new aspire brake swap!! help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• new aspire brake swap!! help

so ive poked around a bit but im still a bit confused about some points. First off should i use the lower ball joint and control arm assembly for a aspire or festiva. im buying new parts so i dont want to order the wrong part. im also painting everthing red. this thing is going to look like a ligit hot wheels car. and also what cars have steelies i can use cuz i can hit the junk yard and find some. thanks guys ill post pics of the process as it goes
    Last edited by 2jzkilla; 01-24-2014, 03:29 PM.

Festiva lower ball joint/arm.

Aspire outer tie rod ends.

Use this site for wheel lookup;

Comment

Originally posted by 2jzkilla View Post
      so ive poked around a bit but im still a bit confused about some points. First off should i use the lower ball joint and control arm assembly for a aspire or festiva. im buying new parts so i dont want to order the wrong part. im also painting everthing red. this thing is going to look like a ligit hot wheels car. and also what cars have steelies i can use cuz i can hit the junk yard and find some. thanks guys ill post pics of the process as it goes
      Once you've got the Aspire goodies bolted on you find that early Kia Rio rims are perfect as to hub-centric fit and wheel offset. Grab 14s if you can since 13s are quickly becoming obsolete.

Comment

Will 14s fit they seem big for the wells. Thanks guys

Comment

14's fit, just watch the offset. Most prefer 165-45-14 tires if you can find them, I'm using 185-60-14 on mine.
          Last edited by Team Lightning; 01-27-2014, 02:35 PM.
          Jerry
          Team Lightning

Owner of Team Lightning
          90 L "Peewee" B6D. Bought new May 16,1990
          92 L Thunder BP G5M-R Turbo B6T electronics. Jan 2016 FOTM winner SOLD
          93 L Lightning. BP

Not a user of drugs or alcohol, Just addicted to Festiva's

Comment

Originally posted by 2jzkilla View Post
            Will 14s fit they seem big for the wells. Thanks guys
            Have a gander at these. Top picture is of a stock Festy. You will notice that 2nd and 3rd shot (of Aspire swapped Festy) sees the trailing arm mounting bracket drop considerably through the use of the Aspire part.

Top) OEM 145/80-12s followed by 2) 13s on Aspire rims and 3) 155-65-14s on 2001 Kia Rio alloys. Tire diameter is 21" for the 12s and 21 3/4" for those 14s. Wheelbase has expanded a good 1 1/2" via Aspire fixins and the wider rims.
            Last edited by Bert; 01-27-2014, 07:08 PM.

Comment

The tires that are on the rims now are 185 70 14.what i'm most worried about is my turning radius. I'm going to discount tire to seewhat the smallest tires they have for that size are. Heres a pic of the wheels

Comment

There were Metro Alloys, and they were 14"s? Learn something new every day.

I quite like the look of the Kia alloys. I assume those are off a Rio? I think they would look very sharp painted gloss black.
                Last edited by TorqueEffect; 01-28-2014, 02:58 PM.
                1991 Ford Festiva BP (Full Aspire/Rio Swap) (337k Miles) (Around 95k Engine)
                2002 Chevy Cavalier LS Sport 2.2L DOHC Ecotec (Threw a Rod)
                1998 Chevy Monte Carlo LS 3.1 V6 (225k miles) Best MPG = 28

Comment

Originally posted by TorqueEffect View Post
                  There were Metro Alloys, and they were 14"s? Learn something new every day.
                  I quite like the look of the Kia alloys. I assume those are off a Rio? I think they would look very sharp painted gloss black.
                  I don't think Metros/Swifts/Fireflies ever had alloys nor was there ever anything in the way of 14s. Early cars had 12s and later ones were outfitted with 13s. As to Kia Rio 14" alloys there are numerous profiles out there but beggars can't be choosers when they're free (such as mine were). I've gotten used to them but have noticed that there are much prettier ones around.

Comment

The wheels came off a geo prism but I test fitted them to the aspire in the junk yard and they fit the hub and bolt pattern. I'm just worried about the turning radius. On a side note will the long block swap over to the festy if I used all the parts from my block? Thanks again

Comment

Working...
                    X