Power inverter question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Power inverter question

I have a coupon from harbor freight for one of their little 100psi pancake compressors. Anybody have any idea what size inverter it would take to run one of these. I figure I can use it for roadside stuff like airing up tires and little minor things (I have an electric impact that I keep with me, would like to put the charger on the same inverter but they won't be used together) part of the reason for going with the pancake compressor is it will give me a small air tank that I can use for my air horns as well and air shocks. I know the air won't last long with that small tank but for the price I can get figure it will work. I won't be running the compressor all the time but would like to be able to use it if I need it, will try to fill it at the house if I know I will need it. I just really don't know what kind of power it will pull, they have inverters on sale too so I would like to try to get them together.

Just FYI this isn't going in a festiva, it's going in my junkyard dog.

Your best answer lies in the product info for both those items. Just make sure that the wattage draw of the compressor doesn't exceed the normal output (not peak) of the inverter. You will have to wire the inverter to the battery, as that kind of draw exceeds the 12v socket adapter's capacity. If you're unsure of the usage, HF sells a wall-mount power usage meter too.
    Last edited by DriverOne; 02-01-2014, 02:28 AM.
    In love with a MadScientist!:thumbright:
    There's a fine line between breathtaking ingenuity and "That's the stupidest thing I've ever seen!"

Comment

I'd wager 400 watts.
      -Zack
      Blue '93 GL Auto: White 13" 5 Point Wheels, Full LED Conversion, and an 8" Sub

Comment

Rocking,if you want air for shocks,air bags,horns etc there is a much simpler light weight and low power solution.
        Small 12 v compressor
        small air tank 1-2 gallon
        adjustable pressure switch

tank drops below your desired psi.Compressor comes on,pressurizes tank & system to desiredcut off psi.
        You don't need or want big big/heavy components. You can totally fab this up with a"portable" 12v air compressor & some ingenuity. Total added weight could be as little as 10lbs? The heaviest component would be your tank.
        If I was going to build this system(which would be fun btw) my goal would be to get a compressor thats not to loud. Some of them are really noisy. But its totally feasible to build a custom system that could air your tire.And monitor your tank pressure while driving. Build it right with no leaks and the pump wont even work that much. Just supply power to compressor with a KEY ON relay. Dont wire pump directly to battery. this will keep pump from drawing off battery in the misfortune of a leak.Good luck,its a cool idea you have. hope this gives you a little more thought into your system.-
        ps I would use high pressure plastic tubing with press in quick disconnects.I work with these all the time. You can get these fittings in a multitude of configurations and sizes for very cheap.
        Some people like to read fiction,I prefer to read repair manuals. Weird I know-
        Henry Ford: "Failure is the opportunity to begin again more intelligently"
        Fuseable Link Distribution Block repair link

Comment

Most inverters are listed as watts. The formula for watts is: volts x amps = watts. Example: If the compressor motor takes 5 amps under full load, then multiply 120 (volts) X 5 (amps) which would give you a minimum size of 600 watts. Starting watt load would probably be higher than full load watts, so you would have to take that into consideration, too.
          You gonna race that thing?
          http://www.sdfcomputers.com/Festivaracing.htm

Comment

Well part of the reason for looking at this one is it was compact so it wouldn't take up much room, I did find a 150psi 6gallon that I am debating on its a little over double the price but could do a little more. The reason I don't want to do a custom in car build is with this one I can remove it and carry it when I need air where the car won't go or isn't allowed (like a junkyard), also the small one is $40 with my coupon. I have an extra 5gallon tank at the house with the hose broke off that I would probably plumb into the system to give me move volume.

Still torn I know overall I would be happier with the 6 gallon but the price of the 3gallon 100psi makes it so tempting and it would do all the in car functions and a lot of the little out of car functions but it would be nice to be able to run some of my air tools if need be (I know the 6gallon one is still on the small side but in a pinch it would do most of what I need). Going to take some measurements and see how much room I have to spare.

Also I did find somewhere last night where someone ran one of these off of a 400watt inverter, they are $30 this month at harbor freight (400 watt continuous 800? Watt max) so I might look into getting one.

Comment

r86r, let me know how well the inverter works for you. I'm looking for one to mount under the passenger seat of my Festiva, and I want at least 400w. Most things at HF are awesome, but sometimes you run into duds.
              In love with a MadScientist!:thumbright:
              There's a fine line between breathtaking ingenuity and "That's the stupidest thing I've ever seen!"

Comment

Originally posted by rockin86ranger View Post
                Well part of the reason for looking at this one is it was compact so it wouldn't take up much room, I did find a 150psi 6gallon that I am debating on its a little over double the price but could do a little more. The reason I don't want to do a custom in car build is with this one I can remove it and carry it when I need air where the car won't go or isn't allowed (like a junkyard), also the small one is $40 with my coupon. I have an extra 5gallon tank at the house with the hose broke off that I would probably plumb into the system to give me move volume.

Still torn I know overall I would be happier with the 6 gallon but the price of the 3gallon 100psi makes it so tempting and it would do all the in car functions and a lot of the little out of car functions but it would be nice to be able to run some of my air tools if need be (I know the 6gallon one is still on the small side but in a pinch it would do most of what I need). Going to take some measurements and see how much room I have to spare.

