Silly Eclipse - Strange Emotionlessness

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Silly Eclipse - Strange Emotionlessness

I'm in my mom's Yaris last night on the 4 lane, and this 2nd gen Eclipse I just passed up when we got on the 4 lane is jabbing me for the 4 miles of new road we have. I've just been ignoring it. There are other cars around us, and we're doing 70 already. But then the 2 other cars slow to turn off and the Eclipse boxes me in up to the lights. This didn't bother me at all. But I swerved right just behind his bumper to not slow down for the turners, he punches it a bit to get his speed back, and then pulls into the left lane to let me catch up I guess.

We only have probably a 1/4 mile left before another light and a 90 degree right turn I HAVE to make. He's going straight. Should be interesting. I should wuss out first. Not sure how fast we were going when I kicked it a bit to pass him. He had a car load or I would think he'd of had me held off. Last I looked I was in front by a good margin doing 115 downhill into that 90 I have to make when I started to brake. He also braked first. Down to 80, curve still coming up way too fast. Brake harder and harder. I remember hearing a chirp in there somewhere, but the ABS left me to my business for some reason. Should also mention this curve on top of being a 90 is banked against you, so it's hairy.

I don't know how fast I went through the curve. The tires made no noise, and it was stable, but it felt very fast (I've had the old Neon sedan sideways through it a couple times in the wet), and I got probably 1000ft down the road before I saw the Eclipse barrel through the green light in my rearview.

What's strange is that I didn't feel anything the whole time. My heart didn't race, I didn't get angry at the guy for boxing me in, or for jabbing at me when I didn't want to risk it, and coming up to the curve at 80 (way faster than I had ever been that far in) I still only was thinking. "Gotta brake more."

I guess I need to be a stunt driver or juggle knives or something. Or maybe a hitman. It's strange because other things do make me nervous and anxious. Just not random morbid danger.

Anybody else?
    Any difference that makes no difference is no difference.

Old Blue- New Tricks
    91 Festiva FSM PDF - Dropbox

I hear you, I sometimes don't know where I want to go eat lunch at and can't figure that out but in an emergency situation or stressful situation I seem to be calm and can make up my mind on what to do instantly. The day I out run the local police in my 79 malibu I was calm while doing it. I got excited about it later. that was one off the bucket list, lol.
    admit nothing - deny everything - make accusations

Comment

Cool. I saw an explanation of whatever it's called once. Something to do with the flight, fight, or freeze "mechanism?" in the brain. Some people freak out. Some shut down and can't do anything. Some just handle it without feeling much of anything. And I guess you can have a mix of them in the same person too.

I reacted the same when I picked up a whacko hitchhiker once and a few other times I can remember. While 180ing and rolling a van into a deep creek bed I only remember being annoyed that I couldn't do anything to make the machine do what I wanted it to. It comes in handy more than it gets in the way, I guess.

Old Blue- New Tricks

Comment

You two are not unique. Add me to the list of calm, cool and collected.
        Festiva: Because even my dog can build a Honda.
        ---------------------------------------------------------------------------

'90 L. B8ME/Kia Rio 5 speed. Rio/Aspire suspension swap. :-D
        '81 Mustang. Inline 6, Automatic.
        '95 Eagle Summit Wagon. 4G64 Powered.

Comment

Maybe car enthusiasts are prone to having that kind of brain.

Old Blue- New Tricks

Comment

Originally posted by sketchman View Post
            Maybe car enthusiasts are prone to having that kind of brain.
            Not just car enthusiasts, many people are like that. In stressful, intense situations time just seems to slow down for them. It's like they have all day to analyze events and form a plan of action.

At least that's how it is for me and some of my friends.
            Festiva: Because even my dog can build a Honda.
            ---------------------------------------------------------------------------

'90 L. B8ME/Kia Rio 5 speed. Rio/Aspire suspension swap. :-D
            '81 Mustang. Inline 6, Automatic.
            '95 Eagle Summit Wagon. 4G64 Powered.

Comment

Working...
            X