Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OEM Parts Game

What a croc!

So I call a Ford dealer that has access to various warehouses around the U.S. I'm told $10 for each part (which are identical) plus $10 for shipping from each of the 2 locations. That's $50 total.

Then I call the Ford dealer in my town and I'm told $4.92 for each of the 3 identical parts plus whatever shipping will be (and the shipping would be from the same Ford dealer I called above.....so I'm expecting $20 in shipping. So.....I'm thinking I at least will save $5.08 on each part for a total savings of $15.24.

Then I get a call back from the 2nd Ford dealer (in my town) and they say the nation-wide Ford warehouse parts place said they now want $60 for all 3 parts......$10 for each part plus $30 for shipping. I tell my Ford dealer in my town thanks but no thanks, I'll at least save the $10 extra in mystery shipping charges and go call the first place direct a second time.

So I call the first place back prepared to bite the bullet and fork over the $50 and a different parts guy answers and says the 3 parts are now $5 each plus shipping. :bc: <---for the confusion

These are the SAME parts from the SAME Ford dealershiop! You'd think they'd be grateful to get rid of 20-25 yr old parts but nooooooooo.........

All of this occured in about a 45 minute time span.

What. A. Screw. Job. :gritteeth:
    Last edited by Twistiva; 03-20-2014, 05:18 PM.
    88L - 'Twistiva' - 'The Fusion of Man and Machine'
    88LX - 'Laztiza' - Future Resurrection Project
    91L - 'Mistiva' - My Daughter's DD
    93L - 'Vextiva' - Airport Car

Gotta love that game. Every. Dang. Time.

Just TRY getting friction modified syncromesh from a GM dealer.

GAG
    Buck.
    -1993 Ford Festiva GL, ~200k, B6, Aspire rear, Rio front, 5-speed. '87 Prelude alloys. Happy to be back on the route!!!
    -1999 Toyota Sienna XLE, 346,000
    -1996 Chevrolet K1500 Z71, 350 V8, 198k, hauler

Comment

Twist, I have seen markups on Ford production parts (about 2 years old) with 1200% markup by Ford Service. Welcome to the club. Whatever traffic will bear.

Comment

supply and demand you want it so they jack it up and supply it to you

Comment

So that's how Ford managed to not get caught up in the bail out
          -Rafe-

Things I have for sale.
          Random Festiva Parts
          Festiva Non-Swoopy Power Drivers Mirror

Comment

Ford has an alpha numeric part numbering system which consists of a prefix, base and suffix. The prefix contains the vehicle model, decade and year, the base is part specific, the suffix is strictly for the engineering change level and/or color. It is very easy to order the wrong part number or confuse zeros with Os. Ford has always had a reputation of marking up their service part margins way before the bailout. This is the way Henry Ford designed his prices. Henry Ford died in his home with no power, in the cold. The river froze solid that winter in Detroit.

Comment

In 45 minutes, the exact same 3 parts went from $50.00, to $34.76, to $60.00, to $35.00 with the 1st, 3rd and 4th quotes all coming from the SAME parts dealer.

That isn't "supply and demand", that is "some guy pulling prices out of his rear end" and trying to take advantage of a customer simply because he can. Both the prices of the parts AND the shipping charges changed. What the frick? Luckily somebody else answered the phone the second time I called. Hopefully he doesn't talk to the &*!#$!(*%!!! first guy!

I've bought Festiva parts from this outlet (Bob Allen Ford) several times times before and they've always marked up stuff before (want an OEM Festiva radio with a tape deck for $400?....they've got it......) but never has the price of the part or the shipping changed. Again I say,"What a croc!"

(And, no, I didn't buy the tape deck.)
              Last edited by Twistiva; 03-20-2014, 08:40 PM.
              88L - 'Twistiva' - 'The Fusion of Man and Machine'
              88LX - 'Laztiza' - Future Resurrection Project
              91L - 'Mistiva' - My Daughter's DD
              93L - 'Vextiva' - Airport Car

Comment

ya i've dealt with ROB allen, collectors auto supply, parts international. these places pop up frequently as a source for a 20 yr+ old obsolete part and they seem to think their OEM festiva parts should sell at the same markup as an OEM Hemi Cuda part. i remember one of the above goons had a manual festiva seat belt listed for around $400 as i recall!! i always hope the part i'm looking for is available from Green Sales. at least their prices are usually always below what Ford wanted retail when the dealer parts were still available. plus they seem to have the most of obsolete Ford parts.

Comment

Working...
                X