Hitch questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hitch questions

I've searched through a few of the threads on here about hitches and towing, but none seem to be what I'm looking for. I'm looking to get a hitch put on my festiva, but it wont be for a flat tow, it would be for a motorcycle carrier type, one like this:
    41ai6t3GQzL._SX425_.jpg

A 2009 kawasaki zx6r is what would be on it. Wet weight=under 500 pounds. My concerns would be a cartoonish like tipover and/or mounting points caving in (like ones I've seen with it connected to the spare tire wheel well). I know if it was a flat trailer type it wouldnt be an issue, but would one of these be an issue?

Thats a LOT of tongue weight for something that was never meant to have a hitch in the first place.
    91GL BP/F3A with boost
    13.79 @ 100, 2.2 60' on 8 psi and 155R12's

Comment

+1 thats really even pushing the factory ratings on a light duty truck lol.
      but being serious just get a trailer and hitch ,hall it that way.

Comment

I have a two inch receiver, but the only thing I am hauling is a receiver cover.
        Last edited by bravekozak; 01-18-2014, 07:02 PM.

Comment

I have a hitch as well but only haul the 1 7/8 ball.
          1990 Red Festiva STOCK "pregnant roller skate"
          1989 Yellow Festiva BP swap "Freebird"
          2007 Ford F150 "black sunshine" full exhaust with x-pipe. K&N intake. Headman Headers.
          2001 Honda accord SOLD lots of goodies done suicide doors lowered 20 inch rims
          2005 Ford F250 6.0 Turbo Diesel "swamprat" 4 inch lift, 4 inch mbrp exhaust, egr delete, glowshift pillar gauges.
          1994 Ford F150 5.0 Completely stock.

Comment

Originally posted by william View Post
            +1 thats really even pushing the factory ratings on a light duty truck lol.
            but being serious just get a trailer and hitch ,hall it that way.
            I would have gotten a trailer but the issue is space. Nowhere to put it. Any suggestions for a small space saving trailer big enough for a motorcycle? Thats all it would be used for.

Comment

Have you tried harbor freight? I know they have a folding trailer may be able put bottom in it and it may work.
              2007 Ford F150 "black sunshine" full exhaust with x-pipe. K&N intake. Headman Headers.
              2005 Ford F250 6.0 Turbo Diesel "swamprat" 4 inch lift, 4 inch mbrp exhaust, egr delete, glowshift pillar gauges.

Comment

Yep, too much tongue weight. Small traier is the answer. I have a 4X8 folding trailer from HF. They make a smaller one.
                Contact me for information about Festiva Madness!
                Remember, FestYboy is inflatable , and Scitzz means crazy, YO!
                "Like I'm going to suggest we do the job right." ~Fecomatter May 28 2016.

Comment

I have towed capri's,aspires and multiple festys and 2500 lbs of scrap on a 4x8 tralr and I really believe the bike is gonna be to much for the festy.from wheel bearing failures to finding springs to support the extra load

Comment

Yes, if set up correctly your receiver shouldn't have much actual weight on it. Its all in the design and length of the Tongue.
                    Some people like to read fiction,I prefer to read repair manuals. Weird I know-
                    Henry Ford: "Failure is the opportunity to begin again more intelligently"
                    Fuseable Link Distribution Block repair link

Comment

Definitely wouldn't trust any of the hitches that bolt to your tow hooks, and a trailer is probably the best way to go. You could make harbor freights trailer like I bought work for that really easily, and if you don't put side rails on it you could lean it up against a wall somewhere and leave it there. Easily towed with any hitch you put on the car. I can get you measurements of how wide tall and deep mine is if I leaned it up against a wall if you need it, just pm me.

If your dead set on using a bicycle carrier type of setup I am sure a hitch like mine could handle it. I've probably got close to 120 lbs of tongue weight from the trailer after I extended it and put rails up, then the framing and the toolbox stuffed with tools. It's heavy enough I'm thinking about putting a trailer jack on it now, it's a real bear to manhandle now. Anyway I stuck my 03 predator 90 on the trailer and that added more tongue weight, then my 200 lbs jumping on the tongue to get it to lock down over the ball.. Yea I have no doubt a hitch like mine would handle that load. You would for sure have to get some beefier springs, I'm using 150# Springs in the rear and it feels really good pulling a trailer.. Pretty decent when I'm light too but you gotta watch gravel back roads over 30 mph, the rear end will slide a bit if you let it.
                      2008 Kia Rio- new beater
                      1987 F-150- revived and CLEAN!!!
                      1987 Suzuki Dual Sport- fun beater bike
                      1993 Festiva- Fiona, DD
                      1997 Aspire- Peaspire, Refurb'd, sold
                      1997 Aspire- Babyspire, DD
                      1994 Aspire - Project Kiazord
                      1994 Aspire- Crustyspire, RIP

"If it moves, grease it, if it don't, paint it, and if it ain't broke don't fix it!"

Comment

Originally posted by 90fastiva View Post
                        Have you tried harbor freight? I know they have a folding trailer may be able put bottom in it and it may work.
                        Is this the one you have?
                        Harbor Freight buys their top quality tools from the same factories that supply our competitors. We cut out the middleman and pass the savings to you!

Have any pictures of your setup?

Comment

Originally posted by b1gballin View Post
                          Is this the one you have?
                          Harbor Freight buys their top quality tools from the same factories that supply our competitors. We cut out the middleman and pass the savings to you!

Have any pictures of your setup?
                          My dad has that setup. I can try and get some pictures tomorrow if I can. I don't tow with my festiva only trailer I have is 19 ft long. His trailer does really well although he only got it for his lawmower.

Comment

Originally posted by zoom zoom View Post
                            Definitely wouldn't trust any of the hitches that bolt to your tow hooks
                            I have one on my car. It works well in the class 1 range, wouldn't go any higher with it, though.
                            Contact me for information about Festiva Madness!
                            Remember, FestYboy is inflatable , and Scitzz means crazy, YO!
                            "Like I'm going to suggest we do the job right." ~Fecomatter May 28 2016.

Comment

I'll throw my two cents in...

Grab up a Curt 11566 hitch from the least expensive source possible. [CURT 11566 HITCH INSTALL THREAD]

Here's what my [HF trailer model 42708] looks like on my car:

By itself:

You can often find them for the same price on Craigslist, but you may have to replace bearings that you can source from Advance Auto for $11/pack, all parts included. I suggest Craigslist for single Jet Ski trailers. If you can find one cheap enough (the original jet ski trailers were pretty small - just big enough for a bike), that's your best bet. Whatever trailer you get, you can mount a bike-holder (front tire) from HF or NT for less than $25. If you are serious about getting a trailer from HF, I have a 25%-off coupon I'll toss in the mail for you, but it's only good until the end of the month. No way I'm using it before then.

OH YEAH! You'll need a wiring converter for the trailer (cars with amber signals to 4-pin connector). I got the Hopkins #48895, but there's also the Curt #56175.
                              Last edited by DriverOne; 01-19-2014, 04:55 PM.
                              In love with a MadScientist!:thumbright:
                              There's a fine line between breathtaking ingenuity and "That's the stupidest thing I've ever seen!"

Comment

Working...
                              X