few questions about turbo and header

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• few questions about turbo and header

So I just got the new festiva and I am already thinking upgrades. It already has the BP non-turbo in the car. What I want to know is:
    1- Is it possible to run a turbo with headers?? ( I have never worked on a car with turbo I know nothing about them)
    2-If I can run headers what do I need to buy for??

Sorry if this is in wrong section. Im not looking to buy this yet im just researching for now. I search the forum but didn't find what im looking for.
    1990 Red Festiva STOCK "pregnant roller skate"
    1989 Yellow Festiva BP swap "Freebird"
    2007 Ford F150 "black sunshine" full exhaust with x-pipe. K&N intake. Headman Headers.
    2001 Honda accord SOLD lots of goodies done suicide doors lowered 20 inch rims
    2005 Ford F250 6.0 Turbo Diesel "swamprat" 4 inch lift, 4 inch mbrp exhaust, egr delete, glowshift pillar gauges.
    1994 Ford F150 5.0 Completely stock.

1) yes.
    2) you need to search rear turbo installs.
    3) i recomend you purchace the book: Maximum Boost by Corky Bell, it's a little old, but all the basics are there. required reading for true gear heads
    Trees aren't kind to me...

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),
    94 Justy 4WD, 87 Fiero GT, plus 2 parts cars. That's my fleet.

Comment

Corky Bell! Heck yeah!
      Glad you brought him up, Arty! I almost forgot about him. Now I need to go download!
      Dan

Red 1988 Festiva L - CUJO

Black 1992 Festiva GL Sport - BLACK MAGIC

I'm just...a little slow... sometimes:withstupid:

R.I.P.
      Blue 1972 Chevelle SS-468 C.I.D. B'nM TH400-4:56 posi-Black racing stripes-Black vinyl top-Black int.
      Black on black 1976 Camaro LT-350 4 bolt main .060 over
      Silver 1988 Festiva L

My Music!
      http://www.reverbnation.com/main/sea...t_songs/266647

Comment

Thanks I will definitely try and find that. I have no experience with turbo at all. I just know that's what I want on this motor. I been looking up headers and I didn't want to waste money on buying them if I had take them right back off when I get turbo.
        1990 Red Festiva STOCK "pregnant roller skate"
        1989 Yellow Festiva BP swap "Freebird"
        2007 Ford F150 "black sunshine" full exhaust with x-pipe. K&N intake. Headman Headers.
        2001 Honda accord SOLD lots of goodies done suicide doors lowered 20 inch rims
        2005 Ford F250 6.0 Turbo Diesel "swamprat" 4 inch lift, 4 inch mbrp exhaust, egr delete, glowshift pillar gauges.
        1994 Ford F150 5.0 Completely stock.

Comment

i'm not well versed on turbos either but isn't it desireable to HAVE a little exhaust restrictiveness to spin the turbo? aren't headers sole function to scavenge (unrestrict) as much exhaust gas as possible?

Comment

the turbine IS the restriction, F3BZ. turbos use the expanding hot gasses from the combustion event to push against the turbine blades. also you've got the goal of headers backward. headers DO scavenge exhaust gasses, but it's from the chamber, not from the exhaust system itself (anything AFTER the valve). headers allow for higher exahust gas speed and are tuned to promote a low pressure system right behind the valve to help suck any latent gasses from the chamber right before the valve closes. this low pressure system can also help draw the air/fuel charge from the intake durring valve overlap and promote better cylinder filling and therefor, MORE POWER.

so, given that, it's why you see headers used on high HP TURBO cars...

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),

Comment

i purchased a bp header (pacesetter) for my rt setup & greg said he had tried one b4 & that it hurt the torque compared to the stock exhaust. im not sure about front turbo systems but for rear turbo setups this is what he told me worked best.
              Never Hire a Boy to do a Man's Job!!

Comment

his may answer some your questions watch the whole video
                we take out devins fastiva for the day, dyno it, test drive it, give our opinions.this is pretty much the epitome of awesome, 200 dollar car, motorswap, turb...

Comment

THAT is a copy of Ghost's car!?!?! WTH?

ok, i stand corrected, that IS Ghost's car before the flares were installed! kinda cool.
                  Last edited by FestYboy; 12-09-2013, 12:08 AM.

Comment

I'm sure it's the same car, before ghost got it and put wheels and flares, it changed owners more than once iirc
                    Last edited by eurotiva; 12-09-2013, 12:08 AM.
                    -Greg
                    Euro-bprt...WORLDS FASTEST FESTIVA !!! 11.78@115.9
                    BP, G trans, Megasquirt/ 550cc inj. t3/t3 (tbird) Garrett, REAR TURBO!!!! AND AC!!!!
                    Redneck Engineer
                    FOTY - '09
                    5x Festiva Madness Attendee...FM 3,4,5,6,8
                    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LpCZ7...9Pwqw-oe8s2OYQ
                    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vU_eX...9Pwqw-oe8s2OYQ

Comment

see that's why i ask dumb questions. to get smart answers.

Comment

Working...
                      X