Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 94 Ford Ranger Confused Trans, Brake or Diff Problem

94 Ranger 4x4 with 4.0L Eng. Auto Trans and Open Differential

I have spoken with two general mechanics and one transmission guy but no one seems to be able to diagnose the problem. So here are the details as concise as I can be. If you have suggestions please feel free to share.

Will drive in OD shifting very well but seems to have a drag to it (no noise at all but feels like someone has a rope tied to the back bumper). Doesn't want to move forward in D, 2 or 1, will back up but only with lots of excelerator. Rolls fine both ways in Neutral. When in 4x4 it doesn't want to move at all either way. Transmission fluid is full, red and clean with no burnt smell.

When I first noticed the problem I noticed a dragging noise on driver side rear brake. After pulling drums I noticed corrosion on hard line over axel and possible dragging e-brake. I replaced line, put new wheel cylinders on both sides, cleaned parts, adjusted shoes/e-brake and rebuilt everything. Same symptoms exist but no more noise from brakes. There is NO grinding, squealing or metal on metal sounds. No scrapping, rattling or shaking.

This all started after my daughter got the truck stuck in gravel and panicked. She spun the wheels in reverse for who knows how long before finally calling for help. When she panicked she forgot she had 4WD which would have solved the problem. Regardless an inexperienced teen driver. I have no idea if she caused a problem or revealed a problem.

Has anyone had this issue OR have solid idea on what could be wrong? Thank you
    '93 Festiva GL / "HOT ROD"
    '02 F-150 Supercrew
    '02 Excursion 4x4
    '98 Jeep Cherokee Classic Limited
Working...
X