Festiva World landspeed record...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Festiva World landspeed record...

I am kicking around the idea of a super modified Festiva. I have set aside a nest egg for my Festiva. I thought it might be fun to partner up with a friend who owns a hotrod shop. He has a Northstar Caddy engine doing nothing but collecting dust. Or maybe get my hands on a Buick V6 from a Grand National.. Hmm .. Anyways see the direction I am going.
    My question is has anyone ever tried installing a V8 (other than the one on the web with the dual exhaust coming out of the roof). I am considering chopping the car somewhat to make additional room for the engine in the engine bay, not the back seat. I have another friend who teaches welding and body repair at the local Vo-Tech school. This will be a show car only, being road legal is not a concern. I think I want rear wheel drive too.. I what a fun strip car or exhibition type vehicle to have fun with.. wheelie bars... lol

Thoughts or suggestions?

If you are going that far, you might as well go all the way.

Jet engine power!

How big did you say your Festiva nest egg was again?

Maybe this would be a little more affordable. That will take up most of the room inside your Festiva. I am sure nobody would challenge you at the track. 1.5 second quarter miles. Make him an offer and slap it in. A Festiva with a big hole in the front and flames shooting four feet out the back would look awesome. Even Henry Ford would be impressed.

Even if it didn't work, as long as it was all chromed, polished and painted, you could take from car show to car show as the world's fastest Festiva. Don't forget the bikini girls.

Whoa! Wait a minute. I forgot you would to have to relocate the shifter!
    Do you really need a shifter anyway?
    How do jet cars work? Just say a prayer and push the ignition button?

Forget the parachute. You're a goner!

The ultimate jet powered Festiva!
    Last edited by bravekozak; 01-28-2014, 09:26 AM.

Comment

I can guarantee you will be smiling at every stage of the build. You will be on magazine covers (with the bikini girls). Just take off all the junk on the engine, so that it is perfectly round, and fit her in. Even Jay's shogun would be put to shame. Totally wild! Even if the turbine didn't fire, just the sound of it compressing the air is mentally defeating for anyone.

Can't touch that!
      Last edited by bravekozak; 01-28-2014, 09:38 AM.

Comment

There's been a handful of v8 festivas, but regardless i don't think a v8 will aid any with a landspeed attempt.
        '93 BP-T 57trim TO4E - Coilovers - 13x7 steelies - 175/60 - 48k mi

Comment

Never thought about the Jet engine.. Way too funny.. Hmmm Festiva funny car... put little stubby wingletts on it like an attack chopper.. bikini girls.....

Comment

Just cutting big round holes front and back would be a hoot.
            Make sure you leave the stereo system in. That would be even funnier.
            Ask the seller what the dimensions are on the engine.
            I bet the other guy lowballed him at $500 and $700. Try $800 and see if he counteroffers.

The jet cars always come out at dusk, because everyone wants to see the flames.
            You have to whip your head from side to side, because they are that fast.

Besides, it's a great learning experience with jet engines.

Forget the wingletts. Add a minigun on each side + a candy camouflage paint job.
            Or get a fun top with a rat patrol minigun sticking out the top. Make sure the girls have camo bikinis and chrome army helmets. Paint four stars for the general. You wear a general's uniform from the costume shop and perform inspection (on the bikini girls standing at attention and saluting you). You may need some local reserves with bayonets for crowd control.
            Last edited by bravekozak; 01-28-2014, 10:37 AM.

Comment

Fastiva already maxed a bpt g series out at 163. Its gonna take taller tires and longer gearing to go faster. Not more power. There's also the fact that these are aero bricks.
              91GL BP/F3A with boost
              13.79 @ 100, 2.2 60' on 8 psi and 155R12's

Comment

Need baby rocket's suspension mods and 2 speed front hubs.
                Any difference that makes no difference is no difference.

Old Blue- New Tricks
                91 Festiva FSM PDF - Dropbox

Comment

looking for rwd go with mazda turbo rotary engine 300-500 h.p. & small (check out youtube vids where they put them in chevy sprints) use the 8.8 inch ford rear end.
                  Never Hire a Boy to do a Man's Job!!

