improve mpg

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• improve mpg

so ive been calculating my mpg and im at a feeble 23.6 and i was wondering if you guys have any ideas. i have what seems to be a stock engine and rough condition,no mods. and i plan on doing a tune up soon. just wondering if anyone has any ideas on improving it, i am a young driver so i think i drive the car a lil harder then usual

Auto?
    When you give it the tune up change the O2 sensor. Buy a denso O2 sensor.
    Air filter
    Fuel filter
    plugs
    wires
    distributor cap
    rotor button
    youtube.com/neanderpaul 88 festiva LX w/BP G25 MR 5 speed waiting for wiring- 93 Festiva GL auto w/ air, waiting for B6t/G4A-HL - 98 Nissan Quest - 02 Mazda protege 5 wife's DD

Comment

Here's something to consider.. How much belongings do you have in your vehicle? A few hundred pounds of crap is gonna really strain that stock B3. Carry a lighter load, just what you need, and your b3 will need to put less effort into getting you up to speed.
      I know how to use the search function, I just don't always choose to use it. New modifications, solutions, and information are discovered every day and I want to know what the current concensus is for whatever topic I have in mind. Thank you for understanding this!

Comment

Don't forget about
        Oil run some synthetic.
        Do a tranny flush and put some new fluid in.
        Check/repack/or replace wheel bearings
        Run some high detergent gasoline to keep your injectors, valves, and combustion chambers clean.
        Shell has high quality gasoline.
        Or dump a can of seafoam in your gas tank every so often.
        Maybe even both.
        Running 40psi.....in my tires.

http://aspire.b1.jcink.com/index.php?showtopic=611&st=0

Comment

x2 on the tune up. also once you have done the full tune up dont forget about following a tune up schedule every year or sooner depending on driving habits. some people(including myself) will tune up a car and think it will last them 3 or 4 or more years. regular maintenance is the key on any vehicle to ensure longevity.
          Last edited by kingstonpygmies; 01-16-2014, 08:52 PM.
          90 festy with 92 FI motor. Digital camo paint. BHAF. short throw. currently 47 MPGs

Comment

thanks you guys and ive kinda looked around at prices and there wayyy over the top that id be willing to pay fir someone to do a tune up.so im most likely doing to my self. most of it should be easy enough. seafoam will be done tomarrow. whats to be considered good gas. anything i should watch out for when doing the tune up?

Comment

Shell, Bp, Exxon, Mobil, Texaco.
              They are all top tier gas stations with quality gas.

Personally shell is my brand of choice.
              And yes the tune up should be a good price done yourself.
              You'll usually pay half what a shop pays for a tune up. But with top quality products
              If you pay someone else, it costs double and they usually use cheap low quality products.
              Last edited by rmoltis; 01-17-2014, 10:52 PM.
              Running 40psi.....in my tires.

http://aspire.b1.jcink.com/index.php?showtopic=611&st=0

Comment

I was achieving particularly lousy fuel economy in a then-recent purchase Festy at one time and the installation of a new O2 sensor made a considerable difference. O2 sensors assist the Engine Control Unit (ECU) in determining air/fuel mixture and they do lose their sensitivity over time. Yours could easily be 20 years old! On top of that some brands of sensor are better than others. The search feature ought to help you out since there are previous posts regarding O2 sensors and which ones to buy.

Comment

Also make sure your brakes aren't dragging WHATSOEVER. Any little bit will drop mpg's drastically.
                  -Bryant

Comment

Originally posted by Gomez View Post
                    Also make sure your brakes aren't dragging WHATSOEVER. Any little bit will drop mpg's drastically.
                    If the brakes were dragging wouldn't the pad wear of rather quickly and make just enough of a gap.
                    91 Festiva L "Erika" b3t swap on the way
                    06 Jeep Cherokee Overland
                    95 Aspire (sold)

Comment

Plan your routes. Even if you always get 25 mpg in a different vehicle best try to get the max mpg of whatever you drive, that is a start. You can be the first out of the intersection all you want but coasting down looking ahead is nice as well. Where other people are slamming on the brakes 50 feet ahead of you, you get to mash gas on a new green while still rolling and show that coyote mustang whats up lol.
                      At shopping centers, gas stations whatever pull thru so you do not have to back up. Reversing and turning wheels while stopped eats gas and a FWD's tires.
                      Cold weather and less light out means more wiper use, headlights, increased warmup times, and more friction with the road. If you haven't been able to compare summer and winter numbers I guarantee yours will come up doing nothing in a few months.
                      1993 GL 5 speed

It's a MazdaFordnKia thing, and you will understand!

Comment

Originally posted by Chobobulous View Post
                        If the brakes were dragging wouldn't the pad wear of rather quickly and make just enough of a gap.
                        Possibly true if you never hit your brakes again. sticking calipers, frozen (or nearly frozen) ebrake linkage, or any number of other maladies can cause brakes to stay engaged even the slightest.
                        -Bryant

Comment

You never said if it was an auto trans or manual. If manual, there has been a debate on what fluid to use. Try searching on that too.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk
                          HULi ---------------------------------------------------------------------------> Any-where, any-way, any-time.
                          "CL4P-TP" - 93 Festiva L

Comment

It's auto. I finished it yesterday replaced everything except fuel filter. It was in dire need for it and there was a huge improvement. IMAG0365.jpg can't believe it still ran

Comment

Oh thats nothing compared to the junk that gets on my plugs every month. I suggest springing for a 25 dollar crane ignition coil if your stuff is old.
                              1993 GL 5 speed

It's a MazdaFordnKia thing, and you will understand!

Comment

Working...
                              X