1989 Fi auto Festiva running poorly

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1989 Fi auto Festiva running poorly

I recently purchased this festiva non running. I put a new distributor in it and it fired right up. I then put new plugs, wires, cap and rotor in it. It still starts right up but something is wrong. First I can smell gas like it is running very rich. Next if I give it just a little gas say 1/8 pedal it acts like it is missing and just barely putts. If I rev it fast it revs right up cleanly. The car only has 90k on it and I'd like to make it my work vehicle after reading all the good things on here about them. I'm not sure where to go from here. It's just running like a dog. Not like a Great Dane either but more like a pug. It also stalls out when I come to a stop unless I give it gas while on the brakes. Any ideas? Thanks in advance.
    Last edited by Corycarlo; 04-03-2014, 02:39 PM.

If it dies at a stop, what RPM (warm) does it idle at in Park? Have you run a can of SeaFoam through the fuel tank, checked the in-tank fuel sock (filter)? Almost sounds like it's got a fuel obstruction. Could be as simple as a new fuel filter. When I bought my '90 Auto, it still had the original fuel filter (183k miles after it was sent here from Korea :p) and stuttered a bit when getting going. Could also check the VAF. Next person will be more skilled than I, though. Listen to them!

Good luck, sir.

-Joe
    White '92 GL 5-speed BP, G series, Aspire/Rio swapped, "Nancy"
    White '89 LX 5-speed, Aspire swapped, Weber carb
    1988 LX 5-speed
    ​​​1993 L 5-speed B8, E series, Aspire/Rio swapped

Gone:

1986 Chevrolet Sprint 1990 L Plus Auto

Comment

My festiva does not have a tach so I can't tell you the rpms. I did run a can of seafom thru it hoping it would help with no luck. I did not change the fuel filter which I will do now. Also I haven't pulled the in tank sock with which I will also check. Thanks for the tips!

Comment

Check the wire contacts in the plug on the "vane airflow meter". If they are corroded, clean them. Also check to see if you have a nest in the container where the air filter is. Then give it a try. If the airflow meter is not working correctly it will cause your engine to sputter and stall, or like it's running out of gas.
        Just a thought.
        1993 Ford Festiva L blue 170,000 miles
        1990 Ford Festiva L Plus white 190,000 Auto, currently waiting to have another engine put in.
        1995 Ford F150 XLT black 203,000 miles
        2002 Honda CRV silver 180,000 miles
        2003 Toyota Rav4 Sport black 94,000 miles
        2008 Sym Rv250 dark grey 30,000 miles. My scooter.
        1989 Ford Festiva LX black 233,000 miles. Sold to my better half's son.

Mike

Comment

I will check the contacts. No nest in the airbox tho. Checked it out good when I put a new air filter in.

Comment

Are you getting any codes from the computer? Definitely sounds like it is running pig rich. If it is running really rich, careful it doesn't mix into the oil.
            - Form should follow function...

Comment

Yes I just pulled code 8 from the engine. MAF which would explain it running rich. Now any ideas to fix it? Feel like we are getting closer! Thanks

Comment

Buy a new one or is there a way to clean the old one?

Comment

You can take the top off and check if the contacts are dirty. It is glued together so it is a bear to take apart. Check all the contacts on the connector plugs and the wires first to make sure they aren't the problem.

Might want to try a junkyard instead of buying new, as they can be fairly pricey if I remember.
                  Last edited by SiliconSoul; 04-03-2014, 05:14 PM.

Comment

All the plugs look good. I did find one online for $100 new. May pick that up

Comment

I see the auto parts store sells MAF cleaner. Has anyone successfully cleaned one of these on a festiva and been trouble free with it? If so what was the process?

Comment

Better yet, I just removed the MAF and the air intake hose is full of oil. Prob why the MAF sensor went bad since there's oil inside of that too. Why would there be oil there, any idea what's going on?

Comment

Hey Corycarlo, take a look at this video : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xkyfjo7spFc

It's not a Mass Air Flow sensor, we use what's called a Vane Air Flow sensor. The contacts that people have had become dirty are located under the Black plastic cover on the top of the meter. If you want to try cleaning it, remove the black plastic cover and clean the metal contacts you find underneath. If you are lucky, that is going to be your problem. I haven't personally done it, but others here have and have had success. Make sure after you clean it that you seal it with some type of sealant to keep the water out.

And for what it's worth, I've sprayed the crap out of mine with throttle body cleaner and let it dry and had no issues. I had one also full of oil, but it didn't seem to been causing a problem. I just did it as a precautionary measure.

Here, even found you another better video : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-11J8XawQtc
                          Last edited by SiliconSoul; 04-04-2014, 06:23 PM.

Comment

You have excessive blow-by. Very common in Festys.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                            "Fred" 93 Festiva L B6-ME Swap
                            “Though he is small, he is but fierce.”

Comment

Originally posted by Corycarlo View Post
                              Better yet, I just removed the MAF and the air intake hose is full of oil. Prob why the MAF sensor went bad since there's oil inside of that too. Why would there be oil there, any idea what's going on?
                              Oil is being sucked up in there. The engine is obviously lacking air flow at times.
                              1993 Ford Festiva L blue 170,000 miles
                              1990 Ford Festiva L Plus white 190,000 Auto, currently waiting to have another engine put in.
                              1995 Ford F150 XLT black 203,000 miles
                              2002 Honda CRV silver 180,000 miles
                              2003 Toyota Rav4 Sport black 94,000 miles
                              2008 Sym Rv250 dark grey 30,000 miles. My scooter.
                              1989 Ford Festiva LX black 233,000 miles. Sold to my better half's son.

Mike

Comment

Working...
                              X