Who is getting 60+ MPG consistently.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Who is getting 60+ MPG consistently.

Anyone getting 60 MPG or better at 55+ MPH on a pretty consistent basis?

This has been my goal for a little bit now and I was getting low 50's with some aerodynamic mods but pretty sure my headgasket has been blown since I bought the car. Hoping that a headgasket change and slight milling of the head will get me a little closer to my goal.

I get 45-49 consistently. No Mods, just some hypermiling. Just got 49.22 on my last tank. And 49.69 once last year. Haven't broke the 50mpg quite yet but I'm sure I could if I drove the whole tank well. Something always comes up and I'm in a hurry haha or my wife ends up driving the car...
    Last edited by Zcallicutt7; 03-26-2014, 01:50 PM.

Comment

At 55 MPH with a 5-speed and skinny tires, I would expect to see about 58 MPG, based on my testing.. Faster = less, of course.
      90 Festy (Larry)--B6M (Matt D. modified B6 head), header, 5-speed, Capri XR2 front brakes, many other little mods
      09 Kia Rondo--a Festy on steroids!

You can avoid reality, but you can't avoid the consequences of avoiding reality--Ayn Rand

Disaster preparedness

Tragedy and Hope.....Infowars.com.....The Drudge Report.....Founding Fathers.info

Think for yourself.....question all authority.....re-evaluate everything you think you know. Red-pill yourself!

Comment

Tom, Thanks for pointing that out. Gives me hope that mine will do 60 MPG once fixed. I have a grill block and kammback so that should help a little.

Z,

That is great mileage for a stock car.

Anyone getting over 60? I thought there were a few guys shooting for really high MPG.

Comment

Mid 30s on my 5-speed, so nope.

No idea what is causing it either. I have tried everything engine wise to try and get the MPGs up.

Swapped out the Bosche O2 for a Denso, nothing.
          Timed the engine to factory specs. Nothing
          Trying different brands of gas, and using different grades of gas. Nothing
          New Air filter, fuel filter, fuel sock. Nothing
          Checked the Fuel Pressure Regulator. perfectly fine
          Checked for vacuum leaks. There were none. (Tried both starting fluid, and smoke as methods of finding them)
          Checked Compression, all Cylinders around 155.
          Brakes are not dragging either.

I am outta ideas. I don't think I can get them any better, and I see no difference in MPGs between the old 12"s and my current 13"s.
          Last edited by TorqueEffect; 03-28-2014, 12:20 AM.
          1991 Ford Festiva BP (Full Aspire/Rio Swap) (337k Miles) (Around 95k Engine)
          2002 Chevy Cavalier LS Sport 2.2L DOHC Ecotec (Threw a Rod)
          1998 Chevy Monte Carlo LS 3.1 V6 (225k miles) Best MPG = 28

Comment

Most I"ve ever gotten on mine is 52 and that happened twice. It was on 12" tires and wheels. Now it has 14" and the most I've seen with them is 41.7. Hopefully that will change soon.
            Last edited by Team Lightning; 03-28-2014, 12:58 AM.
            Jerry
            Team Lightning

Owner of Team Lightning
            90 L "Peewee" B6D. Bought new May 16,1990
            92 L Thunder BP G5M-R Turbo B6T electronics. Jan 2016 FOTM winner SOLD
            93 L Lightning. BP

Not a user of drugs or alcohol, Just addicted to Festiva's

Comment

I get between 33 and 35 mpg in a stock 90 L on stock 12"s. What engine / aerodynamic mods need to be done to achieve your level of mpg?

image.jpg
              Last edited by SoCalZ28; 03-28-2014, 02:26 AM.
              1990 Festiva L

Comment

[QUOTE=SoCalZ28;648721]I get between 33 and 35 mpg in a stock 90 L on stock 12"s. What engine / aerodynamic mods need to be done to achieve your level of mpg?

Is your an auto or manual transmission?
                Jerry
                Team Lightning

Owner of Team Lightning
                93 L Lightning. BP

Comment

1990 L should be a manual.. but I could be wrong.
                  White '92 GL 5-speed BP, G series, Aspire/Rio swapped, "Nancy"
                  White '89 LX 5-speed, Aspire swapped, Weber carb
                  1988 LX 5-speed
                  ​​​1993 L 5-speed B8, E series, Aspire/Rio swapped

Gone:

1986 Chevrolet Sprint 1990 L Plus Auto

Comment

Most I've see on mine is 48MPG at 55-60. I drive over 2 mountains every day and coast down hill. Stock B3 with 12" tires.
                    "Fred" 93 Festiva L B6-ME Swap
                    “Though he is small, he is but fierce.”

Comment

A perfect front end,toe at zero and all your bearings must have the correct pre load. You can only do so much to the engine,but if the frictional drag is to much.It just kills these little engines MPG abilities.
                      Some people like to read fiction,I prefer to read repair manuals. Weird I know-
                      Henry Ford: "Failure is the opportunity to begin again more intelligently"
                      Fuseable Link Distribution Block repair link

Comment

My best tank is 51 MPG. Never really gotten less than 42 at any highway speed or in town.

Mods are:
                        Kammback
                        Grill block
                        12 factory steelies with new tires.

No other mods. The grill block was worth 3-4 MPG easily. It made the car warm up faster and is more aerodynamic on the highway. The kammback was worth over 5 MPG on the highway.

Comment

Do you have picts of your car with the mods?
                          Jerry
                          Team Lightning

Owner of Team Lightning
                          93 L Lightning. BP

Comment

I do somewhere. Let me find them.

Comment

Here is a pic of kammback.

Also I added side skirts but no chance to test yet since head gasket is really bad now. Going to drain the radiator fluid today and see if milky.

Last edited by mach1soldier; 03-28-2014, 01:52 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X