Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why do older carbureted Festivas get better fuel economy than fuel-injected ones?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why do older carbureted Festivas get better fuel economy than fuel-injected ones?

I thought fuel-injection was supposed to increase fuel economy or something. I know nothing.

Search by Model. Search by make for fuel efficient new and used cars and trucks

Last edited by the_feist_in_festiva; 12-05-2013, 01:25 PM.

Its epa ratings....take them with a grain of salt.

They say my TDI gets 42 highway...ha
    91GL BP/F3A with boost
    13.79 @ 100, 2.2 60' on 8 psi and 155R12's

Comment

None of that is correct.

A common best MPG for efi 5 speeds is 53.
      A common best MPG for efi Autos is 36.
      A common best MPG for carbed 5 speeds is 49.
      youtube.com/neanderpaul 88 festiva LX w/BP G25 MR 5 speed waiting for wiring- 93 Festiva GL auto w/ air, waiting for B6t/G4A-HL - 98 Nissan Quest - 02 Mazda protege 5 wife's DD

Comment

Originally posted by bhazard View Post
        Its epa ratings....take them with a grain of salt.
        Its epa ratings....take them with a grain of nope.
        FTFY
        youtube.com/neanderpaul 88 festiva LX w/BP G25 MR 5 speed waiting for wiring- 93 Festiva GL auto w/ air, waiting for B6t/G4A-HL - 98 Nissan Quest - 02 Mazda protege 5 wife's DD

Comment

Fuel injection is easier to govern electronically and can therefore better be used to reduce "harmful tailpipe emissions". If you look on the EPA site my 86 manual tranny carbed 4.9 litre straight six F150 gets considerably better fuel economy than the 87 EFI version. But the 87s met that year's smog requirements whereas the previous year's carbed engines couldn't. Same goes for auto trannys. Fuel economy drops but there is no uncontrollable spike in emissions during shifts! So guess what manufacturers start doing as a result; no more carbs and ultimately no more sticks.

Comment

I'd be lucky to go any higher than 40MPGs on my EFI, I think the absolute best I ever got was 42.
            1991 Ford Festiva BP (Full Aspire/Rio Swap) (337k Miles) (Around 95k Engine)
            2002 Chevy Cavalier LS Sport 2.2L DOHC Ecotec (Threw a Rod)
            1998 Chevy Monte Carlo LS 3.1 V6 (225k miles) Best MPG = 28

Comment

I was getting 48 consistently with mine before the 14s.
              Any difference that makes no difference is no difference.

Old Blue- New Tricks
              91 Festiva FSM PDF - Dropbox

Comment

Originally posted by the_feist_in_festiva View Post
                I thought fuel-injection was supposed to increase fuel economy or something. I know nothing.

http://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/bymod..._Festiva.shtml
                To answer your question directly-The introduction of Fuel Injection Engines was not brought on by a desire to better our fuel economy."Emissions", was the driver of change. Tighter regulations on the Manufacturers to produce "cleaner" cars. Has caused power-plants & drive-trains to evolve to the current tech savy 7 Spd Auto trannys with fuel being cut to individual cylinders. Once the engineers figured out the "Emissions" they were better able to focus on MPG & HP.
                Some people like to read fiction,I prefer to read repair manuals. Weird I know-
                Henry Ford: "Failure is the opportunity to begin again more intelligently"
                Fuseable Link Distribution Block repair link

Comment

Originally posted by nitrofarm View Post
                  To answer your question directly-The introduction of Fuel Injection Engines was not brought on by a desire to better our fuel economy."Emissions", was the driver of change. Tighter regulations on the Manufacturers to produce "cleaner" cars. Has caused power-plants & drive-trains to evolve to the current tech savy 7 Spd Auto trannys with fuel being cut to individual cylinders. Once the engineers figured out the "Emissions" they were better able to focus on MPG & HP.
                  Truth be known there is a huge amount of money at stake here (billions of $) and entirely driven by political-motivated legislation to 'reduce pollution'. Back in the 70s-80s this was a very powerful incentive; in one direction only; to reduce tailpipe emissions. But Makers have slowly been figuring all that out and are now cashing-in on increasingly sophisticated computer-controlled EFI to keep up emission 'appearances' and at the same time utilize those features to produce more power. Somewhere along the line both sides will have to meet and agree upon something.
                  Now that mass-produced engines can routinely produce 1 hp per cc (as opposed to 'special and high performance' 1 hp per cubic inch of the 1960s) you really do know that things have changed.
                  But at what cost? An ordinary Joe can no longer expect to be able to diagnose, service nor tinker with an automobile engine. Kids today are left toying entirely with computer chips and wouldn't/couldn't so much dare as to remove a valve cover looking to put in stiffer springs, bigger valves or search for a mixture adjustment screw!

