Trailer size for a Festiva

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trailer size for a Festiva

Would this trailer be big enough to fit a Festiva on?

mine fits fine on my 6x12. also the low sides will let you get out the door when your on it rather than crawling out the window
    90 festy with 92 FI motor. Digital camo paint. BHAF. short throw. currently 47 MPGs

Comment

Good looking trailer!
      Contact me for information about Festiva Madness!
      Remember, FestYboy is inflatable , and Scitzz means crazy, YO!
      "Like I'm going to suggest we do the job right." ~Fecomatter May 28 2016.

Comment

That is a nice looking trailer!
        Running 40psi.....in my tires.

http://aspire.b1.jcink.com/index.php?showtopic=611&st=0

Comment

I have a 6x12 also but it is a little different. The problem I see is that you will have a crap load of tongue weight on your hauler. The trailer axle is pretty far back. Like kingstonpygmies said the low trailer sides will make a huge difference. I have to crawl out of the windows to get out of mine. They low sides will also let you pull forward just enough to allow the gate to be closed without rubbing either end. My gate has to be removed so the rear bumper cover won't hit. This is with the front bumper cover 4 inches back of the rails.

Again my only concern is with the tongue weight.
          -Bryant

Comment

Drive it on backwards on the trailer, maybe. The wheels are pretty far back, like Gomez said. First thing that came to mind was the tongue weight.
            The engine weight would be more over the wheels
            Last edited by drddan; 01-18-2014, 10:41 PM.
            Dan

Red 1988 Festiva L - CUJO

Black 1992 Festiva GL Sport - BLACK MAGIC

I'm just...a little slow... sometimes:withstupid:

R.I.P.
            Blue 1972 Chevelle SS-468 C.I.D. B'nM TH400-4:56 posi-Black racing stripes-Black vinyl top-Black int.
            Black on black 1976 Camaro LT-350 4 bolt main .060 over
            Silver 1988 Festiva L

My Music!
            http://www.reverbnation.com/main/sea...t_songs/266647

Comment

I'm going to drive up and take a look at this in person to see I could possibly pull it with my
              Festiva. At 600lbs total weight empty it should not be a problem. The payload limit of 2400
              would easily handle an 1800 lbs of Festiva. But that would be 2400 pounds pushing from
              behind when I have to brake it would definitely be a problem.

With this hitch the maximum tongue weight is 100lbs and maximum trailer weight is 1000, so I'm thinking
              this may not be not possible with my stock Festiva. Would probably work for short distance at low speed but I don't think
              this setup would be very safe at interstate highway speeds.

Comment

1990new, I don't know if you saw it or not, but the Curt 11566 hitch is not a frame-mounted hitch. The reason that the max weight is 1,000-lbs is because the hitch actually mounts to the rear bumper and spare tire well. It looks like this:

It's the hitch I have the write-up for.

[HITCH WRITE-UP]

...I should get around to my wiring instructional!

I noticed that the post has been removed! Have you purchased the trailer?
                Last edited by DriverOne; 01-19-2014, 04:36 PM.
                In love with a MadScientist!:thumbright:
                There's a fine line between breathtaking ingenuity and "That's the stupidest thing I've ever seen!"

Comment

Thanks for pointing that out Dustin. I was going by the picture showing the hitch that bolted to the frame.
                  The hitch on Bessie bolts to the two tow hooks on each side and also to the spare tire well so it is more substantial
                  than the one here, but I think its still probably not a good idea to tow this trailer on the highway with my stock Festiva.

No, haven't even gone to look at it yet. I also noticed that the craigslist link is no longer active for that one but there are other links showing the same trailer still on the Charleston craigslist. It's a dealer so they have lots of different trailers for sale.
                  Last edited by 1990new; 01-19-2014, 05:15 PM.

Comment

Jess, that trailer is beautiful! A Festiva backed onto that trailer will pull very well! If the axle was farther forward, that'd be an easy tow for the Festy. I understand your feelings about it towing down the highway. I don't know if it matters (and this is just a generality), but I've found that for towing, the Aspire rear springs really seem to help! I pulled a piano with my (Christmas present from my sister!) HF 4x8 trailer and the car sat firmly. There were few bounces, and the load seemed controlled. The car rides like a heavy-duty pickup when there's no weight in it or on the hitch, but it's not too harsh.
                    In love with a MadScientist!:thumbright:
                    There's a fine line between breathtaking ingenuity and "That's the stupidest thing I've ever seen!"

Comment

Working...
                    X