Put some Seafoam in Engine

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Put some Seafoam in Engine

Ok, so I've been reading pretty much all the threads on engine knocking and using seafoam so I decided to see what happens. Before I retired two years ago I use to drive car Mon thru Fri and it only knocked when it was real cold out. So for awhile when I had warm days, I would drive car til it got real nice and hot and then I would stop and put in a can of STP and drove it for about ten-fifteen miles til STP got good and mixed up thru out the motor. The knock would go away for about 6 months and I would change oil and after month or so, knock would come back and I would add another can STP and so on. Well, now that I don't drive it as much I go out and start it up about once week and it would knock when I start it up for couple minutes and once warmed up, go away. So I figured I would try the seafoam. I warmed car up till knock went away. I put in 7-8 ounces of seafoam and drove it around for about hour to get seafoam all thru motor and then came home. Im gonna wait couple days and let seafoam sit in motor and hopefully clean it up some and then Im going to start it up and see what happens. If it knocks fine, then I'm gonna drive it for awhile and let motor get real warm and then change oil and add another 7-8ozs of seafoam and drive car couple times a week and leave seafoam in there to work for about three-four months and see if that cleans motor and lifters up. If not, I'm going to put new lifters in and change valve cover gasket and maybe go to synthetic oil and see. So its just a matter of time to see how it goes. I'll post here every so often to let you know how seafoam works. Thanks everyone for info you've provided on use of seafoam. I also put a piece of cardboard under the car to see if the seafoam removes any sludge and starts an oil leaks.
    Last edited by milehighbear; 11-29-2013, 03:26 PM.
    Thom-Lifes too short, don't blink
    93 Festiva (Little Red Truck)
    01 F-150 (Big Red Truck)

Ok, after three weeks of sitting after putting in seafoam in engine, driving it around for about hour and parking the car in garage and it has been in the single digits here for over week and has been pretty chilly rest of the weeks, I started the car up and to my surprise there was absolutely no lifter clatter at all and trust me, after not running the car for couple weeks even in warm weather, I would get clatter for maybe about 30 to 45 seconds. But this time, none, it sure surprised me. I even put a board under the car just to see if maybe the seafoam would remove sludge around certain gaskets and board was clean. I changed the oil since it was due and put it 5w-30 and added rest of seafoam, about 6 ozs with it. I will let you know if what happens later if I get any more clatter cause I probably won't drive the car till after the new year just to see how it does. I feel the seafoam has worked and cleaned a lot of the sludge up. It even looked cleaner in the oil fill hole when I took cap off.
    01 F-150 (Big Red Truck)

Comment

Yeah it does clean pretty well, MMO works as a good cleaner too. The side effect is that it thins your oil somewhat, so if you are going to run with it long term I wouldn't run like 0w20 or anything like that.
      Oldest Festiva on the forum (so far) 3/87 LX - 225k
      89 Tracer 13" alloys and dome light. Pioneer stereo, all else is stock.

Comment

Well, its been a month not since I've gone out and started my little car and it has been cold here. As soon as I started it, there was absolutely no lifter noise whatsoever. That seafoam works pretty good as far as im concerned. I was amazed at the results.
        01 F-150 (Big Red Truck)

Comment

Working...
        X