Differences in Thermostats

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Differences in Thermostats

During this past cold snap (high of 26 F), I found myself wanting more heat than my festy was putting out.
    using the ever handy "search" function, I found that the well versed festy guru's are recommending a two-stage thermostat as it came from the factory.
    someone on here also said that Autozone carries one(Duralast part #41492) for a 1993 Mazda Miata that is just what the doctor ordered for around 10 bucks.
    after tearing into mine, I found a generic 195 single stage....replaced that with the autozone unit.

Then I just got curious and pulled a few 'stats from engines I had laying around for Identification.

I can verify "B3H7" was factory installed in a 22,000 mile 1997 aspire that was a "parts virgin"....it is a SINGLE STAGE
    (also found exact same single stage in a very un-loved high miles 1994)

However, I am not quite sure about "E5D3 NT" 2 stage that I found in a 1992 E.GT BP at 40,000 miles, I'm ASSUMING its factory installed as well
    Lastly I found a two stage from a 1991 E.GT BP 157,000 miles, with ABSOLUTELY NO MARKINGS!! I'm thinking this one is a dealer replacement???? can anyone verify?

attached a few pics here to clarify : http://s885.photobucket.com/user/alabama1387/library/

Now im just waiting for the next batch of freezing weather to see if there's a difference.
    Darren Sehnke

The two stage thermostat will slow the flow of engine coolant slightly, since the holes are smaller. They are meant to maintain the coolant temperature within a narrower band. Although the two stage may provide a few degrees warmer temperature in winter, the single stage will be able to provide a few degrees cooler in summer. Let us know your findings.
    A good analogy to this principle of operation is that of a digital valve.
    Last edited by bravekozak; 02-08-2014, 12:07 AM.

Comment

I just picked up a 2 stage t stat from autozone tonight for my car I have a b6d but the stock b3 had a 2 stage in it.
      but only the big one would open in a boil test.
      I don't know how much this will help my heat or lack of it but I figured its cheap and worth a shot. I'll post my experience also.
      Much colder here so ill get to use it right after installation .

Comment

You have a defective thermostat. The sub-valve should open (182°-188°F) before the main valve (188°-193°F). Both valves should be fully open at boiling (212°F).
        Last edited by bravekozak; 02-08-2014, 12:17 AM.

Comment

Working...
        X