Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Glad I have snow tires this winter! And last winter, too!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Glad I have snow tires this winter! And last winter, too!

AquaMutt's been on the road since March of 2011; almost three years now. Her first winter, I had bought General Altimax Arctic snow tires in 175/70-13 and put them on my VW alloys to replace the used all seasons (in the same size) I had been running through fall. Well, it didn't snow much Aqua's first winter.

However, last winter and this winter have shown me how much real snow tires can make a difference, especially if you park in a back yard with no paved driveway, and have to travel through an unplowed alley before hitting the neighborhood streets--which might also be unplowed! In fact, last winter I had been lazy in switching from my 175/60-13 Falkens (all seasons) to snows, and one night I couldn't get out of my back yard. So there I was, changing only my two front tires to snows just to get to work! (The next day I put on the rear snows.)

At work, a guy with a 2012 Civic with all seasons couldn't get out of his parking spot without my help pushing. His all seasons just spun and looked like they were slick treads. No bite at all! Either their design sucked or the edges had worn too much to work.

One reason I like my cheap car is that I can often afford the best parts to put on it. Besides my extra set of snow tires, I also bought an Optima red top with 720 CCA to replace my three year old (bought it new when I put Aqua on the road) regular battery with only 540 CCA. It was doing okay, but I didn't want to take any chances. Meanwhile, those with newer cars who are barely keeping up with payments can't readily afford to have an extra set of wheels and snows.

I'm not poor, but I'm certainly not rich either. However, my "economic philosophy" of keeping home and car costs down by going used and fixing things myself, is paying off and confirming my "money method." Now if I could just maximize my "money method" by not wasting in other areas! Things like food going bad because I leave it out instead of remembering to put it in the fridge, or forgetting to send in rebate slips, etc.

If I had to be making $350 per month car payments, I don't see how I could get by without going on too much credit, and we know where that leads!

In most winters during my "driving life" (16 years old and up), all season tires were usually good enough, but there have been some that require either good, unworn all seasons to "get by," or snows to "drive without worry." I like the latter situation! Having less than $2K in my DD, including two sets of wheels and tires, makes this possible.

After thinking about it, I have to add:

FordFestiva.Com has also made this possible. Without all your help and inspiration, there's no way I'd be planning on "Festiva preservation" and driving them into the dirt for as many years as I can. So thanks everyone, those who help, those who ask questions, and those who come to the meets and contribute in every way.

Karl
    Last edited by Safety Guy; 02-08-2014, 04:31 PM.
    '93GL "Prettystiva" ticking B3 and 5 speed, backup DD; full swaps in spring!
    '91L "AquaMutt" my '91L; B6 swap/5 speed & Aspire brakes, DD/work car
    '92L "Twinstiva" 5sp, salvage titled, waiting for repairs...
    '93GL "Luxstiva," '94 B6 engine & ATX; needs overhauled
    '89L "Muttstiva," now a storage bin, future trailer project

Well-spoken, sir.
    White '92 GL 5-speed BP, G series, Aspire/Rio swapped, "Nancy"
    White '89 LX 5-speed, Aspire swapped, Weber carb
    1988 LX 5-speed
    ​​​1993 L 5-speed B8, E series, Aspire/Rio swapped

Gone:

1986 Chevrolet Sprint 1990 L Plus Auto

Comment

x2
      90 festy with 92 FI motor. Digital camo paint. BHAF. short throw. currently 47 MPGs

Comment

:tongue3::tongue3:I'm glad I don't need snow tires.:razz:
        admit nothing - deny everything - make accusations

Comment

I'm glad I put them on both my cars... the Subaru is amazing in the deep stuff. Its fun pulling people out of the ditch too.
          91GL BP/F3A with boost
          13.79 @ 100, 2.2 60' on 8 psi and 155R12's

Comment

I'm still on the falken all seasons they do ok but the prelli carving edge snows I wore out last year are great.
            I still have 2 brand new carving edges left I only ran the fronts last year.
            I need to get some Extra wheels and mount em up.

Comment

I bought a set of dedicated snow tires and never mounted them. I use the truck ( 4 x 4 ) on snow days. It keeps the salt off of the festies and hopefully prolongs their lives. I got 13" snow tires thinking I would gain a little ground clearance in deep snow.

Last edited by freshtiva; 02-08-2014, 05:57 PM.
              sigpic
              The Don - Midwest Festiva Inc., Missouri Chapter

Link to my festiva pictures below
              https://fordfestiva.com/forums/album.php?albumid=10
              Celebrating 25 years of festiva(s) ownership.