Comment

and leave room in the budget for life insurance.

Comment

EFI 300 I-6 mounted in the rear with a V-drive. T-56 trans, twin turbos.
                      1963 Fairlane - future NSS drag car
                      1965 Mustang Coupe - A-code car, restoring for/with my son
                      1973 F100 longbed - only 22k original miles, 360/auto, disk, PS/PB dealer in dash A/C
                      1996 Sonoma X-cab - son's DD
                      2002 Grand Prix - daughter's DD
                      2003 Sport Trac - 180k, 130k on replaced motor with new timing chains - F/S soon.
                      2005 Accord - wife's DD
                      2008 Mountaineer - step daughter's DD
                      2015 F150 SCrew - DD

Comment

My ideas have been criticized about aerodynamics.. But in this instance I'll feel free..

Basically if you're going to achieve this feat of worlds fastest festiva landspeed record.. I'll presume that you're taking this on a salt plain..

Lower to the ground the better, under car spoilers to move as much wind out from under the car as possible (Saab is a great example), tilt/lower the windshield to allow for less wind resistance, slant back to allow for equal resistance across rear, the thing that runs across the top of the evo windshields..

Wouldn't mind seeing the aerodynamics on a stock Festiva in a wind tunnel..

My other idea is make it a single seater and intentionally move drivers spot to the centre of the car, custom dashboard.. Gearstick in dashboard and shifted like an auto or similar to an arcade machine.. Narrow the front of the car and find a windshield that will taper upto the roof to a narrow point and gull the door/s and is broad at base and meets bonnet with smooth seam for less resistance..

When takeoff occurs, have it rigged to play your favourite music track as you're topping 230mph and rising..

A example would be:
                        Zz top - LA grand

sent from the depths of hell.
                        Last edited by jawbraeka; 01-29-2014, 08:10 AM.
                        Ford Festiva 1991 WA Model (5 Door)
                        Nicknamed the car 'The Chiva' (Chilli Festiva)

Avg Economy:
                        Highway - 7.32L/100km
                        City - yet to be determined.

Comment

Originally posted by jawbraeka View Post
                          My ideas have been criticized about aerodynamics.. But in this instance I'll feel free..

Basically if you're going to achieve this feat of worlds fastest festiva landspeed record.. I'll presume that you're taking this on a salt plain..

Lower to the ground the better, under car spoilers to move as much wind out from under the car as possible (Saab is a great example), tilt/lower the windshield to allow for less wind resistance, slant back to allow for equal resistance across rear, the thing that runs across the top of the evo windshields..

Wouldn't mind seeing the aerodynamics on a stock Festiva in a wind tunnel..

My other idea is make it a single seater and intentionally move drivers spot to the centre of the car, custom dashboard.. Gearstick in dashboard and shifted like an auto or similar to an arcade machine.. Narrow the front of the car and find a windshield that will taper upto the roof to a narrow point and gull the door/s and is broad at base and meets bonnet with smooth seam for less resistance..

When takeoff occurs, have it rigged to play your favourite music track as you're topping 230mph and rising..

A example would be:
                          Zz top - LA grange
                          Skrillex - Sprites and monsters.

Ford Festiva 1991 WA Model (5 Door)
                          Nicknamed the car 'The Chiva' (Chilli Festiva)

Avg Economy:
                          Highway - 7.32L/100km
                          City - yet to be determined.

Comment

You don't have to actually go 500 mph, just look like you could.
                            Go ahead and put an offer on that jet engine.

Comment

If your actually going for a landspeed attempt you will not want a V8 in the back of the car. Keep your ballast as far forward as possible and I'd keep it fwd. Dragonhealer has already done a good portion of the calculation for several different class attempts with a Festiva, and he built a miata 1.6 powered car that went around 260mph and still holds the record iirc.
                              Edit: The above car was a roadster, not a Festiva.
                              Last edited by Advancedynamix; 01-29-2014, 01:30 PM.
                              Driving for me is neither a right nor a privilege. Driving is my passion, as it was for the people who invented the automobile, the people who paved the first roads and the people who continue to improve the automobile. Please respect this passion.

Comment

Working...
                              X