Also I did find somewhere last night where someone ran one of these off of a 400watt inverter, they are $30 this month at harbor freight (400 watt continuous 800? Watt max) so I might look into getting one.
                So your gonna lug a compressor around when you have a cordless impact? Two people I know that bought those Chinese inverters hated them btw.(I owned a Race Track thats in a rural area) They kept blowing the fuse,they are ok till they warm up and you try to pull to many amps. I have to winterize vacant frozen homes.The most important thing I need is a large air supply to blow out the lines. I have no electricity in most of these homes.I've got portable/small air supply down to a science. Especially since I drive a shoebox. I can no longer afford the space of my large 25 gal compressor.I had my Aspire stuffed with garden hoses and tools just last night. If you want an impact at the JY why not use a cordless with a back up battery? And save your money for a good compressor in the garage. But please dont buy an Cheap inverter to try to power a compressor.Its gonna fail on you when you need it the most. They are great for Laptops etc but not for loads like this. Just my two cents

Comment

The plan is to be able to carry it if I need air somewhere else, like if the law mower has a flat in the middle of the field, or in the shed that has no power, and various other needs for air. A lot of times I need to air something up somewhere that's to soft to safely get a car too. I also use air for more than my impact, the electric impact is what I use for junkyards and other remote locations as far as that goes but it's battery only lasts so long. I don't absolutely need the ability to run the impact which is why I was looking at the smaller one but it would be nice to have the option for when the battery dies on the electric impact, which is why I am debating the larger compressor (wouldn't use it a lot of that type of work just when the battery died on the other impact and I needed to finish something in an emergency).

As far as the inverter goes I am going to do my research on it before buying it , I don't get anything from harbor freight without checking the reviews out or being able to physically inspect it myself.

Comment

i use HF for a lot of one-time use stuff and have had hit and miss success with their tools. i do think their floorjacks are a screaming deal but i try to stay away from their electronics like the inverters. just my 2 cents on an inverter i bought from advance auto on sale last year for about $100. it's a PEAK 1200W modified sine wave. 2 AC outlets and a USB. hardwire to battery. the really cool thing about this model was that there is a satellite head that can be plugged on to the main box and duplicates the 2 outlets, USB, and an ON/OFF. the head unit is only about 4x2x1 inches so it can be mounted in the glove box or console while the inverter itself stays in the trunk or wherever within 10' of the head. very convenient.

Comment

I don't typically buy anything but hand tools there (and tow lights, usually get them for about $15 when I get coupon) but don't typically buy anything else like this from them. This will be a first and a way to test their other products.

Comment

I bought nice 4500watter 4 years ago, $600. Used daily for construction/maintenance

Started with 4 batteries tied into inverter. Small relay to connect to Alternator and vehicle battery with ign is on so the 'inverter' pack will charge.. did that so I don't kill the one needed battery for the starter....

I'd rounded up other odds and ends from junking cars, now up to 8 batteries.

I keep getting batteries for free, so doesn't make sense to buy a 2nd noisy gas generator.

Anything for serious amp draw, I'll drag out the Miller diesel. She does ac/DC stick weld, plus generate 12/120vdc or 110/220 ac @ 20K Watt. It's heavy. Squats the ass on my dually.

Sent from my rooted HTC Supersonic using Tapatalk 2 Pro
                        Last edited by jason_; 02-06-2014, 08:58 AM.

Comment

These is some of my portable air tools (non impact) Notice how you take two male QD fittings and butt them against each other for filling tanks or lengthening a hose.And also note you can install a female QD directly on your tank.Last year my wife's Alt got soaked in oil and stranded her on the side of the road.One can of engine cleaner and a full tank of air got it cleaned up and dried out.I would like a Cordless Impact but I'm saving my money for a nice one (Snap-On perhaps). Then I can charge my "Back-UP" pack with the Cigar Lighter.My friend and fellow racer loves to build quality 12V "Pancake" Compressors. He powers them off a Marine Cell battery. He keeps refining them and has it down now.They are super quiet and discrete. Only draw back is the battery space and weight. But you can run it almost 8 hrs without any serious charge issues.... The problem I find with trying to run an Impact off air is they need a large volume to perform. Thats why I want a cordless for a mobile Impact.

Comment

I got the craftsman cordless impact while it was on sale Black Friday, I like it when it's charged it has done everything I needed it to with no problems. My only regret so far is not upgrading to lithium ion which I will do some day.

I have made a few of the double male connectors to quick fill my tanks before off of the big compressor (need to chain them to the compressor though because they always walk off, like chuck keys do). Have done a lot of work with air, been in a shop my entire life and went into business with dad at one point and had a mechanic and tire shop until the economy caught up with us (can only do so much when giving credit to people for parts and repairs). Plan to get back into business with dad but working on more of cars for myself to buy and sell (and let dad do side work on his between my stuff), and eventually get to do a little towing on the side. Part of why I am debating going to a slightly bigger one since my junkyard time and auction time (with unknown issues) would increase greatly.

Comment

Originally posted by nitrofarm View Post
                              problem I find with trying to run an Impact off air is they need a large volume to perform. Thats why I want a cordless for a mobile Impact
                              I have the same problem with our 1" impact.

Garage has small 1/2" line drops, and standard qds are small throat. To solve cheaply, when I use the 1", I used fat piece of hose 10ft long, doubles as QD step up in size and that turns into a small reservoir just before gun. Holding the trigger more then 1 second will show the capacity weakness, but if used in one second trigger squeeze, she'll spin off axle nuts without unstaking, 1st every time with a blip of the trigger. Rear spindles, same thing, spins right through cotter pin.

I've learned not to use it to tighten stuff.

One snap tight is too tight...

Sent from my rooted HTC Supersonic using Tapatalk 2 Pro

Comment

Working...
                              X