace a dash cluster and then they can't get one or two screws loose without breaking things. Once you get all this sorted out you can back off the cable and sheath all the way to the firewall exit and then re-route beside the column instead of through it so as to be ready for the tach cluster install. It's plug and play once the cable has been moved over.

Comment

I went out and had a look at my spare dash. The bezel is held by captive clips and screws but the instrument panel itself seems to just screw into tube and integral plastic. May be if you have all the other screws out you can slowly withdraw the stripped screw while pulling/prying out on the cluster. You're not going to get it too far out, just far enough to get a hand in to unclip the speedo cable. It's a white thing and has a tab that you depress while pulling out on the cable.
            Good luck!

Comment

If you remove the cable at the trans, you can spin the inner cable, and see if the speedo jumps, if it does, it is good.

That Ebay cable is overpriced, IMHO.
              Contact me for information about Festiva Madness!
              Remember, FestYboy is inflatable , and Scitzz means crazy, YO!
              "Like I'm going to suggest we do the job right." ~Fecomatter May 28 2016.

Comment

When mine broke in half i just puled the inner cable out and pushed the new one in. Easy peasy. I think i have another cable but i am in south dakota right now.
                91 Festiva L "Erika" b3t swap on the way
                06 Jeep Cherokee Overland
                95 Aspire (sold)

Comment

Originally posted by avitsefdrof View Post
                  brave and bert....thanks for the replies....the nut on the back of the bolt/screw is spinning and there is no easy way to get to it....its on the top right of the cluster so its tough to get to..I'm thinkin of gently grinding off the screw head..:cry_smile:

I do have a tach cluster in orange and a tilt column that i'm putting in when time allows...so i'll have to determine at that time exactly what the issue is with the cable....thanks for the tips....I usually buy now and regret later...lol.
                  I meant to say.....the bolt that's spinning is the last one holding the bezel, not the cluster.....my bad.
                  92 GL, 98k
                  77 Chevy shortbed

Comment

Working...
                  X