Festiva in trouble!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Festiva in trouble!!

I am an hour from home and my Festiva developed a huge leak from the water pump. I have no antifreeze/coolant, have access to any water or a trailer. I don't even think I can nurse it home, the leak is that big.

I am at the upullandpay in Cincinnati. Please if anyone in the area can help me.
    1991 Ford Festiva BP (Full Aspire/Rio Swap) (337k Miles) (Around 95k Engine)
    2002 Chevy Cavalier LS Sport 2.2L DOHC Ecotec (Threw a Rod)
    1998 Chevy Monte Carlo LS 3.1 V6 (225k miles) Best MPG = 28

Come on people!

Got to be someone near Cincinnati,OH!

I rescued Tunner once with a seized rear bearing in Cincinnati, not in a position to make a 240 mile run tonight.
    '93 Blue 5spd 230K(down for clutch and overall maintanence)
    '93 White B6 swap thanks to Skeeters Keeper
    '92 Aqua parts Car
    '93 Turquoise 5spd 137K
    '90 White LX Thanks to FB71

"Your God of repentance will not save you.
    Your holy ghost will not save you.
    Your God plutonium will not save you.
    In fact...
    ...You will not be saved!"

Prince of Darkness -1987

Comment

You can drive a car without cooling fluids as long as you let it cool down regularly. This may cost you a water pump (sounds like your's is already cooked) but if you proceed at 5 minute intervals and cool off for 10-15 in between you ought to make it OK.
      I made a 120 mile emergency rural run without a fan belt (ie no water pump nor charging system) a few years ago using the same technique. In that case I ran the car up to 60 mph on back roads for short intervals (until the temp gauge went "hot") and then turned off the ignition to coast and when 'air-cooling' speed dropped down to 5mph turned the key and popped out the clutch in order to repeat the procedure. Stopping for 1/2 hour on the odd hill (ie jump-start for later) didn't hurt either. That was 4 years ago and that engine is still humming along.
      Another perfect example of why manual trannys are infinitely more useful in emergencies than autos.

Sorry; I forgot to wish you "good luck". It will help you in this case.
      Last edited by Bert; 12-19-2013, 06:22 PM.

Comment

Well I had to leave it. The kind gentleman said it will be safe, since it is in a parking lot that is locked up at night. Going to come down tomorrow and change the water pump, might as well change the timing belt too. The guy was kind enough to drop me off at the UDF so I can wait for my ride.

Sent from my SPH-M950 using Tapatalk
        Last edited by TorqueEffect; 12-19-2013, 06:19 PM.
        1991 Ford Festiva BP (Full Aspire/Rio Swap) (337k Miles) (Around 95k Engine)
        2002 Chevy Cavalier LS Sport 2.2L DOHC Ecotec (Threw a Rod)
        1998 Chevy Monte Carlo LS 3.1 V6 (225k miles) Best MPG = 28

Comment

Hey, I see the Upullnpay in Cincy has a white Festy with a bad water pump....:woc:

J/K!! Seriously though, have any of you feared coming out to you car to see someone parting it or hooking up to it? I have...
          1963 Fairlane - future NSS drag car
          1965 Mustang Coupe - A-code car, restoring for/with my son
          1973 F100 longbed - only 22k original miles, 360/auto, disk, PS/PB dealer in dash A/C
          1996 Sonoma X-cab - son's DD
          2002 Grand Prix - daughter's DD
          2003 Sport Trac - 180k, 130k on replaced motor with new timing chains - F/S soon.
          2005 Accord - wife's DD
          2008 Mountaineer - step daughter's DD
          2015 F150 SCrew - DD

Comment

@bert. Yes i did much the same to a 12 second 5 liter iron head mustang still in my posession. My water pump died and I was actually delivering pizzas and I was able to limp it back to the store checkout go home and change my water pump and return back to work. I miss those days at the same time I don't
            1993 GL 5 speed

It's a MazdaFordnKia thing, and you will understand!

Comment

Originally posted by getnpsi View Post
              @bert. Yes i did much the same to a 12 second 5 liter iron head mustang still in my posession. My water pump died and I was actually delivering pizzas and I was able to limp it back to the store checkout go home and change my water pump and return back to work. I miss those days at the same time I don't
              Right on! It is becoming more and more difficult to emergency Jerry-rig methods for keeping a vehicle moving and I do not look forward to owning a vehicle that decides on my behalf when to shut the engine down.

Comment

well im a lil late but was about to say id make the run to help u out but u got it figured out now good luck

Comment

well considering aluminum heads are a hundred horsepower out of the box bottleneck remover on that engine I was kinda hoping that it was not going to run right when I put it back together. Fesyivas have even more happy endings of neglect with no consequence and I'm glad. if that was not the case this site would be all about engine swaps because the vehicle is so light and very little else
                  1993 GL 5 speed

It's a MazdaFordnKia thing, and you will understand!

Comment

Working...
                  X