Mazda 121 History

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mazda 121 History

here's a translation from a 1988 article in the german magazine "mot" die autozeitschrift. this is a section of the Q and A they had with mazda of japan executives that dealt specifically with the intro of the 121. i just thought it was interesting to know that they actually did consider putting in the 1.6 323 motor as a GTI killer. read on:

Thats a very interesting read. Thanks for sharing. Makes me want a true 121 more than ever.
    '89L 110k mi. BP/G swapped
    '90LX 68k mi. wrecked 12/14 RIP
    '90 F250 4X4 108K mi.
    '13 Kia Rio 5 LX 70k mi.
    '18 Kia Soul 40k mi. Daily
    '64 Studebaker Gran Turismo Hawk
    '66 International Harvester pickup

Comment

there are subtle differences in the sheet metal between my JDM (mazda) Festiva and a "made in korea" Festiva but its not like the metal is thicker or something. for example, the JDM Festiva spare tire well has 2 drain grommet/plugs. the US Festy has 3. what i need to get a hold of is a 121 radiator support panel for the motorized headlamps and minimalist bumper.
      Last edited by F3BZ; 01-02-2014, 08:29 PM.

Comment

But at this price it almost seems feasible to import one! Note the mileage.

http://tinyurl.com/kv8q33p
        Last edited by David88; 01-02-2014, 08:52 PM.
        '89L 110k mi. BP/G swapped
        '90LX 68k mi. wrecked 12/14 RIP
        '90 F250 4X4 108K mi.
        '13 Kia Rio 5 LX 70k mi.
        '18 Kia Soul 40k mi. Daily
        '64 Studebaker Gran Turismo Hawk
        '66 International Harvester pickup

Comment

Originally posted by David88 View Post
          But at this price it almost seems feasible to import one! Note the mileage.

http://tinyurl.com/kv8q33p
          When i was stationed in Germany i wanted to bring back my peugot 306. I really liked that car. BUT.... The safety specs in Europe are different than in America. It would have cost 3-4 thousand to get it to US specs. I didn't like the car that much. If you get one that is older than 20 or 25 years it is considered a classic and can be brought back without the safety garbage done to it.
          91 Festiva L "Erika" b3t swap on the way
          06 Jeep Cherokee Overland
          95 Aspire (sold)

Comment

i've had the need to do some research on importing a non-US car, legally this time. now that it's 2014 88/89 121s and JDM festivas are in the crosshairs. the federal rules are suspiciously relaxed for vehicles 25 yrs or older. basically, have all paperwork (in english) from the seller. notify customs at port of entry. show up at port of entry. sign 1 document with reason for exemption from DOT and EPA regs. (just check the box that states that the car is 25+ yrs. old). pay taxes and fees. drive away. of course you have to then deal with your states paper shuffle to get it registered but they generally follow the same procedure plus insurance and minor mods for inspection like installing US regulation lighting, etc. we need a trailblazer here. your time has come.

Comment

Cool stuff.
              Any difference that makes no difference is no difference.

Old Blue- New Tricks
              91 Festiva FSM PDF - Dropbox

Comment

Haahaa!! Your cars "have produced in Korea".

But yeah, it would have been nice if there would been 1.6 GTi, or 1.5 GT, with FunTop.
                Hi! Do you wanna ride with me? I have red cabrio, it has the biggest engine what was available when the car was new. It also has about every possible accessories what was available then.
                It's -89 Mazda 121 with 1,3L carb engine banana time

Comment

Ehh stuff made in Korea is still pretty damn good, I would say just a notch below Japan, and a notch above Germany.

German engineering just means a pain in the ass to work on, and expensive as all hell when things break. I have driven a BMW before, they are nothing special, especially since the one in particular I drove wireless key entry didn't work because the charger in the ignition that is supposed to charge the key when the car is started was broken. Also the semi-auto shifting was extremely slow and dimwitted compared to a Hyundai Accent with a semi-auto shifter.

I mean look at Volkswagen, they are no more reliable than a Chevy, but at least the Chevy can be cheaply and easily repaired when something goes bad.

Ok I am done with my German car rant.
                  1991 Ford Festiva BP (Full Aspire/Rio Swap) (337k Miles) (Around 95k Engine)
                  2002 Chevy Cavalier LS Sport 2.2L DOHC Ecotec (Threw a Rod)
                  1998 Chevy Monte Carlo LS 3.1 V6 (225k miles) Best MPG = 28

Comment

^Yes.
                    Any difference that makes no difference is no difference.

Old Blue- New Tricks
                    91 Festiva FSM PDF - Dropbox

Comment

My buddy was commissioned to replace the clutch in an AWD 98 Audi A4 a few years back. Regular metric sockets were useless and had to buy proprietary Audi Torx (which have nowhere near as much purchase (ie surface area grip), for starters. Hanger bearing in this car was also toast and Audi wanted $1500 for a new hoity-toity driveshaft because, to them, the hanger bearing is integral to whole unit. The shaft wound up being sent to the States where some enterprising Yank retrofits/adapts Chevy hangers to them for 1/4 the price. Entire clutch arrangement was also backwards; pressure plate was inside and flywheel outside, what a joke.
                      Needless to say the owner got rid of the car shortly thereafter and my buddy no longer wants anything to do with Audis.
                      Last edited by Bert; 01-05-2014, 10:15 AM.

Comment

Good article I just read.

Other then them calling American Settlers semi-illiterate peasants it was a good read.

Last edited by TorqueEffect; 01-05-2014, 01:31 PM.
                        1991 Ford Festiva BP (Full Aspire/Rio Swap) (337k Miles) (Around 95k Engine)
                        2002 Chevy Cavalier LS Sport 2.2L DOHC Ecotec (Threw a Rod)
                        1998 Chevy Monte Carlo LS 3.1 V6 (225k miles) Best MPG = 28

Comment

So, is there any information on when Mazda would have started producing the first 121 with the B3 engine?

Comment

Working...
                          X