Acetone gas saving tip

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Acetone gas saving tip

Found this vid on youtube. According to the guy's results, he got an 8 mpg increase, doing 3 simple things.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jrris4zz23k
    Dan

Red 1988 Festiva L - CUJO

Black 1992 Festiva GL Sport - BLACK MAGIC

I'm just...a little slow... sometimes:withstupid:

R.I.P.
    Blue 1972 Chevelle SS-468 C.I.D. B'nM TH400-4:56 posi-Black racing stripes-Black vinyl top-Black int.
    Black on black 1976 Camaro LT-350 4 bolt main .060 over
    Silver 1988 Festiva L

My Music!
    http://www.reverbnation.com/main/sea...t_songs/266647

Interesting.

Now for my questions:

How does his car measure his mpgs? How accurate is it? What mechanism does so and what variables might throw it off, if indeed, it is "accurate" to begin with? (Wind, temperature, weight of car, etc.)

What else changed besides the acetone between mpg readings? Has he done this over several different speeds and/or engine loads?

Does any cleaning effect of the acetone affect his findings? How stable over time is this effect?

And that cat's meeeeoooooooooooooow at the end? Schrodinger's? But if so, was it really there?

Karl
    '93GL "Prettystiva" ticking B3 and 5 speed, backup DD; full swaps in spring!
    '91L "AquaMutt" my '91L; B6 swap/5 speed & Aspire brakes, DD/work car
    '92L "Twinstiva" 5sp, salvage titled, waiting for repairs...
    '93GL "Luxstiva," '94 B6 engine & ATX; needs overhauled
    '89L "Muttstiva," now a storage bin, future trailer project

Comment

Looked like a one time run! But it is still an interesting concept!
      He was going off of the mpg readings on the dash.

EDIT: He used 2 oz of acetone per gallon. Would this be viable, would it would be cheaper in the long run? What does a can of acetone cost? About $5 a pint, which is 16 ozs and would do 8 gallons. 8 mpg increase X 8 ozs of acetone = 64 miles farther. $5 to go 64 miles Hmmmm.......

Would our cars get more mpg out of it or not? He had a car that got 30 mpg and went up to 38 according to his unscientific results
      Last edited by drddan; 01-02-2014, 01:17 PM.
      Dan

Red 1988 Festiva L - CUJO

Black 1992 Festiva GL Sport - BLACK MAGIC

I'm just...a little slow... sometimes:withstupid:

R.I.P.
      Blue 1972 Chevelle SS-468 C.I.D. B'nM TH400-4:56 posi-Black racing stripes-Black vinyl top-Black int.
      Black on black 1976 Camaro LT-350 4 bolt main .060 over
      Silver 1988 Festiva L

My Music!
      http://www.reverbnation.com/main/sea...t_songs/266647

Comment

If this is valid the only way i.think.it could be working is by fooling the o2 sensor and it may be leaning the fuel to compensate, which in return could be doing more harm then good.

Comment

This is old news, one of those things that has been around for a long time. I can tell you it definitively does not work on a fuel injected subaru 2.2l with e10 gas. no difference at all. I have been told it has to be 0 ethanol gasoline, works better with carbs, blah blah blah. I personally think it's all just placebo. If you get any results at all its because you are subconsciously driving more efficiently. I look at it this way... if it really had any effect, manufacturers would insist that the oil companies would add it at the pump, since they get such big incentives for meeting EPA fuel economy numbers.
          Oldest Festiva on the forum (so far) 3/87 LX - 225k
          89 Tracer 13" alloys and dome light. Pioneer stereo, all else is stock.

Comment

A lot of fuel injection cleaners use acetone as a base and add more additives on top of that. i imagine 6 oz of pure acetone will do some cleaning depending how much fuel is diluting the dose. Other than that affecting burn patterns and heat all of that? Nah cant be doing much. Our fuel tanks are small, i cant even get 8 gallons in my tank, no chevron december 5% discount LOL. when you use a whole fuel treatment for 20-25 gallons in only 1/2 tank like i did last time it really threw a lot of junk onto my plugs, so that has its own merits.

I also like the idea of using a cleaner if you do not plan on going on highway for a while. The starting and stopping of city driving and shorter trips lets the cleaners "sit" in there rather than just burn on the open road.
            Last edited by getnpsi; 01-02-2014, 03:04 PM.
            1993 GL 5 speed

It's a MazdaFordnKia thing, and you will understand!

Comment

Originally posted by db2u View Post
              . I personally think it's all just placebo. If you get any results at all its because you are subconsciously driving more efficiently. I look at it this way... if it really had any effect, manufacturers would insist that the oil companies would add it at the pump, since they get such big incentives for meeting EPA fuel economy numbers.
              I seem to recall reading somewhere that someone, probably Popular Mechanics, tested this out, and found no gains.
              Contact me for information about Festiva Madness!
              Remember, FestYboy is inflatable , and Scitzz means crazy, YO!
              "Like I'm going to suggest we do the job right." ~Fecomatter May 28 2016.

Comment

Working...
              X