Moving a car from Oshkosh,Wisconsin to Romney,WV

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Moving a car from Oshkosh,Wisconsin to Romney,WV

I'm looking for the most cost effective way to move a car from Wisconsin to wv .
    I will be doing some work for a forum member and need to find a decent way to get his car moved . The member is stationed in japan at this time . I'll be trying to complete it before he gets home !
    We are waiting on responses from online moving companies and I suggested to make a post and get ideas from the forum !
    The car is a non runner at the time ,due to clutch failure and other small issue .
    Any thoughts you have would be great and I'm sure this member would appreciate them .
    I really don't see a reason why I'm not saying his name ( he is a marine serving our country )I'm sure he doesn't care . I guess it's a respect thing , giving him the choice .
    Thanks .
    New build on the way .

B6d car with wheel dolly. Lol
    Or relay the thing.

Comment

That's the plan for now . But with renting the dolly and getting the car ready for a 28 hour round trip I'm looking for ideas . I have been checking state laws and yet to find an issue with doing that so might be the only option
      New build on the way .

Comment

If rear wheels are going to be on the ground, check the laws for current license plates. Some states allow a two wheel dolly to pull a car with expired plates, some won't. In which case you would have to get a trailer.
        Thom-Lifes too short, don't blink
        93 Festiva (Little Red Truck)
        01 F-150 (Big Red Truck)

Comment

Call Elliott at 1-866-384-7085. I have used him several times for moves across country. He will work a deal where the car gets put on a trailer as a space becomes available. Mention that it is for someone in the military.

Comment

Rent a 16 foot uhaul. Put it inside. A tow truck driver with the flat bed can raise the car high enough to put it inside it. Or get a penske and find a loading dock.

Someone may be driving that way from craigslist.

I got my old buick shipped from tenessee to new mexico for 800 bucks off uship.com (saw the tv show lol)
            91 Festiva L "Erika" b3t swap on the way
            06 Jeep Cherokee Overland
            95 Aspire (sold)

Comment

Wow, I was just in Romney WV to pick up 2 Festys I bought. Small world.
              1993 Ford Festiva L blue 170,000 miles
              1990 Ford Festiva L Plus white 190,000 Auto, currently waiting to have another engine put in.
              1995 Ford F150 XLT black 203,000 miles
              2002 Honda CRV silver 180,000 miles
              2003 Toyota Rav4 Sport black 94,000 miles
              2008 Sym Rv250 dark grey 30,000 miles. My scooter.
              1989 Ford Festiva LX black 233,000 miles. Sold to my better half's son.

Mike

Comment

All of this seems so expensive...lol drive out there and just put yourself up in a hotel and fix it out there...

Comment

Originally posted by redspire View Post
                  All of this seems so expensive...lol drive out there and just put yourself up in a hotel and fix it out there...
                  Haha. I should have mentioned I'm doing a lot of work to the car . Not just a few things . Although I have thought about driving out for clutch replacement and driving back but it needs other work as well .
                  New build on the way .

Comment

Originally posted by Chobobulous View Post
                    Rent a 16 foot uhaul. Put it inside. A tow truck driver with the flat bed can raise the car high enough to put it inside it. Or get a penske and find a loading dock.

Someone may be driving that way from craigslist.

I got my old buick shipped from tenessee to new mexico for 800 bucks off uship.com (saw the tv show lol)
                    I checked into the uhaul thing and a dollar a mile is expensive plus fuel on top !
                    New build on the way .

Comment

Hard to beat cost wise of flat towing it back with another Festiva, even a B3 ATX will get the job done!
                      '93 Blue 5spd 230K(down for clutch and overall maintanence)
                      '93 White B6 swap thanks to Skeeters Keeper
                      '92 Aqua parts Car
                      '93 Turquoise 5spd 137K
                      '90 White LX Thanks to FB71

"Your God of repentance will not save you.
                      Your holy ghost will not save you.
                      Your God plutonium will not save you.
                      In fact...
                      ...You will not be saved!"

Prince of Darkness -1987

Comment

@ shadetree:
                        What about not moving the car at all--just bring back the motor and tranny, or whatever parts need worked on. Is that feasible, given what needs done to it? Either fit parts into your car or on a small trailer. Do what can be done in WI, bring back the rest.
                        90 Festy (Larry)--B6M (Matt D. modified B6 head), header, 5-speed, Capri XR2 front brakes, many other little mods
                        09 Kia Rondo--a Festy on steroids!

You can avoid reality, but you can't avoid the consequences of avoiding reality--Ayn Rand

Disaster preparedness

Tragedy and Hope.....Infowars.com.....The Drudge Report.....Founding Fathers.info

Think for yourself.....question all authority.....re-evaluate everything you think you know. Red-pill yourself!

Comment

Due to the extent of the repairs I have to have the car here . If it was a simple clutch replace I could do it there .
                          New build on the way .

Comment

I will check on flat tow laws . That seems to be most cost effective .
                            New build on the way .

Comment

Originally posted by shadetree View Post
                              I checked into the uhaul thing and a dollar a mile is expensive plus fuel on top !
                              It is usually cheaper with uhaul to just pick up a truck from where the car is located and drive it back so you don't have to pay for the mileage

Comment

Working...
                              X