JY find

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• JY find

I decided to hit up my fave JY (Taylor's) to look for a driver door for Matthew, rather than half-assed repair the rust on that door. I wasn't too hopeful tho, because I specifically wanted a white rust-free door. Festys are becomeing scarcer in the yards and we salt the roads here in the winter.

So the only Festy there was a white 92 GL auto. Rust-free! With 74K miles!!! Probably a granny car, since that only comes to about 2300 miles/year. And it was obviously never driven in snow, or maybe even rain! This must be what an AZ car is like. Auto, A/C, rear wiper & washer. It had been there exactly one month, and hadn't been touched.

I started pulling fasteners for various things, and they came off like the car was built last week. The 14mm lower rear strut bolts came out with my wrench, very easily. The struts were shot, probably the originals. Everything under the car is rust-free. I grabbed the door, a 13" Metro wheel/tire, a perfect parking brake cable, some brake lines, the center dash bezel, and lots of useful fasteners and switches, for $75. Didn't take the door cards because they are tan. Tmw I'm going back for the rear beam with brakes ($50), springs, and maybe the hatch/rear washer reservoir ($50).

I'm thinking it was there because the owners either traded it in for a new car and the dealership junked it, or the owners just didn't want to spend a bunch of bux on suspension and steering stuff, which it needed. They were probably not mechanically inclined and were quoted a lot of money for repairs. What a pity, but at least some of it will live on!

Edit: it had a broken windshield too.
    Last edited by TominMO; 03-20-2014, 09:26 PM.
    90 Festy (Larry)--B6M (Matt D. modified B6 head), header, 5-speed, Capri XR2 front brakes, many other little mods
    09 Kia Rondo--a Festy on steroids!

You can avoid reality, but you can't avoid the consequences of avoiding reality--Ayn Rand

Disaster preparedness

Tragedy and Hope.....Infowars.com.....The Drudge Report.....Founding Fathers.info

Think for yourself.....question all authority.....re-evaluate everything you think you know. Red-pill yourself!

Makes you feel awful when you find one of those, doesn't it? Congrats on getting those rust-free parts.
    White '92 GL 5-speed BP, G series, Aspire/Rio swapped, "Nancy"
    White '89 LX 5-speed, Aspire swapped, Weber carb
    1988 LX 5-speed
    ​​​1993 L 5-speed B8, E series, Aspire/Rio swapped

Gone:

1986 Chevrolet Sprint 1990 L Plus Auto

Comment

What's the hood, seats, front hubs, and head lights look like.
      Could use the ALT and distributor!
      Is the windshield in tact.
      You pulling the AC?
      '93 Blue 5spd 230K(down for clutch and overall maintanence)
      '93 White B6 swap thanks to Skeeters Keeper
      '92 Aqua parts Car
      '93 Turquoise 5spd 137K
      '90 White LX Thanks to FB71

"Your God of repentance will not save you.
      Your holy ghost will not save you.
      Your God plutonium will not save you.
      In fact...
      ...You will not be saved!"

Prince of Darkness -1987

Comment

PM/call me and we can workout the details and payment.
        Provided you are so inclined to grab a few items.
        '93 Blue 5spd 230K(down for clutch and overall maintanence)
        '93 White B6 swap thanks to Skeeters Keeper
        '92 Aqua parts Car
        '93 Turquoise 5spd 137K
        '90 White LX Thanks to FB71

"Your God of repentance will not save you.
        Your holy ghost will not save you.
        Your God plutonium will not save you.
        In fact...
        ...You will not be saved!"

Prince of Darkness -1987

Comment

Hey! I need the driver side underside where the rear beam mounts.
          so I can repair mine. Dose the jy there let you bring in sawzals.

