Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Need help getting my Festiva running again.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need help getting my Festiva running again.

I have a 1989 Festiva that my "mechanic" is having trouble with. On January 3, 2014 I was going home and heard a pop, the car died and would not start. The mechanic said it was the distributor and I believe he finally found one and the car starts now, the problem now is that once it gets warm, it does not want to idle and dies. Anyone know why?? If you have any suggests, please email me or call Brian at Levander's at 308-384-3747 or 308-385-4913. Thank you

Does it rev ok except for idle? Might check the egr valve, when they stick they will typically run fine but won't idle properly and die.

Comment

Welcome! Glad to see you joined and posted. Add your location to your profile, maybe someone is close to help

Comment

1) Ignition Timing is probably off. Mark the notches with a white painter pen for convenience.
        2) Fuel filter could be on it's way out. Pinch the return hose and see if it helps the car idle.
        3) Vacuum leak is likely somewhere. Check every single clamp and replace with high tension zip ties or Home Depot plumbing clamps where needed.
        4) Finally, take off the idle air control valve and spray some medium strength solvent through it before blasting it with compressed air. It could be clogged up with gunk.
        1988 Chevy Sprint Turbo 997cc

Comment

Originally posted by cccanna View Post
          I have a 1989 Festiva that my "mechanic" is having trouble with. On January 3, 2014 I was going home and heard a pop, the car died and would not start. The mechanic said it was the distributor and I believe he finally found one and the car starts now, the problem now is that once it gets warm, it does not want to idle and dies. Anyone know why?? If you have any suggests, please email me or call Brian at Levander's at 308-384-3747 or 308-385-4913. Thank you
          Welcome.

1) Being it's an '89 is it carbed or fuel injected??

2) As suggested, please add your location as someone may be close enough to lend a hand.

Comment

Working...
          X