Hello new guy here

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hello new guy here

Hello guys im new to the forum, well not so much new just have not posted yet. Ive been looking on and off for a Festiva for a couple years now. Finally got serious about buying one and they seem to be extremely hard to find (Kansas City area).

So I knew a guy that had one and he drove it for years after his dad drove it for years. He never wanted to sell it because of some sentimental value but upon asking him today he decided it was time to sell so i went and looked at it. Its rough. Very rough. Was lightly rear ended at some point and has some damage and has had an oil leak for i think about 170,000 of its 175,000 miles. Never seen an engine bay so greasy. But anyway he wasnt home so i didnt get to try and start it. It is fuel injected with the 5spd. He also told me it had been sitting for some time. I looked it over and it appears to honestly be pretty solid as far as rust goes but i can tell it needs a lot of fixing before taking on any long trips. I think I can get it for <$300. I did a large pricing of parts through rock auto and came up with around $750-$850 worth of parts to make it trip ready assuming the engine is solid on the bottom end. That includes all new brakes, struts, control arms, timing belt, waterpump, clutch, etc. Basically redoing most of the chassis so that its a solid car. I dont mind the fact that it looks like a huge pos, i actually find it oddly charming.

I plan on taking a long road trip out west as ive never been west of Denver and never got to even go out of the city while i was there. The plan is to go explore the west and take an oldschool no facebook no cellphone no hotel rooms kinda roadtrip. I plan on camping and taking in the sights along the way. Ive been weighing my options for cars to take the trip in and for some reason a Festiva seems to be the only car i really want to. Im tall (6'3) but have plenty of room, they seem simple enough to repair on the roadside without much to break in the first place. They also seem to be able to pull great mileage which is crucial on taking long trips. The trip im planning is about 5600-6000 miles and goes from KC to Houston to Phoenix to Vegas to L.A. to Frisco to Portland to Seattle to SLC to Denver.

Just figured I would introduce myself and see what you all had to say and im sure listen to everyone call me crazy but its all good, after all its just the internet.

No crazier than the rest of us!

Welcome to the madness. Sounds like you're on the road to a good little car - a little TLC and you can have that thing running for years!
    ~Nate

the keeper of a wonderful lil car, Skeeter.

Current cars:
    91L "Skeeter" 170k, Aspire brakes, G15, BP, Advancedynamics coil overs, etc. My first love.
    1990 Kawasaki Ninja 250 - my gas saver, 60+mpg - 40k
    2004 MotoGuzzi Breva - my "longer range" bike - 17k

FOTY 2008 winner!

Comment

Take lots of pics!!!!
      -Rafe-

Things I have for sale.
      Random Festiva Parts
      Festiva Non-Swoopy Power Drivers Mirror

Comment

Its real rough, but i figure if i can get it for free up to $300 i can dump some money into it and fix everything and do some preventative. My budget was $1000-$1200 to buy one but who knows what it would need when i got it so i figure its probably no worse in all reality. The cars that are in this area were bought by rural people and used as commuters to town until they got old then turned into ATVs so they are hard to find.

Comment

Welcome! They seem to be hard to find west of the Mississippi, the guys east of here seem to hoard them!!! First thing I'd do is take it to the car wash with some jack stands and a floor jack and old clothes and wash the crap out from under the hood and under the car, you'll thank me later.

Likely it needs front seals and a valve cover gasket. And if it leaks a lot of oil, a timing belt and alternator belt. Replace the tensioner and water pump while you're there. Tie rod end boots are probably shot as well as R&P boots. If the R&P doesn't have a lot of play in the rack itself, the inner and outer tie rods aren't too hard to replace. The bushings at the swaybar ends as well as the middle swaybar mounts need to be inspected. Change the tranny fluid as well. Struts, control arms and clutch might be able to wait. Brakes and rear wheel bearings repacked/replaced would be good.
          1963 Fairlane - future NSS drag car
          1965 Mustang Coupe - A-code car, restoring for/with my son
          1973 F100 longbed - only 22k original miles, 360/auto, disk, PS/PB dealer in dash A/C
          1996 Sonoma X-cab - son's DD
          2002 Grand Prix - daughter's DD
          2003 Sport Trac - 180k, 130k on replaced motor with new timing chains - F/S soon.
          2005 Accord - wife's DD
          2008 Mountaineer - step daughter's DD
          2015 F150 SCrew - DD

Comment

Welcome! Don't forget about the Westiva rally in July. If you hit WA at the right time you're welcome to caravan up with us.

Comment

They make great journey cars. I've lived in mine for weeks crossing the country twice. If you remove all but the drivers seat, store your things in totes where the passenger seat goes, line the back floor with Styrofoam insulation board and carpet, the festiva becomes very comfortable to sleep in. Way better than a tent! I've thought about taking one to south America like this.
              Driving for me is neither a right nor a privilege. Driving is my passion, as it was for the people who invented the automobile, the people who paved the first roads and the people who continue to improve the automobile. Please respect this passion.

Comment

Panamerican highway would be quite the adventure!

I got some KC lights for the front too

Comment

welcome.gif
                  Please add your location to your profile.
                  I am holding my breath until I see pictures of your car.

Comment

Its not mine yet! Gonna see if i can get it started tomorrow

Comment

Stories like this give me the good kind of chills. There is something to be said for getting excited about something simple. I love it man !!!
                      -Bryant

Comment

Yeah ive decided that if it starts then im buying it. Ill toss a couple gallons of fresh gas in the tank, maybe some octane booster to freshen up any gas that may be in the tank already, then hook up some jumper cables and see if she will fire. Its been sitting for a year or so.

Also another possibly stupid question but I remember looking at a website for festiva performance parts awhile back and now it seems to be gone. Is it gone for good or just down?

Comment

If you are talking about Festiva motorsports, they are out of business.
                          Jerry
                          Team Lightning

Owner of Team Lightning
                          90 L "Peewee" B6D. Bought new May 16,1990
                          92 L Thunder BP G5M-R Turbo B6T electronics. Jan 2016 FOTM winner SOLD
                          93 L Lightning. BP

Not a user of drugs or alcohol, Just addicted to Festiva's

Comment

Welcome to the forum falkenfighter. As bolokid mentioned consider coming up to my neck of the woods for Westiva. Here's the link for some information. My family and I took a road trip similar in length to what you've mentioned. If you follow the link in my signature you'll find our blog about the trip, and more.
                            Ian
                            Calgary AB, Canada
                            93 L B6T: June 2016 FOTM
                            59 Austin Healey "Bugeye" Sprite

"It's infinitely better to fail with courage than to sit idle with fear...." Chip Gaines (pg 167 of Capital Gaines, Smart Things I Learned Doing Stupid Stuff)

Link to the "Road Trip Starting Points" page of my Econobox Café blog

Comment

Thats too bad about festiva motorsports.

This car has injection but i honestly kinda wish it had the old carb

Comment

Working...
                              X