Festiva safer?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Festiva safer?

The new F-150 is going aliminum. If we all wait long enough, our Festivas will be able to mow them down in a crash.

Aluminum F-150.. does that mean the body will last more than 5 years (actually, that problem appears to be with GM around here).

Big surprises coming.. >_>
    White '92 GL 5-speed BP, G series, Aspire/Rio swapped, "Nancy"
    White '89 LX 5-speed, Aspire swapped, Weber carb
    1988 LX 5-speed
    ​​​1993 L 5-speed B8, E series, Aspire/Rio swapped

Gone:

1986 Chevrolet Sprint 1990 L Plus Auto

Comment

no that mean that every time you take a bolt out the threads come with it or it just breaks off lol
      would be cool tho maybe when they go to scrap there worth more

Comment

The original Cobra bodies were aluminum. Just touch it and it dents like a pop can. (Tried to buy one in Kanab, Utah), It looks like hell, but lasts a long time. I am assuming Ford will be using a lot of bimetal (steel/aluminum/steel sandwich) with the rustable stuff on the outside + coating thickness to last warranty period.
        If they don't sandwich, then good luck to the Guinea pigs who buy the first ones. Not sure if they would be spotwelding steel to steel or aluminum to aluminum. Let's wait and find out.
        Last edited by bravekozak; 12-30-2013, 09:53 AM.

Comment

From what I have been reading about it, the most compelling reason for the switch to aluminum is for the weight reduction which will improve MPG,
          mainly in city driving. Ford can then greatly improve their EPA rating for advertising. This will indeed be great for those folks who use their truck
          for transporting just people, but when you start adding payload, the improvement will diminish proportionately until it gets back close to zero.
          Like brave says..the Guiena pigs will determine how well this turns out.

Comment

Everyone knows about galvanic corrosion with water where you have different metals in contact with one another. Ford must have a lot of confidence in their coatings along the edges and holes. I am assuming the body panel fasteners will have pre-applied sealant. Good luck Ford. GM and Chrysler are wathing you.
            Last edited by bravekozak; 12-30-2013, 10:48 AM.

Comment

they already tested this at one point

Comment

I went back for an identical SHO hoodliner for my Festiva, that is pictured, but the yard already crushed it.

I can't believe that is the Montreal airport test car! Any idea when the picture was taken? If recently, then amazing! The GM guys surely must know all about this. They are there all the time. That is also why their paints are all 2K. Remember the Beretta?
                Last edited by bravekozak; 12-30-2013, 12:16 PM.

Comment

I took this picture , it was at the 2010 annual taurus sho convention in Dearborn MI , That year we went to the Rouge factory , plus we went to the Ford HQ where we met Mr Edsel Ford in person, he came to check our cars and chat with us.

Comment

If I had a large enough garage, a 70's flatnose Revcon motorhome is just what I want.. Olds Toronado engine powering a giant aluminum body. Mmm.

It set the top speed motorhome record at like 98MPH, if I remember correctly.
                    1988 LX 5-speed

Gone:

Comment

Chrysler did this in 94 too. So it must be a revolving fad.

Any difference that makes no difference is no difference.

Old Blue- New Tricks
                      91 Festiva FSM PDF - Dropbox

Comment

I wonder how much longer cars would be on the road if they had 100% aluminum bodies (no steel whatsoever, unless heavily coated, and under the aluminum).

Off/on-topic:

The pots we have in the kitchen are 'WearEver Aluminum-Clad' (aluminum over stainless steel) pots and pans. From 1967-1970. Aside from a little pitting, they still look and work like new. Daily use for 45 years! We even have a few from the '30s. They work fine.
                        1988 LX 5-speed

Gone:

Comment

Originally posted by Spike View Post
                          I wonder how much longer cars would be on the road if they had 100% aluminum bodies...
                          I bet there would be lots more Tacoma's on the road if they had aluminum frames. LOL
                          -Bryant

Comment

It is a revolving fad. GM already had a joint venture with Dow Magnesium for Magnesium engine blocks and diecastings back in 1986. The engine I saw had stress cracks on the bosses. It was prototyped by Pontiac Motorsports. I tried to order the GM part numbers for the factory labels stating that the vehicle was exempt from emission controls. GM parts told me that the valid part numbers were unavailable for sale.
                            I think the mag engine was for the Pontiac Fiero. Magnesium is 33% lighter than aluminum.
                            Last edited by bravekozak; 12-30-2013, 09:47 PM.

Comment

Isn't magnesium that stuff that requires an extreme heat source to catch fire and liquidate with thermite?

sent from the depths of hell.
                              Last edited by jawbraeka; 12-30-2013, 10:47 PM.
                              Ford Festiva 1991 WA Model (5 Door)
                              Nicknamed the car 'The Chiva' (Chilli Festiva)

Avg Economy:
                              Highway - 7.32L/100km
                              City - yet to be determined.

Comment

Working...
                              X