Which Winch

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Which Winch

I'm looking to buy a winch for my Festiva, I had a coupon for this first winch, rated at 2,000 lbs with a "auto load holding brake" for 49.99.
    http://m.harborfreight.com/2000-lb-electri...68146-8041.html

Then while I was in the store looking at that winch a guy had a coupon for this winch, rated at 2500lbs with a "dynamic" brake for 47.24.
    http://m.harborfreight.com/2500-lb-electri...trol-61297.html

They didn't have the latter in stock, so I got a rain check good for 30 days for it. Everything about the two seem identical with the exception of the brake and the second one comes with a wireless remote. Both have 50' of 5/32" cable, but one is rated for an extra 500 lbs. I don't know what the difference is in the brakes, so can someone enlighten me and maybe help me choose one? They said they should be getting the 2500lb winch in on Thursday.

I don't want this for "pulling myself out of a ditch"... It will be used for lifting things. I know 1ton will be way more than anything I plan to lift, so capacity isn't the issue, I'm thinking 5-600lbs max and I will feel a lot safer with a snatch block.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by zoom zoom; 12-18-2013, 08:23 AM.
    2008 Kia Rio- new beater
    1987 F-150- revived and CLEAN!!!
    1987 Suzuki Dual Sport- fun beater bike
    1993 Festiva- Fiona, DD
    1997 Aspire- Peaspire, Refurb'd, sold
    1997 Aspire- Babyspire, DD
    1994 Aspire - Project Kiazord
    1994 Aspire- Crustyspire, RIP

"If it moves, grease it, if it don't, paint it, and if it ain't broke don't fix it!"

I've had a couple local friends tell me the wireless remotes are junk, and really I don't care if I get one or not. my main concern is that the brake doesn't slip and the winch stops when I let off the button. I would rather have the cable break than the brake fail.
    2008 Kia Rio- new beater
    1993 Festiva- Fiona, DD

"If it moves, grease it, if it don't, paint it, and if it ain't broke don't fix it!"

Comment

Sounds like you want the auto brake one. Bottom right corner explains it if I'm understanding it correctly.
      Any difference that makes no difference is no difference.

Old Blue- New Tricks
      91 Festiva FSM PDF - Dropbox

Comment

Link isn't working for me, what did you type in to search on the Grainger site?
        2008 Kia Rio- new beater
        1993 Festiva- Fiona, DD

Comment

"auto brake vs dynamic winch" or something like that, into google.

It basically says the dynamic brake uses e-mag to hold the load. The other uses an "real" mechanical brake to do it.
          Any difference that makes no difference is no difference.

Old Blue- New Tricks
          91 Festiva FSM PDF - Dropbox

Comment

My uncle yacked at me about winches a while ago. I do recall him saying that some parts of the gearing in the HF winches are plastic, but the same exact winch is sold under a brand name with metal gears. Quality/Longevity vs. Actual Use, I usually go for HF stuff because I don't often need the tool but for a few jobs a year.
            -Zack
            Blue '93 GL Auto: White 13" 5 Point Wheels, Full LED Conversion, and an 8" Sub

Comment

Worm gears will not back off. As far as I know, all small bumper winches are cheap winches that use traditional gears and require a mechanical lock. How cheap the lock is... Have to investigate.

Well, the reason I use worm gear...no question in doubt for my safety. And I like hydraulic, never over heats, no duty cycle, and battery never goes dead.

Sent from my rooted HTC Supersonic using Tapatalk 2 Pro
              Last edited by jason_; 12-19-2013, 03:03 PM.

Comment

Wow, with a 2000lb winch you could throw the lead over a high branch and lift your car off the ground!!!
                1963 Fairlane - future NSS drag car
                1965 Mustang Coupe - A-code car, restoring for/with my son
                1973 F100 longbed - only 22k original miles, 360/auto, disk, PS/PB dealer in dash A/C
                1996 Sonoma X-cab - son's DD
                2002 Grand Prix - daughter's DD
                2003 Sport Trac - 180k, 130k on replaced motor with new timing chains - F/S soon.
                2005 Accord - wife's DD
                2008 Mountaineer - step daughter's DD
                2015 F150 SCrew - DD

Comment

Talk the talk but can they walk the walk I want to see this done to a metro within a week. Jk...i think... but damn that is another easy way to do your brake lines other than taking glass out and pushing the car over on its side
                  1993 GL 5 speed

It's a MazdaFordnKia thing, and you will understand!

Comment

I settled for the 2000 lb winch. It's another Christmas present from the wife's mom lol. I'll hopefully have a working prototype by the end of my weekend, Monday, and get everything else finished up when I get the new welder next week.

The brush gaurd will be used for looks, I want to run a piece of 3/16" or 1/4" steel out from the crossmember bolts and mount the winch to that, with a little support from the brush gaurd. I can't get into detail about the overall goal just yet. It's not for lifting the car or pulling the car, but might do that job too?

I suppose I need to start looking for a big tree.. Hadn't really thought about lifting the car before lol..
                    2008 Kia Rio- new beater
                    1993 Festiva- Fiona, DD

Comment

we need pictures like it's a really really big fish that you caught
                      1993 GL 5 speed

It's a MazdaFordnKia thing, and you will understand!

Comment

Working...
                      X