Replacement Radiator

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Replacement Radiator

Can anyone tell me if you can fit a larger radiator into a factory manual space and will it give it more heat?
    More fluid, more heat? Anyone?

I would think that a larger radiator would actually make the engine run cooler, due to the larger surface of the "part that cools or dissipates heat". i.e., the radiator.

Comment

More fluid would be less heat. Wouldn't get as hot in the block. Best bet is hotter thermostat. $15
      1988 Ford Festiva "Sonic" BPT g25mr MS2 standalone ecu, FOTY '11, Best Beater FMV, Fan Favorite FMVI

1989 Ford Mustang GT 5.slow

1996 Ford F-150

Comment

Since you're in WI, I assume you mean you want more heat from your heater. A larger radiator will remove more heat from your coolant which will make the heater core cooler also, so less heater. It will probably make your engine run at a lower temp than it should, at least in the winter. You need less heat being removed from the radiator in the cold air, but probably you have one of the several possible heater problems with your car. Type in keywords in the upper right search box for previous posts.
        When I'm good I'm very, very good and when I'm bad I'm HORRID.

Comment

It was a thought, just in the wrong way. I get heat pretty good out of my Festi, just looking for more of it. No problem at all

Comment

A lot of guys are talking about blocking the radiator and grille an bumper.
            1988 Ford Festiva "Sonic" BPT g25mr MS2 standalone ecu, FOTY '11, Best Beater FMV, Fan Favorite FMVI

1989 Ford Mustang GT 5.slow

1996 Ford F-150

Comment

I have been wondering if there is a way to mount the radiator inside the car for more heat...lol

Comment

Originally posted by iriegnome View Post
                It was a thought, just in the wrong way. I get heat pretty good out of my Festi, just looking for more of it. No problem at all
                pm your addy,I was just in Keno last night. I'll bring you some material that I use to block the air flow. I will help if you turn off the fresh air intake on your dash lever as well.(but the window defrost doesnt work as well in this mode)
                Some people like to read fiction,I prefer to read repair manuals. Weird I know-
                Henry Ford: "Failure is the opportunity to begin again more intelligently"
                Fuseable Link Distribution Block repair link

Comment

a larger radiator will cool more hence the reason for a bigger radiator when say u swap from a 4 cylinder to a v8

Comment

I welded in an extra mount for an Aspire rad. I abandonded the plan after I installed A/C. It hit the compressor. I still have the Aspire rad for sale.

Comment

I am thinking that the heater core inside the car is what is to blame for Festy heating woes. Aspire heaters (same engine!) seem to work perfectly well. The inlet and outlet pipes should be moving a greater volume of fluid and perhaps the heat exchanger itself should be larger. I haven't played with this (hey, extreme cold only lasts a couple of weeks a year) but did insulate all of the external pipes and hoses at one time and totally block off the radiator. Even that made very little difference.
                      Was -15 to -20 F around here during all of last week so I decided to run the engine at average 3000 rpm instead of the usual 2000 while driving. By doing this I actually got cabin heat for the first time in a decade. You get very little sympathy about frigid driving from southern folks and yesterday, for instance, when it was a mere 10 F I had to turn the blower down to 1 because it was getting too hot inside.

Comment

On my few Festy winter trips into the Interior of Alaska from Los Anchorage, I've found that when it gets down into the minus 30s (F or C -- the scales cross at minus 40), the Festy heating system is a zero. You keep yourself warm by continuously scraping ice off the inside of the windshield.
                        88L black, dailydriver
                        88LX silver a/c, dailydriver
                        4 88/89 disassembled
                        91L green
                        91GL aqua pwrsteer
                        92GL red a/c reardmg
                        3 93L blue, 2 dailydriver, 1 frontdmg
                        1952 Cessna170B floatplane

Comment

Yeah its pretty obvious the Festy heating & defrost system wasn't tested in extreme cold weather. Or else they new it was marginal and just said "Good Enough". I had a 94 Ranger that couldn't melt Ice of the Window.I'd have to get out repeatedly in a snow storm and scrape ice.Its one of the main reasons I don't drive mine in the winter (and dont want them getting all road Salty).
                          Some people like to read fiction,I prefer to read repair manuals. Weird I know-
                          Henry Ford: "Failure is the opportunity to begin again more intelligently"
                          Fuseable Link Distribution Block repair link

Comment

Working...
                          X