X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HIDs

Anyone have HIDs on their Festy?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I had them. Custom install in semi-stock housings by PO. To be perfectly honest for light output I prefer some good bulbs in stock housings, and I never thought I'd say that. If I could get a pic of how good my high beams are on the road you'd never want HIDs again unless just for show. If I can get a vid I will, but words can't describe. It's more than enough.

Ohh, the bulbs are Silvania Silverstar Ultra. You can get them on eBay for a good price. Don't pay store prices. The difference is stupid.
    Last edited by sketchman; 12-02-2013, 08:26 AM.
    Any difference that makes no difference is no difference.

Old Blue- New Tricks
    91 Festiva FSM PDF - Dropbox

Comment

Well I tried just low beams in my truck last night and loved them. The headlights in my festiva suck compared to my truck. Which I guess it doesn't help that the pass. Side needs replaced due to cloudy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I've had HIDs in projectors on my old Neon for the low beams. It was night and day compared to stock bulbs in the stock housings, but the coverage and distance of the Ultras in good stock housings has won me over. Probably the simplicity of it compared to the HIDs makes it seem better than it is. I guess I'd have to have them side by side to say if HIDs were really worth it or not.
        Last edited by sketchman; 12-02-2013, 08:50 AM.

Old Blue- New Tricks

Comment

make sure you adapt a projector lens when install them. without them the beam is to scattered to do any good. plus its safer for oncoming motorists
          90 festy with 92 FI motor. Digital camo paint. BHAF. short throw. currently 47 MPGs

Comment

Do some research at hidplanet.com (once a public forum, recently bought by a great source for retrofit parts, theretrofitsource.com)

My suggestion includes Ranger housings with ^their mini D2S projectors. High-Low beam functionality (bixenon) and relatively cheap for GREAT output.

Please, please.. don't consider driving around with bare HID bulbs in housings meant for incandescents. That is unless you're way out in the sticks, then there's nobody around to care.
            -Zack
            Blue '93 GL Auto: White 13" 5 Point Wheels, Full LED Conversion, and an 8" Sub

Comment

My 121 headlights are destine for some HID's

1988 323 Station Wagon - KLG4 swapped
              1988 323 GT - B6T Powered
              2008 Ford Escape - Rollover Survivor

1990 Festiva - First Ever Completed KLZE swap (SOLD)

If no one from the future stops you from doing it, how bad of a decision can it really be?

Comment

I heard somewhere that the higher end bulbs for stock housings will burn up the wiring?

Comment

Originally posted by redspire View Post
                  I heard somewhere that the higher end bulbs for stock housings will burn up the wiring?
                  Although it could be true, most HID kits draw less power than the stock bulbs. 35 watts for a run of the mill ballast compared to 45-55 watts for low beams.
                  -Zack
                  Blue '93 GL Auto: White 13" 5 Point Wheels, Full LED Conversion, and an 8" Sub

Comment

Haven't burnt mine up yet. Going on a few months now, and I had to splice in spare connectors because the PO just cut the wiring and crimped stuff together for the retrofit HID kit. It was a mess. Wiring running through the frame through drilled holes, etc.
                    Last edited by sketchman; 12-02-2013, 10:32 AM.

Old Blue- New Tricks

Comment

This would only be true if they we're more wattage. I have silverstars in mine and have been running them for 5 years with no issues. I tried hids for a day, and I didn't like them.
                      -Greg
                      Euro-bprt...WORLDS FASTEST FESTIVA !!! 11.78@115.9
                      BP, G trans, Megasquirt/ 550cc inj. t3/t3 (tbird) Garrett, REAR TURBO!!!! AND AC!!!!
                      Redneck Engineer
                      FOTY - '09
                      5x Festiva Madness Attendee...FM 3,4,5,6,8
                      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LpCZ7...9Pwqw-oe8s2OYQ
                      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vU_eX...9Pwqw-oe8s2OYQ

Comment

My question was geared toward the high end silverstar bulbs. I just want to make sure I don't ruin anything by putting in a bulb that's trying to draw too much power through the old wires in my 97.

Comment

My question was geared toward the high end silverstar bulbs. I just want to make sure I don't ruin anything by putting in a bulb that's trying to draw too much power through the old wires in my 97.
                          And....
                          Originally posted by sketchman View Post
                          Haven't burnt mine up yet. Going on a few months now,....
                          Originally posted by eurotiva View Post
                          I have silverstars in mine and have been running them for 5 years with no issues.
                          ??

Old Blue- New Tricks

Comment

They are the same wattage, and voltage. Just coating on bulbs and maybe better quality materials?

Won't mess your car up.
                            -Greg
                            Euro-bprt...WORLDS FASTEST FESTIVA !!! 11.78@115.9
                            BP, G trans, Megasquirt/ 550cc inj. t3/t3 (tbird) Garrett, REAR TURBO!!!! AND AC!!!!
                            Redneck Engineer
                            FOTY - '09
                            5x Festiva Madness Attendee...FM 3,4,5,6,8
                            http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LpCZ7...9Pwqw-oe8s2OYQ
                            http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vU_eX...9Pwqw-oe8s2OYQ

Comment

Originally posted by Damkid View Post
                              My 121 headlights are destine for some HID's
                              don't the 121 lamps have H4 euro bulbs? form what i read they're brighter than our stock halogens. as for silverstar type upgrades, i understand the filament just burns hotter. not enough to fry stock wiring but you might consider keeping a spare set in the glove box since they'll burn out faster.

Comment

Working...
                              X