trans fluid question? ... prob sounds like a dumb one

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• trans fluid question? ... prob sounds like a dumb one

my bp has a g series on it and I ran atx in it but for some stupid reason the book on it calls for gear oil ?!?!?!?!? im suppost to put atx in there..... rite?
    -90 festiva - bp swap "relentless" (thanks matt) aspire swap, pacesetter, underdrive pulley
    -90 festiva - surf blue (undetermined destiny) wanna keep but wifey says noooooooo

This is kinda like "which oil is the best?" IMO. Ford spec'ed ATX fluid in MTXs for a while. The mtx75 (Focus manual trans) does not call for ATF. Ford has a "special" fluid for it that is not ATF. One source says it's closer to 15w-40. I have my opinion why Ford would do that all of a sudden instead of just staying with ATF. But, again, it's like butt holes.

I would use the gear oil instead of ATF, or even some high mileage motor oil. Synthetic even. I mean how often do you change the stuff anyway.

Oh, I use Mobil One Euro spec for my manuals.

Here's a good read. Read all the way through it. The good stuff starts on page 2.
    Last edited by sketchman; 03-20-2014, 12:35 PM.
    Any difference that makes no difference is no difference.

Old Blue- New Tricks
    91 Festiva FSM PDF - Dropbox

Comment

I'd just go to ford dealership and get it from them they'll look it up by the car just give them the car the tranny came out of and they'll sell you the right stuff most likely ford mercon 4

Comment

the fookin book calls for like some crazy like 70 weight gear oil? I knew it took atx dex3 because matt (resuwrected)t and so did arty told me many times everytime I filled a trans ive asked them but my friend who likes to play everything by the book started questioning it that's the only reason I asked. I put atx in there and bit my thumb at him because I trust you guys more than the book :p
        -90 festiva - bp swap "relentless" (thanks matt) aspire swap, pacesetter, underdrive pulley
        -90 festiva - surf blue (undetermined destiny) wanna keep but wifey says noooooooo

Comment

Basically the general things I hear with the G series is.... NA = ATF.... Boosted = gear oil..... But like mentioned above, it's a preference thing

Personally I run ATF, even when I had the turbo under the hood I ran ATF

1988 323 Station Wagon - KLG4 swapped
          1988 323 GT - B6T Powered
          2008 Ford Escape - Rollover Survivor

1990 Festiva - First Ever Completed KLZE swap (SOLD)

If no one from the future stops you from doing it, how bad of a decision can it really be?

Comment

^ good to have that confirmed by the mad scientist

Comment

:lol: is that my new nickname? Mad scientist lol

1988 323 Station Wagon - KLG4 swapped
              1988 323 GT - B6T Powered
              2008 Ford Escape - Rollover Survivor

1990 Festiva - First Ever Completed KLZE swap (SOLD)

If no one from the future stops you from doing it, how bad of a decision can it really be?

Comment

Also note gear oil is spec'ed differently than engine oil. So 15w-40 is close to 75w-90 gear oil. Weird, I know. Point is while the numbers make it look nuts to use compared to how thin ATF is it's not THAT big a difference. But for instance my 0w-40 Mobile1 will make a big difference when it's cold and I'm shifting through warmup going to work or coming home. And it should last a long time being synthetic. I'll probably never change it again.

Old Blue- New Tricks

Comment

I took my car into a cheap mechanic, he put in Automatic transmission fluid (ATF) into my car, it literally after only a thousand kms broke on me, i took it to ford and they found the fluid was incorect, and it was driping from the sump on the car not being tight enough

Long story short tho, a, cheak your sump, and b use the best stuff no matter what, helps keep the engine healthy for longer
                  Owner of NZ's Lowest Aspire (festiva in nz)

Comment

He put ATF in your engine? :shock:

Old Blue- New Tricks

Comment

I've run ATF in the oil to help clean things up. Just a quart though.
                      91GL BP/F3A with boost
                      13.79 @ 100, 2.2 60' on 8 psi and 155R12's

Comment

Oh yeah, I can see that. Sounds like he took it in for a change and the "mechanic" filled it with ATF. That's weird.

Old Blue- New Tricks

Comment

the gearbox oil haha, not the engine oil.
                          Owner of NZ's Lowest Aspire (festiva in nz)

Comment

Working...
                          X