A Festiva Miracle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A Festiva Miracle

I have quite the story to share, and I'm just happy to be alive to tell it.

Yesterday afternoon, I hit a patch of gravel on a hairpin turn at a speed of over 110 km/h in my '93 Festiva L. I lost control, veered across the road, rolled my car multiple times into a 12-15 foot bank beside the highway.

What happened after that can truly be considered a miracle. The ambulance crew, police, and doctors all just shake their heads. One doctor said to me "if you have nine lives, you just used one". I was knocked unconcious for over 15 minutes to find that my car was lying on its side in the oppposite direction that I had come from. Two off-duty firefighters found me and promptly called the ambulance. I was extracted from the car through the now-missing hatch and hauled away to the hospital.

My injuries? Almost zero. I have an enormous bump on my head that is actually visible through my hair, probably from hitting the driver side window. I have cuts, scrapes, bruises. My neck is extremely sore and I will be stiff for quite awile. Other then that, I am fine. I walked away from the hospital four hours after being checked into ER.

I am told that my seatbelt saved my life, besides being "lucky". My doctor told me that he has never seen anything like it. There is just no way I should be alive, or even in the condition I am in. It was a miracle, plain and simple.

My car is obviously dead. To be quite honest, I have not seen the car yet, as it was all a blur as they extracted me and put me on a spine board. I remember the inside of the car.......all the windows, windshield, etc were smashed...like I said, they dragged me out of a non-existant hatch. My days as a Festiva owner are over. I don't think I'll ever buy another one. I loved the car, it was fun, economical, zippy, all that good stuff. But the way I look at it, I just won the lottery ticket. I got away this time, but there is no way I should be in such good shape, or even alive. It's a miracle. My next car will be safer. I'm not taking anymore chances.

Oh, and my fellow young guys (and young at heart), please, please slow down. I often drive like I have nothing to lose. Yesterday my speed almost killed me. Besides totalling my car, recieving a violation ticket for $368 (driving with undue care) , I could have died. Don't let it happen to you.

And if God does exist, wow. Thanks.

On another note, I may be parting out the car. I need to go find the car and survey the damage. I'll be updating.

Just happy to be alive.

Aaron
    A Festiva saved my life.
    Former owner of a '93 L.
    Rolled her at 120 km/h and walked away.
    R.I.P. "747"

I'm glad to hear that you are not hurt that bad at all. I'm sorry to hear that your car got totalled. What car are you planning on buying next? You should look for another Festy. They're not that unsafe.

Black '89 Ford Festiva L with 4 Speed Manual Transmission

Comment

glad to hear you are ok. sounds like a hell of an accident. take care and rest up! if i was gonna buy a new car id probably get a yaris, but i hate that funky dash.
      "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." -Mohandas Gandhi

Comment

Glad to hear you're OK. Sounds like the Festiva did a pretty darn good job of protecting you!

Comment

Why are you getting a "safer" car even though you were speeding. It wasn't the car's fault. It was YOURS. I don't mean to sound like a jerk, but I'm defending the Festiva.

Comment

I glad to hear you made it out alive,some people don't.

To quote you .... 110 Kph on a hairpin turn when you hit gravel and lost control.

If you keep driving like this NO car is going to keep you out of the grave.

Again, glad you made it out alive !!!!!!! I would chock it up as a learning experience and move on. Sounds like you learned from it already
            money pit

No spitters were I work, you swallow it all. The Company feels if you already have it in your mouth why waste it.

Comment

Obviously I was at fault. I take full responsibility for the accident. I won't be driving for a while, I can hardly stand being in a vehicle right now, and I won't be able to afford a new car for a few months. I'm taking this as a lesson and moving on.

And your right, the festy did take care of me pretty well. I haven't seen the car except from the inside, so I can't really comment on the damage, except that the roof is intact. I'll have pics up soon.

I will probably end up getting another small car. It's like my mom told me today on the phone, I need to drive safely regardless of the car I'm driving. It's not the Festy's fault. It was mine.
              A Festiva saved my life.
              Former owner of a '93 L.
              Rolled her at 120 km/h and walked away.
              R.I.P. "747"

Comment

Originally posted by WBBulldogs
                Why are you getting a "safer" car even though you were speeding. It wasn't the car's fault. It was YOURS. I don't mean to sound like an asshole, but I'm defending the Festiva.
                The words right out of my mouth..

A hairpin turn @ 110kph?? Sounds like poor judgement, driving skills and knowledge of the road you are driving on, but most likely all 3.

Glad you're ok, but kudos to the Festiva for saving you're life.. You should be kissing it, not dissing it.. :lol:

Edit: you posted before I saw your reply..

Comment

the 1987-90 Ford Festivas were assessed in the Used Car Safety Ratings 2006 as providing "significantly worse than average" protection for their occupants in the event of a crash
                  Ian Carr
                  88' flat black festy, has an e-brake that works!
                  99' S70 T5M- faster DD
                  86' 951- almost ready for track season

My old b6t- wish i still had it
                  http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2241793

Every car I have owned has had a turbo in it, until I bought this latest festiva.. I plan to fix that though.

Comment

Originally posted by project b6t
                    the 1987-90 Ford Festivas were assessed in the Used Car Safety Ratings 2006 as providing "significantly worse than average" protection for their occupants in the event of a crash
                    Well in this case it was "significantly ABOVE average"

Comment

Glad to hear you'll be OK!
                      Brian
                      http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2274977

93 GL modyfied!!!
                      :fish:

Comment

That's truly amazing! I had a small fender bender last winter in my daily driver at no more than 15mph in the snow and it was enough to crush the corner of my core support break my headlight, corner light crush the fender and destroy the bumper cover. I couldn't imagine crashing a Festiva at the speeds you described
                        Paul
                        91GL
                        Menomonee Falls, WI

Comment

Ahh come on, some stiffer springs and wider tires you can make it. Whats a little setback. :twisted: No more festivas for you until you learn how to drive. Just kidding, glad you are alive to tell the story :!:
                          sigpic
                          The Don - Midwest Festiva Inc., Missouri Chapter

Link to my festiva pictures below
                          https://fordfestiva.com/forums/album.php?albumid=10
                          Celebrating 25 years of festiva(s) ownership.

Comment

1) I am glad also that you are OK !!
                            2) I see too many accidents involving younger peoplle , Too fast for the conditions , be aware of your surroundings if you are going to drive faster than posted .
                            3) Yes I think you need another Festiva .
                            4) Take a break and regroup.
                            5) Yes God does exist
                            ------------------------------------------------
                            The Trigger - Midwest Festiva Inc., Illinois Chapter
                            Smart Passion white with H-D interior
                            HD2500 Duramax Chevy
                            Harley Davidson Ultra classic ..I am in love !!
                            Pro Street S-10 http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2214968
                            Diamond white Deville 27,000 mile cream puff
                            Z28 LS1 power 500 +
                            90 Festy L daily driver wants to be modded, OK
                            It is being modded , a little at a time http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2214953

Join me on Facebook !! ;http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?...00000295094896

Comment

I would like to request a moment of silence for the Festiva that gave its live to save one of our own :salute:
                              Paul
                              91GL
                              Menomonee Falls, WI

Comment

Working...
                              X