Sudden drag in 3rd?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sudden drag in 3rd?

Was curious if this was in my head or not. I timed a light and rolled through it in 2nd and ended up right beside a Veloster this morning. He started so I punched it too.

I never know whether people are messing with me or not, so forgive me if this is a stupid question.

The whole way through 2nd he didn't pull an inch. I shifted probably around 6k and kept going. At a certain point though it was like it just fell on its face in 3rd. Probably from about 4.5k on (I wasn't looking down at all till I felt it happen) it really slowed down a lot or felt like it and he whizzed right by me before I could get into 4th. I just kept going to see what would happen. Ended up at another light with him way ahead of me with the speedo pegged.

Is there some kind of aero thing that happens after a certain speed that just saps all the power? It sure seemed like it. I know the back end is probably horrible for drag. Do guys with a spoiler notice any difference between that and a sans-spoiler hatch car?
    Any difference that makes no difference is no difference.

Old Blue- New Tricks
    91 Festiva FSM PDF - Dropbox

Maybe you're clutch is going out or something.
    Running 40psi.....in my tires.

http://aspire.b1.jcink.com/index.php?showtopic=611&st=0

Comment

Don't think it's the clutch. The revs didn't shoot up. When I felt it I started watching the revs. It was like it just suddenly slowed down.

Old Blue- New Tricks

Comment

My '89 is the only use-able 5-speed atm. I get that same feeling.. up to 6k in 2nd, rev to 3rd.. get to about 4-4.3k and blah. Very little excess acceleration. Up to 55MPH I can beat most anything (average), though.

-Joe
        White '92 GL 5-speed BP, G series, Aspire/Rio swapped, "Nancy"
        White '89 LX 5-speed, Aspire swapped, Weber carb
        1988 LX 5-speed
        ​​​1993 L 5-speed B8, E series, Aspire/Rio swapped

Gone:

1986 Chevrolet Sprint 1990 L Plus Auto

Comment

You can accelerate a barn door real fast if you have the power.
          The bog has nothing to do with aerodynamics.

Comment

So probably just the difference between 2nd and 3rd then. 3rd shows the lack of power easier, and I guess the same thing is there in 2nd, but you don't notice it.

Old Blue- New Tricks

Comment

Hmm odd, I've never noticed that in the manual festers I had. I never ran the stock ones too hard though, on the B8 one with stock trans I had for a bit, 3rd gear pulled nicely.
              -93' L BP swap/e-series, coilovers, RIO front swap, redrilled festy drums, Miata 14" 7 spokes.
              -88' Mazda 323 SE, work in progress..
              -85' Nissan Sentra 5 spd.

Comment

3rds. My nicest pulling gear...
                55 to pegged speedo no problems

Comment

Strange.

Old Blue- New Tricks

Comment

Working...
                  X