Comment

Originally posted by william View Post
            Hey! I need the driver side underside where the rear beam mounts.
            so I can repair mine. Dose the jy there let you bring in sawzals.
            Probably, they're pretty laid back there.
            90 Festy (Larry)--B6M (Matt D. modified B6 head), header, 5-speed, Capri XR2 front brakes, many other little mods

You can avoid reality, but you can't avoid the consequences of avoiding reality--Ayn Rand

Disaster preparedness

Tragedy and Hope.....Infowars.com.....The Drudge Report.....Founding Fathers.info

Think for yourself.....question all authority.....re-evaluate everything you think you know. Red-pill yourself!

Comment

Nice score man!
              -Rafe-

Things I have for sale.
              Random Festiva Parts
              Festiva Non-Swoopy Power Drivers Mirror

Comment

Epic score Tom!

RIP '92GL, but long live its parts!

Karl
                '93GL "Prettystiva" ticking B3 and 5 speed, backup DD; full swaps in spring!
                '91L "AquaMutt" my '91L; B6 swap/5 speed & Aspire brakes, DD/work car
                '92L "Twinstiva" 5sp, salvage titled, waiting for repairs...
                '93GL "Luxstiva," '94 B6 engine & ATX; needs overhauled
                '89L "Muttstiva," now a storage bin, future trailer project

Comment

Today I picked up the hood, a front spring I needed (original Korean factory strut still had compression!), the headlights, another brake line, the windshield washer reservoir/pump, and the disty and ignition module. $145. The rear beam and the hatch I decided to leave for someone else.

Disaster preparedness

Comment

This morning I decided to go back and get the two rear brakes. Even the rubber seals on the parking brake levers are in great shape. On the way in I noticed another Festy, in a dark/royal blue color, which must have come in yesterday afternoon after I left. Went over to look at it after getting the brakes. Pulled another center bezel, the tach cluster, and the LX door cards. It turned out to be a 90 LX auto with 127K miles. Matthew's getting the door cards. Now I'm even thinking of going back and grabbing the white hatch with wiper, washer and defrost, for Matthew also.

The blue car had 12" tires, but they were all dry-rotted or pretty worn. Otherwise I would have snagged one or more as full-size spares.
                    Last edited by TominMO; 03-22-2014, 01:43 PM.

Disaster preparedness

Comment

Grab what you can when you can! They ain't getting more common. Same with Aspire stuff.

On the good side, we may be approaching the peak of 1st gen ('01 to '05) Kia Rio JY parts.

Karl
                      '93GL "Prettystiva" ticking B3 and 5 speed, backup DD; full swaps in spring!
                      '91L "AquaMutt" my '91L; B6 swap/5 speed & Aspire brakes, DD/work car
                      '92L "Twinstiva" 5sp, salvage titled, waiting for repairs...
                      '93GL "Luxstiva," '94 B6 engine & ATX; needs overhauled
                      '89L "Muttstiva," now a storage bin, future trailer project

Comment

I also pulled the fuel pump from the 74K white car. Someone had obviously been in there, so the pump might even be a new one! Might go back and get the other pump, an alt, and that white hatch for Matthew. The blue car's alt is a reman one.

Disaster preparedness

Comment

Originally posted by TominMO View Post
                          This morning I decided to go back and get the two rear brakes. Even the rubber seals on the parking brake levers are in great shape. On the way in I noticed another Festy, in a dark/royal blue color, which must have come in yesterday afternoon after I left. Went over to look at it after getting the brakes. Pulled another center bezel, the tach cluster, and the LX door cards. It turned out to be a 90 LX auto with 127K miles. Matthew's getting the door cards. Now I'm even thinking of going back and grabbing the white hatch with wiper, washer and defrost, for Matthew also.

The blue car had 12" tires, but they were all dry-rotted or pretty worn. Otherwise I would have snagged one or more as full-size spares.
                          I sure hope you grabbed those power mirrors..
                          1988 LX 5-speed

Gone:

Comment

Originally posted by Spike View Post
                            I sure hope you grabbed those power mirrors..
                            They were just the regular non-power mirrors.

Disaster preparedness

Comment

Ah. Too bad.
                              1988 LX 5-speed

Gone:

Comment

Working...
                              X