Found 165/40R16 tires! 16 on Festy???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Found 165/40R16 tires! 16 on Festy???

I know talk of larger than 15's has been discussed on the forum a few times. I hadn't considered it myself until I found out that 165/40R16 tires are available online, and that the diameter is so close to the stock size that there's virtually no difference in the odometer (0.1%, or 60.1MPH instead of 60MPH)! BUT, would it look decent, or would it be too much? A 16x6 seems hard to come by as well. The Cobalt rims are available, but they look extremely heavy. I've come across a few custom rim websites, but it'd be really hard to explain to my wife why I need $2,200 rims to put $300 tires on!
    In love with a MadScientist!:thumbright:
    There's a fine line between breathtaking ingenuity and "That's the stupidest thing I've ever seen!"

Not worth it. They look too big and are really heavy. It has been done a few times.
    1988 Ford Festiva "Sonic" BPT g25mr MS2 standalone ecu, FOTY '11, Best Beater FMV, Fan Favorite FMVI

1989 Ford Mustang GT 5.slow

1996 Ford F-150

Comment

IIRC Casper had 17's on at one point, really filled the wheel well.
      An idea can turn to dust or magic, depending on the talent that rubs against it.

Comment

There comes a point of diminishing returns on some things such as wheels on a 20 year old car. 14s are already quasi lo-profile looking but at least they're not hugely expensive nor blatantly obvious. And if you buy premium tires they sure make a ride improvement over anything available in 12s. Don't forget that swapping over to Aspire brakes opens up a whole new world of inexpensive rim choices. I've got freebie 5.5x14 Kia Rio alloys on my car.

Comment

The beauty of ANY wheel is completely in the eye of the beholder. Opinions are just opinions. They are not factual in any way, and in no way harm anyone. Sometimes they are better left unsaid though. I say go for it. But I will say that a 2.6 inch sidewall will surely be a rough ride no doubt. But then again that is an opinion. For all I know you only have 4 senses. LOL
          -Bryant

Comment

honda accord... 16x6 and in the FESTY pattern!!! i have a set and have been thinking about the 165s... or 195s... decisions decisions
            Trees aren't kind to me...

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),
            94 Justy 4WD, 87 Fiero GT, plus 2 parts cars. That's my fleet.

Comment

deleted
              Last edited by F3BZ; 12-18-2013, 01:13 AM.

Comment

Have rocketman cast you some custom skinny 16s.
                Any difference that makes no difference is no difference.

Old Blue- New Tricks
                91 Festiva FSM PDF - Dropbox

Comment

FestYboy, would you mount one of those rims on the Festy and take a pic? My curiosity is piqued. Oh, and weight?
                  Last edited by DriverOne; 12-18-2013, 01:35 AM.
                  In love with a MadScientist!:thumbright:
                  There's a fine line between breathtaking ingenuity and "That's the stupidest thing I've ever seen!"

Comment

If ya cant wait for Arty to mount 'em up, here are a few pics of a members car that has 16's and was at a St. Louis meet

And here is a pic of it sitting directly in front of my red car. It has 195/60/14's.They are bigger in diameter than the 16's!!!!

Last edited by drddan; 12-18-2013, 04:51 AM.
                    Dan

Red 1988 Festiva L - CUJO

Black 1992 Festiva GL Sport - BLACK MAGIC

I'm just...a little slow... sometimes:withstupid:

R.I.P.
                    Blue 1972 Chevelle SS-468 C.I.D. B'nM TH400-4:56 posi-Black racing stripes-Black vinyl top-Black int.
                    Black on black 1976 Camaro LT-350 4 bolt main .060 over
                    Silver 1988 Festiva L

My Music!
                    http://www.reverbnation.com/main/sea...t_songs/266647

Comment

I had 205/40R16 on my old Diahatsu. I put them on my Aspire swapped festiva once just for kicks. They would have needed spacers and a bit of fender roll to actually drive on but they didn't look terrible. That was on 16x7 wheels with I think a +40 offset, but its been a while. With 165/40R16 on a 16x6 they would probably fit... Wouldn't suit my taste (not nearly enough sidewall), but they should fit. I miss my old 13x6s with 205/60s. Those were some serious looking tires.
                      No festiva for me ATM...

Comment

I had 16x7 wheels with 205/40/16s on for quite some time. With the car lowered it looked pretty cool. I had to do some rolling on the rear fenders, and for what it's worth I do have coil overs.

Here’s the downsides :
                        I couldn't get the bfg g-force tires hot enough to really grab. (stock engine, but aspire swapped suspension and a nice aggressive alignment.
                        The car will follow every ripple in the pavement.
                        Need to roll fenders, may not clear stock struts.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4

Comment

Working...
                        X