Comment

hey! all i know, and i lernt this watchin ALL them FAST & FURIOUS movies, iz if i put a cold air kit on any 4 cylinder Honda, i git an extree 200HP.

Comment

Lol I have learned quickly that high performance air-filters, and cold-air intakes don't do jack for horsepower.

If cold air did anything for horsepower on any car, then why don't our cars feel more powerful when it is like 10 degrees Fahrenheit outside? Even warmed up, my engine actually feels like it has less power is the cold, then when it gets warm outside.
                      Last edited by TorqueEffect; 12-05-2013, 09:20 PM.
                      1991 Ford Festiva BP (Full Aspire/Rio Swap) (337k Miles) (Around 95k Engine)
                      2002 Chevy Cavalier LS Sport 2.2L DOHC Ecotec (Threw a Rod)
                      1998 Chevy Monte Carlo LS 3.1 V6 (225k miles) Best MPG = 28

Comment

My love for fuel economy and my bitter hatred for carburetors are at a crossroad. I'm just going to buy a Geo Metro. Did I just say that?

Comment

Originally posted by the_feist_in_festiva View Post
                          My love for fuel economy and my bitter hatred for carburetors are at a crossroad. I'm just going to buy a Geo Metro. Did I just say that?
                          Hey, it your money to waste!
                          But don't think your going to get a lot of help with the Metro here!
                          We did have a joint meet with members of ecomodder.com some time ago, and many of them use Metros in their quest for Max MPG.
                          Nice guys too!
                          '93 Blue 5spd 230K(down for clutch and overall maintanence)
                          '93 White B6 swap thanks to Skeeters Keeper
                          '92 Aqua parts Car
                          '93 Turquoise 5spd 137K
                          '90 White LX Thanks to FB71

"Your God of repentance will not save you.
                          Your holy ghost will not save you.
                          Your God plutonium will not save you.
                          In fact...
                          ...You will not be saved!"

Prince of Darkness -1987

Comment

Metro motors are not known for going 400K miles. Heck, many need work before 100K.
                            90 Festy (Larry)--B6M (Matt D. modified B6 head), header, 5-speed, Capri XR2 front brakes, many other little mods
                            09 Kia Rondo--a Festy on steroids!

You can avoid reality, but you can't avoid the consequences of avoiding reality--Ayn Rand

Disaster preparedness

Tragedy and Hope.....Infowars.com.....The Drudge Report.....Founding Fathers.info

Think for yourself.....question all authority.....re-evaluate everything you think you know. Red-pill yourself!

Comment

Originally posted by TorqueEffect View Post
                              Lol I have learned quickly that high performance air-filters, and cold-air intakes don't do jack for horsepower.

If cold air did anything for horsepower on any car, then why don't our cars feel more powerful when it is like 10 degrees Fahrenheit outside? Even warmed up, my engine actually feels like it has less power is the cold, then when it gets warm outside.
                              Actually almost every car already has a cold air intake. The airbox routes into the fender, which sucks in cooler air from outside. "Performance" CAI systems usually just undo manufacturer engineering for the sake of looing cool. Cars feel slower when very cold partly due to the fact that all of the fluids become thicker, and the tire pressure drops some when it is that cold.
                              Oldest Festiva on the forum (so far) 3/87 LX - 225k
                              89 Tracer 13" alloys and dome light. Pioneer stereo, all else is stock.

Comment

Working...
                              X