car condition

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• car condition

ive been wondering if you guys take these car on mountain roads? cause where i live im pretty much completely surrounded by them and i don't know if i can trust the engine in my car to get me up.
    so what i want is to know what you set your car against and the condition of the engine in it. mine is stock engine and stock transmission as far as i can tell.

Originally posted by dwhite View Post
    ive been wondering if you guys take these car on mountain roads? cause where i live im pretty much completely surrounded by them and i don't know if i can trust the engine in my car to get me up.
    so what i want is to know what you set your car against and the condition of the engine in it. mine is stock engine and stock transmission as far as i can tell.
    Well, your answer is, "it depends".....

How steep of an incline are the mountains you intend to drive on, how fast do you want/need to drive them and for how many miles?

How many miles on your Festiva? How hard has it been driven?

I don't live in mountainous terrain but I've been through/up/over them many times before and while you're not going to win any races in a stock Festy, it will get you where you want to go without having to flog it. I've got 188,000+ and 25 yrs on the original engine and never had to take the head off the block or do any major engine work yet.
    Last edited by Twistiva; 02-07-2014, 12:28 AM.
    88L - 'Twistiva' - 'The Fusion of Man and Machine'
    88LX - 'Laztiza' - Future Resurrection Project
    91L - 'Mistiva' - My Daughter's DD
    93L - 'Vextiva' - Airport Car

Comment

Never had any trouble with mine in the mountains. Other than the upset Mustangs I used to leave in the curves. I love driving mine in the Smokey Mountains between Cherokee,NC and Pigeon Forge ,TN. It's a blast
      Jerry
      Team Lightning

Owner of Team Lightning
      90 L "Peewee" B6D. Bought new May 16,1990
      92 L Thunder BP G5M-R Turbo B6T electronics. Jan 2016 FOTM winner SOLD
      93 L Lightning. BP

Not a user of drugs or alcohol, Just addicted to Festiva's

Comment

well the incline is different depending on routes one goes from 6% to a 10% the others is a firm 6% but i feel that is wrong and the last is a 18%.
        all i know about my festiva is that it has 164,000-+ 22 year old engine. it has been with salted roads and the engine has light rust but is being protected by oil sludge. its been owned by another teen and i have it and i know i drive it a little hard but i also do regular maintenance on this car and its in so much better condition then it was in a half a year ago. no major work on it just little stuff sparkplug, wire, rotor, fuel pump all the lil normal stuff that people take for granted.

Comment

As long as you have little or no rust on the underside you should be ok in the mountains. Have you looked at the bottom for rust? These cars are prone to have rust in the areas where the rear axle mounts to the body, if they have been in the north around the snow. The salt on the roads hurts the rear mount area from what I've heard on here. (I live in the North Georgia area.)
          Jerry
          Team Lightning

Owner of Team Lightning
          93 L Lightning. BP

Comment

most of it is rust free but i have rust on the drum breaks my e brake is useless with rust, and the fat bar the goes across( is splotches of light rust. i dont think ive look at the mounts themselves ill do that.

Comment

As long as the bottom of the body is good and it's running/braking good, I see no issues with driving it in the mountains.
              Jerry
              Team Lightning

Owner of Team Lightning
              93 L Lightning. BP

Comment

Originally posted by dwhite View Post
                most of it is rust free but i have rust on the drum breaks my e brake is useless with rust, and the fat bar the goes across( is splotches of light rust. i dont think ive look at the mounts themselves ill do that.
                I'd probably like to have an ebrake while driving in the mountains. You know..... just in case.
                -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                Nancy- 1.8L BP, aspire swap, g-trans
                The Adventures of Nancy! Build Thread
                -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My Musica! Click me!

Comment

I've only had one Festiva with an ebrake that worked (2 now counting ol blue) and it was never an issue. You get used to it. Oh, and I've done much off-roading with mine. Old gas well roads, 4wheeler trails, etc. They were all stock too.
                  Any difference that makes no difference is no difference.

Old Blue- New Tricks
                  91 Festiva FSM PDF - Dropbox

Comment

Just take it for a drive and see what happens, I bet you'll be happy with how your festiva does.... although stock engines don't have much power, you should still be able to climb mountains

1988 323 Station Wagon - KLG4 swapped
                    1988 323 GT - B6T Powered
                    2008 Ford Escape - Rollover Survivor

1990 Festiva - First Ever Completed KLZE swap (SOLD)

If no one from the future stops you from doing it, how bad of a decision can it really be?

Comment

from personal experience, my festiva with ATX trans is a MAJOR PIA on long uphill mountainous grades. you are constantly losing speed and when kicked down into 2nd and flooring the accelerator it's are redlining it at highway speeds. now my 5 spd festiva is like a totally different car. i've been able to maintain 80MPH uphill in 4th gear and floored through WV mountain interstates. the 1.6 should've been standard in an ATX car.

Comment

Didn't even click that he's talking about asphalt till now.

I drove ol blue without issue over mountainy interstate getting it home. It would fluctuate between 80 and 70 in 5th going up the hills. I didn't floor it, and it has low tread 155/80/13 tires on it.
                        Any difference that makes no difference is no difference.

Old Blue- New Tricks
                        91 Festiva FSM PDF - Dropbox

Comment

I have a 93GL with 240,000+ miles and I drive it though the Big Horn Mountains in Montana. Had up and over 9,000 feet. Don't think you'll find anything that high in TN, GA, NC, SC, or FL.
                          Chuck
                          Life's a beach, then you marry one---- Shakespeare
                          If money will fix it, it's not broken
                          91 GL -Ol' Rusty
                          93 GL - Lil Red
                          91 L - Tweetystiva
                          http://www.fuelly.com/car/ford/festi...tfordcat/54176
                          http://www.fuelly.com/car/ford/festi...tfordcat/54596

Comment

Took a stock B3 with 300,000 miles on it and half-decent compression over the Rocky Mountains from Victoria to Calgary in one day once. Had to shift down into second for some of the steepest grades. Otherwise, she did pretty well!
                            1988 Chevy Sprint Turbo 997cc

Comment

hey I enjoy driving mine through the Smokey Mountains too, really seems to out handle most cars on the rd I live in tn about 35 to 45 minutes from gatlinburg

Comment

Working...
                              X