Spring rates?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Spring rates?

Whats the stock spring rate (in pounds) of the front coil springs of a festy?

Can't tell you about spring rate numbers but I'm guessing that you're investigating alternatives seeing as your upcoming baby doesn't feature an engine up in the front.

Comment

i plugged the spring measurements into the boxes of an online spring rate calculator and came up with about 91 lbs/inch of compression. the specs i measured from a new front spring are: wire diameter - 10.05mm / coil diam. - 106mm / uninstalled height - 352mm / number of active coils - 7. the front springs on the Japanese GT-X are slightly beefier with a wire diameter of 10.5mm yielding about 110lbs/inch of compression.

Comment

^yea !! What he said . I remember reading someplace they were 130 but not sure on that .
        New build on the way .

Comment

Thanks guys , on the shogun , ive cut about 2-3 coils to make it sit right , but when you jack it the spring comes loose. I was figuring out an alternative.

Comment

Originally posted by shadetree View Post
            ^yea !! What he said . I remember reading someplace they were 130 but not sure on that .
            I think that was the 4 door pride springs or something? 130 rear would be perfect.
            2008 Kia Rio- new beater
            1987 F-150- revived and CLEAN!!!
            1987 Suzuki Dual Sport- fun beater bike
            1993 Festiva- Fiona, DD
            1997 Aspire- Peaspire, Refurb'd, sold
            1997 Aspire- Babyspire, DD
            1994 Aspire - Project Kiazord
            1994 Aspire- Crustyspire, RIP

"If it moves, grease it, if it don't, paint it, and if it ain't broke don't fix it!"

Comment

the front spring from a kia wagon (part# KK138 34 011B) has 9 active coils. if you cut it down to 6 coils, it would be a good inch shorter than a stock coil and have a 140#/in rating. mostly due to the increase wire diameter (about 10.6mm). the 40%+ increase over stock might be a little too stiff if you're doing a mid engine shogun.

Comment

Nah its for the front , it has nothing up front cept gas tank / batt / rad / ect. If I get it down on its stock coils , it wont even compress one bit , so I was looking for same length but softer coils.

The rear had 325# but is compresses to the max (rear has Raceland for golf MK1 fronts.) From the 8" coils I had about 1" of travel left in them when the car sat on the ground. I ordered Hypercoils from ebay with a 425 pounds rating. Thats gonna give me some room to play with.

Comment

Working...
                X