Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Shift boot that fits the stock shift lever?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shift boot that fits the stock shift lever?

Call me unimaginative, but I've been looking for a decent-looking shift boot to replace the rubber one on my LX console, and I've not been able to find anything on eBay with any kind of specs, so I thought I'd retreat back to the Knowledge Base and ask around. Whatever you have, I'd like to see pictures of! Thanks
    In love with a MadScientist!:thumbright:
    There's a fine line between breathtaking ingenuity and "That's the stupidest thing I've ever seen!"

I bought an auto zone special (the black leather red stitching) and put it on over the rubber one (so it had a base to grab). It looked neat at first but wasnt tall enough to reach from the very bottom to the bottom of the knob. There was like a 2-3" gap.

I suppose if you're crafty you could fan something up. Most materials that would be good for that kinda thing would be cheap as balls, and you get the option to make it what you will. Or you could do what the Honda boys do and get a crown Royal bag and throw that on. Lolol

-James
    Est. 1989 "Bringing laughter and festiva awesomeness to the world since birth" banana time

Comment

I installed an old Pathfinder transfer case boot from the junkyard. They gave it to me for free. They normally only charge for metal. Mu problem started right after I took that picture. I bought black leather seats, new black carpet, gray console insert and a custom Festiva shift knob to match. Total insanity.
      Last edited by bravekozak; 11-26-2013, 06:16 AM.

Comment

Bravekozak, Did your new shift knob compare to the old 2" ball you had mounted? I've found that I thoroughly enjoy the oversized shiftknob. I can "grab another gear" with suave suggestion, and shift with my fingertips.

Looks like I'll be sewing my own boot. Hancock Fabrics to the rescue...
        Last edited by DriverOne; 11-26-2013, 08:53 PM.
        There's a fine line between breathtaking ingenuity and "That's the stupidest thing I've ever seen!"

Comment

Originally posted by bravekozak View Post
          I installed an old Pathfinder transfer case boot from the junkyard. They gave it to me for free. They normally only charge for metal. Mu problem started right after I took that picture. I bought black leather seats, new black carpet, gray console insert and a custom Festiva shift knob to match. Total insanity.
          I would love to have a set of those seats !!!!
          New build on the way .

Comment

I wonder if the one out of Capri will fit. Maybe the bolt holes will line up. Don't have time to try the one I have sitting in the garage now, but maybe this weekend. I will let you guys know what I find, unless someone else can save me time and say yay or nay for me!!!
            -Bryant

Comment

The Hurst Nascar 50th Anniversary Shift knob is 2-1/4"
              I prefer 2". I have a fairly large hand and no sausage fingers.
              I also have an extra Hurst Nascar shift knob for sale with the Mazda insert. Somehow I ended up with two of them.

Epco offers Festiva shift knobs in five sizes 1-3/4", 1-7/8", 2", 2-1/8", 2-1/4"

The Mazda RX-7 black leather shift knob is about 1.6" wide X 1.8" long.
              I feel that that is too small for me.

Everyone must find a knob that they are comfortable with eating, drinking, texting and general mutitasking without missing a shift.
              Last edited by bravekozak; 11-26-2013, 09:20 PM.

Comment

So I assume you purchased the Festiva knob in 2"?

Comment

Correct. 2". Buy some modelling clay at an artist's supply store and roll up some different size balls and let them harden. There will be a little shrink.
                  Then hold them to see which one you like.

Comment

Good advice there. I've chosen the 2" ball. I'm finding that the mix of the Grant GT Challenger (silver) and the Sickspeed black ball with shift tree pattern really brings out the classic look. I may see what boots semi trucks have. Surely they've got something long enough. To the Chrome Shop!

Comment

CAPRI ones fit I have one in my LX console got at a junkyard in mint condition
                      Last edited by skimsucka; 11-28-2013, 01:31 PM.
                      93 L B6T DD http://www.fordfestiva.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=37751
                      RIP_90 LuX http://www.fordfestiva.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=32249
                      RIP 88 LX / B8-MEhttp://www.fordfestiva.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=26398

RJ

Comment

Is the Capri boot made of real leather?

Comment

I have one of those! Hmmm....

Comment

Working...
                          X