Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What tire shops let you buy tires without installation? (Besides Online shops)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What tire shops let you buy tires without installation? (Besides Online shops)

Going to be getting two new front tires soon, but I can't find any info on any tire shop chains whether they will sell you the tires without installation.

I know Sears won't but who else will?
    1991 Ford Festiva BP (Full Aspire/Rio Swap) (337k Miles) (Around 95k Engine)
    2002 Chevy Cavalier LS Sport 2.2L DOHC Ecotec (Threw a Rod)
    1998 Chevy Monte Carlo LS 3.1 V6 (225k miles) Best MPG = 28

Discount tire let me
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Nancy- 1.8L BP, aspire swap, g-trans
    The Adventures of Nancy! Build Thread
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My Musica! Click me!

Comment

Woo! That where I was going to go too.

Thanks.

Comment

I've bought loose Kumhos at Discount tires. I doubt I'll buy anymore, they just don't last.

Onlinetires.com has Maxxis MA-202 for $38.13 each. That's $152.52 and Ground shipping to me is $43.12 for all 4 for a grand total of $195.64, not too bad, anyone ever run the Maxxis tire?

Last edited by Larry Hampton; 01-30-2014, 04:52 PM.
        1963 Fairlane - future NSS drag car
        1965 Mustang Coupe - A-code car, restoring for/with my son
        1973 F100 longbed - only 22k original miles, 360/auto, disk, PS/PB dealer in dash A/C
        1996 Sonoma X-cab - son's DD
        2002 Grand Prix - daughter's DD
        2003 Sport Trac - 180k, 130k on replaced motor with new timing chains - F/S soon.
        2005 Accord - wife's DD
        2008 Mountaineer - step daughter's DD
        2015 F150 SCrew - DD

Comment

I don't know of anywhere that requires them to mount them. But a lot of chains will still charge you for tire recycling fee and other minor crap so check that out before paying.
          Last edited by rockin86ranger; 01-30-2014, 04:52 PM.

Comment

walmart does but limited sizes. discounttiredirect as mentioned cheap & free ship
            Never Hire a Boy to do a Man's Job!!

Comment

Originally posted by TorqueEffect View Post
              Going to be getting two new front tires soon, but I can't find any info on any tire shop chains whether they will sell you the tires without installation.

I know Sears won't but who else will?
              When did Sears start doing that?? I've bought at least 3 sets "cash and carry" from Sears. Also bought from Walmart, Discount Tire, and a local Firestone dealer to name a few.

Yes there MAY be the tire disposal fee but I've been mounting and balancing my own tires for at least 35 years and haven't ever been refused a cash and carry deal.

Comment

Tires-easy.com I've used before.
                1988 Ford Festiva "Sonic" BPT g25mr MS2 standalone ecu, FOTY '11, Best Beater FMV, Fan Favorite FMVI

1989 Ford Mustang GT 5.slow

1996 Ford F-150

Comment

Ive never met a place who wouldnt take my money for tires.

Comment

Originally posted by kumalaba View Post
                    discounttiredirect as mentioned cheap & free ship
                    Just looked, I searched for all 13" tires and no results at all. EDIT: woops, I was doing a search for Winter tires.

Originally posted by lessersivad View Post
                    When did Sears start doing that?? I've bought at least 3 sets "cash and carry" from Sears. Also bought from Walmart, Discount Tire, and a local Firestone dealer to name a few.

Yes there MAY be the tire disposal fee but I've been mounting and balancing my own tires for at least 35 years and haven't ever been refused a cash and carry deal.
                    That is just what I read online, and apparently it is in their policy.

Originally posted by Flyin4stroke View Post
                    Tires-easy.com I've used before.
                    I don't recognize any of those ultra generic sounding tire brands.
                    Last edited by TorqueEffect; 01-30-2014, 09:30 PM.

Comment

I bought a couple (couple weeks ago?) from Sears and took them somewhere else to get mounted and balanced. Then went this week and got the remaining 4 155/80/13's they had, they wanted something like 250 but I told them I didn't want the road hazard program or anything extra at all. Just mount and balance,4 dismounts I kept my old/good all seasons and the total was around 215 for all 4. They even threw in new (chrome) valve stems and caps for free.

The bad part is they don't keep very good inventory so they don't even know what they got! That's what the counter guys said anyway. They can print up a list of what they have on sale and in stock but they gotta double check the racks to make sure they have them lol..
                      Last edited by zoom zoom; 01-30-2014, 10:56 PM.
                      2008 Kia Rio- new beater
                      1987 F-150- revived and CLEAN!!!
                      1987 Suzuki Dual Sport- fun beater bike
                      1993 Festiva- Fiona, DD
                      1997 Aspire- Peaspire, Refurb'd, sold
                      1997 Aspire- Babyspire, DD
                      1994 Aspire - Project Kiazord
                      1994 Aspire- Crustyspire, RIP

"If it moves, grease it, if it don't, paint it, and if it ain't broke don't fix it!"

Comment

Discount Tire in Seattle sells w/o mounting. In fact, when I tell them I'm taking the tires to Alaska as checked airline baggage (it takes up to a week to drive there, so most people fly), they often box them up with two per carboard box from a 21" SUV wheel so they're ready to check.

When buying studded tires, I once had a tire show refuse to sell me just two, insisting that I also needed them on the non-driving wheels.
                        88L black, dailydriver
                        88LX silver a/c, dailydriver
                        4 88/89 disassembled
                        91L green
                        91GL aqua pwrsteer
                        92GL red a/c reardmg
                        3 93L blue, 2 dailydriver, 1 frontdmg
                        1952 Cessna170B floatplane

Comment

Anyplace should allow carry out.

Just no warranty, as there's no vin to challenge what vehicle they were installed onto for database reference...

Tires wear, get nails, so all that nonsense is a waste of money.

Spoon it off and patch it.

Studding, I had to bring in rim/tire mounted. Did 2. Worked so well did the other 2 a month later.

Both times asked if I'm a mail carrier. I said nope. Off road racing. $110 I'm 4 rubber pokies.

Sent from my rooted HTC Supersonic using Tapatalk 2 Pro
                          Last edited by jason_; 01-31-2014, 06:16 PM.

Comment

Not really sure if this is relevant really, but maybe ask them with a Tina Turner demeanour and said "what does being a mail carrier got to do with it?"

sent from the depths of hell.
                            Last edited by jawbraeka; 01-31-2014, 06:54 PM.
                            Ford Festiva 1991 WA Model (5 Door)
                            Nicknamed the car 'The Chiva' (Chilli Festiva)

Avg Economy:
                            Highway - 7.32L/100km
                            City - yet to be determined.

Comment

So in your guy's opinions. What is the best tires for the price in these lists.

Discount Tire Direct is retiring, but check out our partners at Tire Rack! With tires and wheels for virtually every vehicle make and model, Tire Rack is your new source for the best prices and selection for online and mail-order purchases.

Discount Tire Direct is retiring, but check out our partners at Tire Rack! With tires and wheels for virtually every vehicle make and model, Tire Rack is your new source for the best prices and selection for online and mail-order purchases.

Reading good things about the Geostar tires.

Comment

Working...
                              X