Comment

We're getting so much snow, it's getting tough....

Xfercase locked and low range, (1:2.72), posi diff front and back, 4.10s, chains on all 4 16" tires, poor 350 small block still grunts and works busting new tracks through 3ft....

And I found out the hard way you can get really stuck fast with only a few tire rotations. Digs holes in ice do the point she won't walk out.

Sent from my rooted HTC Supersonic using Tapatalk 2 Pro
                Last edited by jason_; 02-08-2014, 06:05 PM.

Comment

Haven't used snow tires. Once drove a Festiva from Danville to Lexington Kentucky on icy roads. Just drove sensible. Felt safe and secure.

Comment

All season vs dedicated snow tires video

sigpic
                    The Don - Midwest Festiva Inc., Missouri Chapter

Link to my festiva pictures below
                    https://fordfestiva.com/forums/album.php?albumid=10
                    Celebrating 25 years of festiva(s) ownership.

Comment

I'm glad I bought the Winterforce tires a few years ago, mounted on dedicated rims. They've come in rather handy with the road conditions of this season. These are installed on my '93 5 speed "Fesplicity" out of town car.

However, I am rather impressed with the tires I got from Walmart a couple years ago. Douglas Xtra Trac II that have a nice block type tread. http://www.walmart.com/ip/Douglas-Xt...3-79S/16913812
                      Those are installed on my '89 automatic "in town" car.

So far this winter I haven't gotten stuck with either car. Came close a couple of times, but the Festys seem to walk right out after a couple of rocks back and forth.

Comment

I hear that Karl!! If it wasn't for the good people on here just like yourself I would still be stuck in the stone ages trying to make ends meet bouncing from junk car to junk car. At least this way I keep the same junk $350 cars and drive them till the tires wear off fall off and the car falls apart(latter hasn't happened yet) then stick it back together for less than a single months car+insurance payment and run for another year! Funny thing is these cars get as good or better milage than a lot of the newer cars and the ride is just as good! Festys for the win! The tires really make the biggest difference in handling from season to season. I'm just glad I found this site and met good guys like you Bryant jake rob and the NC crew that makes it possible for me to get the stuff I need! It would be next to impossible to get all the random parts from local junk yards and auto parts stores to maintain my cars by myself.
                        2008 Kia Rio- new beater
                        1987 F-150- revived and CLEAN!!!
                        1987 Suzuki Dual Sport- fun beater bike
                        1993 Festiva- Fiona, DD
                        1997 Aspire- Peaspire, Refurb'd, sold
                        1997 Aspire- Babyspire, DD
                        1994 Aspire - Project Kiazord
                        1994 Aspire- Crustyspire, RIP

"If it moves, grease it, if it don't, paint it, and if it ain't broke don't fix it!"

Comment

Wouldn't go without winter tires. Unless you've driven your vehicle both with and without them I don't think you can truly appreciate the difference they make. I have winters on rims for the Festival and our van and change them over myself... takes 30-45 minutes per vehicle to do the switch.

Sent from somewhere west of here via Tapatalk!
                          Ian
                          Calgary AB, Canada
                          93 L B6T: June 2016 FOTM
                          59 Austin Healey "Bugeye" Sprite

"It's infinitely better to fail with courage than to sit idle with fear...." Chip Gaines (pg 167 of Capital Gaines, Smart Things I Learned Doing Stupid Stuff)

Link to the "Road Trip Starting Points" page of my Econobox Café blog

Comment

Used to have a brand-new 87 Tercel 4WD wagon with the carbed 1.5 motor and a manual tranny. Bought it in WashDC in the fall of 86. The tranny had a granny gear in it, a lower ratio than the normal 1st. I put snow tires on it when I got it, knowing that in nine months I would be in Romania for a couple of years with this car. We had really big snows that winter, just a couple of days apart. I would go around pushing full-size cars up hills with that granny gear and snow tires!
                            90 Festy (Larry)--B6M (Matt D. modified B6 head), header, 5-speed, Capri XR2 front brakes, many other little mods
                            09 Kia Rondo--a Festy on steroids!

You can avoid reality, but you can't avoid the consequences of avoiding reality--Ayn Rand

Disaster preparedness

Tragedy and Hope.....Infowars.com.....The Drudge Report.....Founding Fathers.info

Think for yourself.....question all authority.....re-evaluate everything you think you know. Red-pill yourself!

Comment

Since we're talking on road and not off road, real snow grips give this option....

Sent from my rooted HTC Supersonic using Tapatalk 2 Pro

Comment

Working...
                              X