Clear All

• New 12" Tires: What to buy?

Need 'em ASAP.

Any opinions?

88L - 'Twistiva' - 'The Fusion of Man and Machine'
    88LX - 'Laztiza' - Future Resurrection Project
    91L - 'Mistiva' - My Daughter's DD
    93L - 'Vextiva' - Airport Car

Not to be "that guy", but I would really push you to consider checking out craigslist for compatible 13" wheels that will fit. I always am coming across sets of tires with good tread for around 100 - 150$. Way easier to find these days than 12".

(This is assuming you are needing them for a Festiva...)
    - Form should follow function...

Comment

Of the 3 you listed, I'd go with the Federals. I'm not familiar with the Nankangs.
      Jerry
      Team Lightning

Owner of Team Lightning
      90 L "Peewee" B6D. Bought new May 16,1990
      92 L Thunder BP G5M-R Turbo B6T electronics. Jan 2016 FOTM winner SOLD
      93 L Lightning. BP

Not a user of drugs or alcohol, Just addicted to Festiva's

Comment

Originally posted by SiliconSoul View Post
        Not to be "that guy", but I would really push you to consider checking out craigslist for compatible 13" wheels that will fit. I always am coming across sets of tires with good tread for around 100 - 150$. Way easier to find these days than 12".

(This is assuming you are needing them for a Festiva...)
        SilconSoul -

No worries about recommending the 13s. I'm actually going to 15s on both my Festivas. Bought the wheels for both and tires for one. The problem is the non-driving Festiva is, as of now, non-driveable and the one that is my DD will need the Aspire swap to fit the wheels. Gashed a tire late last night on my DD so I'm gonna bite the bullet and buy a set of 12s to see my through until I have time for the swap. Thx for the info.

Originally posted by Team Lightning View Post
        Of the 3 you listed, I'd go with the Federals. I'm not familiar with the Nankangs.
        Bandit -

Thx for your recommendation. And I'm sorry about my lazy post above. Had to rush out of here to get to the gym before it closed. What I really meant to ask is, does anyone here have any experience with any of these 3 tires? Those 3 are all eBay seems to show in 12". I've got the "Cordovan Classic Radials" on my fronts right now and they are shot...didn't seem to last too long, but then again my front end was out of alignment horribly (curb strike) until about a year ago.

Any one else care to comment?

Comment

Just an example... no idea if that is close to you or not...
          - Form should follow function...

Comment

The best 12's I ever had on my 90 was the Yokohama's that came from the factory on it. I did find them one other time before they stopped making them They lasted longer than any other 12's I was able to get.
            Jerry
            Team Lightning

Owner of Team Lightning
            90 L "Peewee" B6D. Bought new May 16,1990
            92 L Thunder BP G5M-R Turbo B6T electronics. Jan 2016 FOTM winner SOLD
            93 L Lightning. BP

Not a user of drugs or alcohol, Just addicted to Festiva's

Comment

Originally posted by Team Lightning View Post
              The best 12's I ever had on my 90 was the Yokohama's that came from the factory on it. I did find them one other time before they stopped making them They lasted longer than any other 12's I was able to get.
              I have Yokohama's on mine too. Just got them 3 weeks ago, 145 R12 ..... I might try the 165's too. I got them on www.tireeasy.com:
              1993 Ford Festiva L blue 170,000 miles
              1990 Ford Festiva L Plus white 190,000 Auto, currently waiting to have another engine put in.
              1995 Ford F150 XLT black 203,000 miles
              2002 Honda CRV silver 180,000 miles
              2003 Toyota Rav4 Sport black 94,000 miles
              2008 Sym Rv250 dark grey 30,000 miles. My scooter.
              1989 Ford Festiva LX black 233,000 miles. Sold to my better half's son.

Mike

Comment

Kumho PowerStars were decent little 12s, I have the current version in 13s on Green Car, Kumho Solus. They don't make the 12 anymore. I agree with Jerry, out of the list you posted I'd probably go with the Federal as well.
                No festiva for me ATM...

Comment

Originally posted by muleskinner View Post
                  I have Yokohama's on mine too. Just got them 3 weeks ago, 145 R12 ..... I might try the 165's too. I got them on www.tireeasy.com:
                  Originally posted by htchbck View Post
                  Kumho PowerStars were decent little 12s, I have the current version in 13s on Green Car, Kumho Solus. They don't make the 12 anymore. I agree with Jerry, out of the list you posted I'd probably go with the Federal as well.
                  Just bought the Federals this morning on e-Bay. Brand new set (4) for about $203, which included free shipping. Didn't even think of checking for the Yokahama's since the only ones that came up on
                  e-Bay were the three I mentioned above. Oh, well....hope the Federals are a decent tire. I did call the tire shop I use in town and asked them when I bought the "Classic 155R12" I posted in the link above. They told me I bought them October 2009 and they are shot, utterly wasted. Even with a bad front end (fixed one year ago) I would have expected the "Classics" to last longer so I'm glad I didn't go with those again.

I appreciate everyone's advice! :thumbup:
                  Last edited by Twistiva; 02-28-2014, 02:13 PM.

Comment

Working...
                  X