DIY Throttle Cable

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DIY Throttle Cable

Anyone built one? I don't like the stock setup at all, and it's starting to rust and bind up, AND I'm switching to a different valve cover so it's the opportune time. I went searching and found this.

Shows a home made cable using bicycle brake cabling and it works nicely for pretty cheap.

I've ordered the stuff already, but was curious if anyone did this before on here. I'll be going 90* off the throttle body (with a steel guide tube) and then under the intake pipe across the VC and to the hole in the firewall with normal flex outer. It'll keep the cable out of the way and the only real custom thing to make will be a bracket to hold the new cable off the throttle body as the VC I'm using has no provision for the stock bracket, and it makes the exposed cable too long anyway. Think I'll use the dashpot mounting holes since I threw that thing away long ago.

Thoughts?
    Any difference that makes no difference is no difference.

Old Blue- New Tricks
    91 Festiva FSM PDF - Dropbox

I've used Jerry at Green Sky Adventures in Florida to make throttle cables for me. You need an awfully strong press with the proper dies to swage the barrel and ball stops on properly at either end. Good luck.
    Last edited by bravekozak; 11-27-2013, 11:16 AM.

Comment

No need to use special equipment. One end is already there, and the other can be held on with a screw or solder.

I bought everything on eBay and the cost (so far) is around $24.00. The bracket will be simple to make, and the rest is just hobbyist bicycle brake cabling methods. I think the end result will be superior too. I'll have a teflon lined flex housing with teflon coated cable. Yeah, I'm geeking out about a throttle cable.

I appreciate the link, though.
      Any difference that makes no difference is no difference.

Old Blue- New Tricks
      91 Festiva FSM PDF - Dropbox

Comment

I like the 323 throttle cables. They make a 90, right out of the firewall and go around the back of the intake
        -Greg
        Euro-bprt...WORLDS FASTEST FESTIVA !!! 11.78@115.9
        BP, G trans, Megasquirt/ 550cc inj. t3/t3 (tbird) Garrett, REAR TURBO!!!! AND AC!!!!
        Redneck Engineer
        FOTY - '09
        5x Festiva Madness Attendee...FM 3,4,5,6,8
        http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LpCZ7...9Pwqw-oe8s2OYQ
        http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vU_eX...9Pwqw-oe8s2OYQ

Comment

Working...
        X